Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
danydandan

Anecdotes and Anecdotal Evidence.

1,048 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Sherapy
5 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

First off - if you have something to add like this, just quote me again. Cause I'm likely to miss it if you just edit it on afterwards.

Now to actually address this...

I've explained this to you before, but being "educated" by someone is to consider the educator the superior with greater credentials than the person being educated. That's not how forums like this work. You can definately learn things from other people by exchanging ideas, but none of us "educate" one another, because we view each other as equals. I don't seek to "educate" anyone here, I simply seek to share my viewpoints, which hopefully others can take something away from, and others are free to share their views that I can hopefully take something away from.

You on the other hand are acting as some high and mighty know-it-all who's trying to educate us lowly uneducated peasants. I'm not against learning new things, I'm against some random jackass on the internet thinking they have all the answers and that everyone should listen to all their great wisdom. 

And lastly, no, I'm not trying to shut you up. I'm simply trying to get you to see how your high and mighty attitude is what's ruining just about everything you go say.

What is Interesting to me is how he is always fighting with someone.

I do not understand why he stays here, but each to his own. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
3 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

First off - if you have something to add like this, just quote me again. Cause I'm likely to miss it if you just edit it on afterwards.

Now to actually address this...

I've explained this to you before, but being "educated" by someone is to consider the educator the superior with greater credentials than the person being educated. That's not how forums like this work. You can definately learn things from other people by exchanging ideas, but none of us "educate" one another, because we view each other as equals. I don't seek to "educate" anyone here, I simply seek to share my viewpoints, which hopefully others can take something away from, and others are free to share their views that I can hopefully take something away from.

You on the other hand are acting as some high and mighty know-it-all who's trying to educate us lowly uneducated peasants. I'm not against learning new things, I'm against some random jackass on the internet thinking they have all the answers and that everyone should listen to all their great wisdom. 

And lastly, no, I'm not trying to shut you up. I'm simply trying to get you to see how your high and mighty attitude is what's ruining just about everything you go say.

No, an educator just knows stuff. They are not better or superior people.  I wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes  as a teacher if i had thought myself  better or superior to my kids. And the y would have picked up on that attitude  BUT i gave them knowledge about all sorts of things which empowered them and set them up for life in what ever role they chose. Teaching is not about yourself but about others, and what you can give to them 

My mum and dad were my first educators. i started educating my younger brother when i was about 5  The people who taught me to put up a tight fence, or  shear or plumb, or do electrical work, were  all educators.  

What you do with knowledge is up to you, but as Mark Twain once said (to paraphrase) A person who chooses to be ignorant  is a fool, A person who never had an opportunity to be educated is not 

I am not  "acting " in any way shape or form.  Like you, I am being who I am.

You can do as you please, but so can I ( unless i am truly trying to hurt or offend anyone ).  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King
3 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

What is Interesting to me is how he is always fighting with someone.

I do not understand why he stays here, but each to his own. 

Civil conversations on the internet seem to be a rarity these days...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
7 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

ok i can respect that. My brother is much the same

Oh i don't ONLY want to educate i came here to BE educated but unfortunately  there aren't many posters with genuine experiences who can stand the heat generated .  Its my "inflated" ego and sense of self worth  (and my sense of humour) which keeps me here.

I view no one as below me It is interesting how I generate that perception I tactfully see all humans as inherently equal and only differentiated by how they live their lives.

I appreciate my own good fortune in life, but also know how hard ive worked to be who I am .  

i dont actually have an overblown ego, just a strong and healthy one I must admit to sometimes "stirring the pot " on this because it is such a silly and funny  belief about me.

  I have flaws weaknesses and areas where  I lack dills and knowledge I don't argue in those areas  But ive spent 65 years consciously building, expanding, and strengthening as many skills and as much knowledge as i can, so that i can give more to others.   I see no need to apologise for that or the resulting person i have become.

So you believe that my "character flaws"  negate  my opinions.  Interesting opinion.  I will admit that when teaching adolescents it was important to be entertaining but the entertainment only facilitated the learning. I hadn't realised that some adults require similar engagement. ie they wont listen to a person they don't like. One would hope that  adults had grown out of that  attitude       

Ps i care deeply.  Education serves an important   purpose (i am biased on this)  A person is empowered and skilled by everything they learn, from  how to speak through how to use a wrench  or fix an electrical circuit, to  becoming a professional like a doctor The more educated a person is the more personally empowered they are and the more things they can offer to a community (but a good hair dresser, and especially a plumber)  has as much value as a good doctor  

First and foremost i have always been an educator only because i loved people and wanted to help them. There was never a day when i did not want to go to work.  

  

 

If your not trustworthy or credible in the world of equals, no one will listen to you. As we have all told you many times.

Credibility is everything, as well as some other skills you do not possess, in the online environment, which is your Achilles heel.

Noone listens to a person they do not like, lol Honestly, you must know this. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

What is Interesting to me is how he is always fighting with someone.

I do not understand why he stays here, but each to his own. 

 

Not fighting.  Arguing, discussing etc. I stay for many reasons. 

One is hinted at in your comment ie I should leave rather than put up with your reactions to me putting forward and  defending different opinions, values, beliefs etc than those you hold dear. 

That only makes me more determined to stay    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
Just now, Aquila King said:

Civil conversations on the internet seem to be a rarity these days...

Well they are abound, we have them all the time, but then in comes a poster who if it isn't about them, they manipulate the dialog until it is.

Do not let a few posters ruin your experience here. We all know you are a shoot from the hip kinda poster and no one has issue with it.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
1 minute ago, Mr Walker said:

Not fighting.  Arguing, discussing etc. I stay for many reasons. 

One is hinted at in your comment ie I should leave rather than put up with your reactions to me putting forward and  defending different opinions, values, beliefs etc than those you hold dear. 

That only makes me more determined to stay    

You are always in conflict with posters or creating it.

You do what  you want and will, but it is a fair question what are you getting out of the constant drama you create? Attention?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King
Just now, Sherapy said:

We all know you are a shoot from the hip kinda poster and no one has issue with it.

Oh, on the contrary, I'm pretty sure there are people who have issue with it. :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

If your not trustworthy or credible in the world of equals, no one will listen to you. As we have all told you many times.

Credibility is everything, as well as some other skills you do not possess, in the online environment, which is your Achilles heel.

Noone listens to a person they do not like, lol Honestly, you must know this. 

And yet  you dont trust me, when all i do is tell the truth So, to take your attitude, I cant win.

The problem with credibility is that it only exists in another's mind  

Despite me always being totally truthful you don't find me credible. There is no more i can do, so i might as well just keep telling the truth and put up with your disbelief  

Oh, i could be more tactful and humble, and suck up to people as some do ,  but as I've said before, to do so would be deceitful, and just  using that to make me more credible 

No i dont know that.

There have only been about 3 people in my life, out of many thousands, whom i did not truly like,  but I would listen to them and learn from  them Not to do so would deprive me of their knowledge and be self defeating  Like I've said before ,  i personally believe you rank popularity much too highly as a personality trait. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
2 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Oh, on the contrary, I'm pretty sure there are people who have issue with it. :lol:

True, some will but it is about them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

You are always in conflict with posters or creating it.

You do what  you want and will, but it is a fair question what are you getting out of the constant drama you create? Attention?

I do not create the drama or argument.

  That comes from the   difference between my own values, beliefs and attitudes, and other's

 What do you want me to do? Pretend to agree or to give into ideas etc I find wrong and dangerous or allow peole to remain ignorant about things ? 

Winter will come, no matter how nice you are . :) 

I'd be happy with NO personal attention, and  only discussion/ argument about ideas etc   The rest is just a waste of my time. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
11 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Well they are abound, we have them all the time, but then in comes a poster who if it isn't about them, they manipulate the dialog until it is.

Do not let a few posters ruin your experience here. We all know you are a shoot from the hip kinda poster and no one has issue with it.

Hey who , more than any other poster here,  constantly makes it all about me,  rather than the debate ?

'Answer, Sherapy 

Then i have to correct and straighten out the lies and misinformation you post  as fact, rather than opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

And yet  you dont trust me, when all i do is tell the truth So, to take your attitude, I cant win.

The problem with credibility is that it only exists in another's mind  

Despite me always being totally truthful you don't find me credible. There is no more i can do, so i might as well just keep telling the truth and put up with your disbelief  

Oh, i could be more tactful and humble, and suck up to people as some do ,  but as I've said before, to do so would be deceitful, and just  using that to make me more credible 

No i dont know that.

There have only been about 3 people in my life, out of many thousands, whom i did not truly like,  but I would listen to them and learn from  them Not to do so would deprive me of their knowledge and be self defeating  Like I've said before ,  i personally believe you rank popularity much too highly as a personality trait. 

For me, it is your credibility factor, and I don't mean on a personal level or your personal tales or how you choose to create your persona. there is nothing wrong with having a flair for drama or wanting to be over the top.

When I say credibility, I mean the ability to form judgments from facts, you are not unbiased, or self correcting, nor do you seem committed to going beyond egocentrism, and you over inflate your data base and lack in basic epistemic humility.   

It is on these grounds I do not put much if any weight into what you say.

And, you take everything personal, why?

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King
6 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Hey who , more than any other poster here,  constantly makes it all about me,  rather than the debate ?

'Answer, Sherapy 

Then i have to correct and straighten out the lies and misinformation you post  as fact, rather than opinion. 

When most of your arguments rely on personal anecdotes, your credibility will naturally be called into question. And to question one's credibility is to at least in part, question their character.

You make it about you, because that's where all your arguments ultimately lead back to. YOU.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Hey who , more than any other poster here,  constantly makes it all about me,  rather than the debate ?

'Answer, Sherapy 

Then i have to correct and straighten out the lies and misinformation you post  as fact, rather than opinion. 

Dude, you jump at the opportunity to make it all about you.

I see it as an opportunity to start a dialog to offer feedback so you can be an integral respected contributor.  

I actually want this for you.

You can't bear that some posters don't believe your anecdotal history, so you have been on a vendetta ever since and instead of leave your personal stuff out you go on these campaigns to defend yourself.

Focus on nurturing your critical application, you will find your growth here, no one wants advice, we are all adults here who decide for ourselves what is best for us.  

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruby04
1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

I think you don't need Mw's advice, you are just fine on your own.

 

His advice wasn’t even advice. 

Not that I’d take what him and his over inflated ego says. 

 

Thankyou thou :) 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
3 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

His advice wasn’t even advice. 

Not that I’d take what him and his over inflated ego says. 

 

Thankyou thou :) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
3 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Dude, you jump at the opportunity to make it all about you.

I see it as an opportunity to start a dialog to offer feedback so you can be an integral respected contributor.  

I actually want this for you.

You can't bear that some posters don't believe your anecdotal history, so you have been on a vendetta ever since and instead of leave your personal stuff out you go on these campaigns to defend yourself.

Focus on nurturing your critical application, you will find your growth here, no one wants advice, we are all adults here who decide for ourselves what is best for us.  

No you see it as an opportunity to criticise me rather than the debate. You don't like me offeringothers advice but see yourself as my guru :) You sometimes s couch it in pleasantries but the nastiness is there and is seen by those not blinded by your facade 

Its never been about what you believe Sherapy ie you can believe as you will.

 Its about what you claim publicly about me and my character in order  to invalidate the stories i tell.

Because you cannot cant bear even  the possibility that they  might be true, you have to silence me in any way you can 

And I have a responsibility to you, as fellow human beings, to offer advice even when it is unwanted

You have a perfect right to not listen, or to ignore such advice,  but not to try and silence me, leaving only your opinions and values to be heard 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Aquila King said:

When most of your arguments rely on personal anecdotes, your credibility will naturally be called into question. And to question one's credibility is to at least in part, question their character.

You make it about you, because that's where all your arguments ultimately lead back to. YOU.

Untrue .

You may question my  credibity.

  That is normal and logical.

However because you do not know the truth, you cant judge my character based on the BELIEF tha t I am, for example, untruthful.

As it happens i  suspect that I am one of the most truthful people on this forum, and certainly one of the most open and forthright .

I am exactly what you see (although you only see a small part of me online)

  Perhaps that is why some don't like me.

They are used to social lies and pleasantries which hide the truth. 

MAny people  would never open up on a forum like this, to talk about their own experiences with the unexplained, precisely because such honesty is ridiculed and decried as lies, or the perceptions of a  not too clever mind    

The arguments lead back to me mostly because they are otherwise unwinnable on the grounds of logic or fact. 

Edited by Mr Walker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
2 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

No you see it as an opportunity to criticise me rather than the debate. You don't like me offeringothers advice but see yourself as my guru :) You sometimes s couch it in pleasantries but the nastiness is there and is seen by those not blinded by your facade 

Its never been about what you believe Sherapy ie you can believe as you will.

 Its about what you claim publicly about me and my character in order  to invalidate the stories i tell.

Because you cannot cant bear even  the possibility that they  might be true, you have to silence me in any way you can 

And I have a responsibility to you, as fellow human beings, to offer advice even when it is unwanted

You have a perfect right to not listen, or to ignore such advice,  but not to try and silence me, leaving only your opinions and values to be heard 

Nonsense, this is all manufactured by you for reasons only known to you.

 Walker, get some sleep. Sheesh.  

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King
8 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Untrue .

You may question my  credibity.

  That is normal and logical.

However because you do not know the truth, you cant judge my character based on the BELIEF tha t I am, for example, untruthful.

As it happens i  suspect that I am one of the most truthful people on this forum, and certainly one of the most open and forthright .

I am exactly what you see (although you only see a small part of me online)

  Perhaps that is why some don't like me.

They are used to social lies and pleasantries which hide the truth. 

MAny people  would never open up on a forum like this, to talk about their own experiences with the unexplained, precisely because such honesty is ridiculed and decried as lies, or the perceptions of a  not too clever mind    

I can only go on what you post, and based on that you're an arrogant self-obsessed lying prick.

I don't have to believe anything when it's as plain as the nose on your face.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Nonsense, this is all manufactured by you for reasons only known to you.

 Walker, get some sleep. Sheesh.  

 

lol Just woke up from a good sleep.

No I cant know for certain but a lot of clues tell me your pleasant exterior hides a rather difernt inner self 

 Some toughness is not surprising given your childhood, nor is a tendency to hide your  inner angst from public view.

But either you are so trapped in your own world view that you  can not see beyond it, or you deliberately manufacture misunderstandings  in your own mind  about people who are unlike yourself and then state them publicly, as if they were true Eg "Oh mr walker makes up a relationship with god. That is because he is needy, or damaged by his abusive upbringing. Clearly its made up because all of us educated people know tha  god is not real, don't we"    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King

Notice that once again, the thread has been derailed from anecdotal evidence and back onto the topic of Mr. Walker... <_<

I won't keep discussing that topic any further.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
Just now, Aquila King said:

I can only go on what you post, and based on that you're an arrogant self-obsessed lying prick.

I don't have to believe anything when it's as plain as the nose on your face.

lol You've just made my point, totally.

There is absolutely no way you  can know that iam lying, particularly because I am not.

Yet, based on belief you judge not only ny stories but my character  

So many people with such fragile egos.  It really is sad. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

Notice that once again, the thread has been derailed from anecdotal evidence and back onto the topic of Mr. Walker... <_<

I won't keep discussing that topic any further.

Good. Now if certain other people could also manage that, we could remain on topic 

Ironic isnt it, given the OP, that a poster can be so harshly judged on anecdotal evidences and narratives, when all that needs to be said is, "I do not believe you" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.