Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
danydandan

Anecdotes and Anecdotal Evidence.

1,048 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Jodie.Lynne
5 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Ironic isnt it, given the OP, that a poster can be so harshly judged on anecdotal evidences and narratives, when all that needs to be said is, "I do not believe you" 

This has actually been said, by several people.

The really sad part is that some of the things you assert MAY be true, but your reputation precedes you, causing folk to disbelieve your claims.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Mr Walker
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

This has actually been said, by several people.

The really sad part is that some of the things you assert MAY be true, but your reputation precedes you, causing folk to disbelieve your claims.

Everthing i narrate is true as far as I can know.

  Which makes for an interesting question as to WHY some people cant believe any of it .

BUT when people stop at simply saying  they don't believe me that is fine However such a statement  reflects on them and properties of their mind, so to take the onus from their disbelief,   they often feel the need to go and and try and justify or validate WHY  they don't believe, and that  soon leads   them into attacking my character.  Kinda circular.

" I dont believe you coz your'e a liar. How do i know you're a liar?  Because you tell lies. The things you talk about are impossible "   and  yet i don't, and the y are possible,  and  all actually happened.

   That is just  (some) readers choosing to disbelieve me, then constructing a reason WHY they chose to disbelieve, to validate their choice and, maybe, to avoid having to think what it means if i am truth telling    

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

lol Just woke up from a good sleep.

No I cant know for certain but a lot of clues tell me your pleasant exterior hides a rather difernt inner self 

 Some toughness is not surprising given your childhood, nor is a tendency to hide your  inner angst from public view.

But either you are so trapped in your own world view that you  can not see beyond it, or you deliberately manufacture misunderstandings  in your own mind  about people who are unlike yourself and then state them publicly, as if they were true Eg "Oh mr walker makes up a relationship with god. That is because he is needy, or damaged by his abusive upbringing. Clearly its made up because all of us educated people know tha  god is not real, don't we"    

Again, you are not making any sense, once again you have sought me out to rant and rail at. 

You are paranoid and irrational, try breathing, you are emotionally out of control right now.

I am not interested in anything but a peaceful dialog.

 

 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
Just now, Sherapy said:

Again, you are not making any sense, once again you have sought me out to rant and rail at. 

You are paranoid and irrational, try breathing, you are emotionally out of control right now.

 

 

lol You're the expert on that, and see what i mean You cant help making it personal but expect me to stop and let you say such dumb things I am actually siting here laughing . That is about the only out of control emotion am feeling.

I dont believe you sherapy. it has taken me years but Ive finally decided you were harmed as a child and it reflects in how you are forced to deal with the world as an adult.

It may not be your fault, but it has made you who you are on the inside, while you present a nice facade on the outside.

 (IMO) You need control and certainty in your life, very badly, and so you create it inside your mind, even when it doesn't actually exist, and insist on it in your real life.  Thus you avoid difficult and challenging scenarios such as your relationship with your mother and oyur sister  (and possibly, although this  is only a guess, with your first husband)   and keep your children home for schooling so you aren't faced withe uncertainties raised by public schooling, and the values it might instil  OF course you raised your boys without conflict because conflict of any kind is an   anathema  to be avoided at any cost Youhad more tha enough of it as a young child 

Now,  I wouldn't usually make such personal  observations about a person  but you've been doing it to me for over a decade, and constantly getting it wrong.

             

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
24 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Which makes for an interesting question as to WHY some people cant believe any of it .

 

24 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

 they often feel the need to go and and try and justify or validate WHY  they don't believe

So which is it? Do you want to know why people don't believe you?

Or are you trying to chastise people for expressing why they don't believe you?

I'm just going to give my number 1 personal reason for disbelieving you: You offer zero corroboration for your claims. We only have your (anecdotal) statements to go by.

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

lol You're the expert on that, and see what i mean You cant help making it personal but expect me to stop and let you say such dumb things I am actually siting here laughing . That is about the only out of control emotion am feeling.

I dont believe you sherapy. it has taken me years but Ive finally decided you were harmed as a child and it reflects in how you are forced to deal with the world as an adult.

It may not be your fault, but it has made you who you are on the inside, while you present a nice facade on the outside.

 (IMO) You need control and certainty in your life, very badly, and so you create it inside your mind, even when it doesn't actually exist, and insist on it in your real life.  Thus you avoid difficult and challenging scenarios such as your relationship with your mother and oyur sister  (and possibly, although this  is only a guess, with your first husband)   and keep your children home for schooling so you aren't faced withe uncertainties raised by public schooling, and the values it might instil  OF course you raised your boys without conflict because conflict of any kind is an   anathema  to be avoided at any cost Youhad more tha enough of it as a young child 

Now,  I wouldn't usually make such personal  observations about a person  but you've been doing it to me for over a decade, and constantly getting it wrong.

             

Well don't quit your day job. LOL

take a deep breath and get back on topic. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
3 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

 

So which is it? Do you want to know why people don't believe you?

Or are you trying to chastise people for expressing why they don't believe you?

I'm just going to give my number 1 personal reason for disbelieving you: You offer zero corroboration for your claims. We only have your (anecdotal) statements to go by.

Psychology gives a good reason, not only why people choose to disbelieve, but why that disbelief alone is not enough for them, and they have to attack the person holding the beliefs  or telling the stories in

. order to feel validated in their disbelief  The person we construct ourselves to be and things like gender and beliefs are powerful to us, and we don't like having them challenged 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
3 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

 

So which is it? Do you want to know why people don't believe you?

Or are you trying to chastise people for expressing why they don't believe you?

I'm just going to give my number 1 personal reason for disbelieving you: You offer zero corroboration for your claims. We only have your (anecdotal) statements to go by.

Sorry the key board went  a bit loopy

As to your last point. You really dont get it, do you?  . Belief and disibelief can only be constructed and held when there are no evidences  

So while i present you with no evidences, you have a choice either to believe or disbelieve.

If i gave you evidences, you would have knowledge and no room to either believe or disbelieve.

My question remains why choose the option of disbelieving  over believing when belief and disbelief  MUST occur without evidences  ?   

yOu only ever have "anecdotal" evidences for everything which  you do not experience for yourself.  How do you chose what to believe and what not to believe ? Do you just go with the crowd/popular opinion?

  So. You have no evidences that I own 3 dogs called Misty Ruby and Beau.

I cannot provide you with indisputable evidences that I own those 3 dogs  Anything I do provide online cannot be verified.

Are you going to disbelieve me because of that ?   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Well don't quit your day job. LOL

take a deep breath and get back on topic. 

You're doing it again ie   implying i am upset   Why should i be upset, when it is you  who has a problem? 

From your last post writing something untrue as if it was already establish fact and i needed to act upon it 

ie You are paranoid and irrational, try breathing, you are emotionally out of control right now.

I am not paranoid 

I am not upset 

I am not irrational

If anything I am the compete opposite of all those things 

i am not even breathing a little hard except from laughter 

I've made my decision Sherapy

I will no longer give you the benefit of any doubt and assume that  you are deliberate and unpleasant in your personal comments rather   than just ignorant  

 

 

Edited by Mr Walker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
3 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I'm just going to give my number 1 personal reason for disbelieving you

We already know you actively dismiss anything and everything that is claimed to be not explicable by mundane rational explanation. You are a one-trick pony. Any reasonable person might enquire why you want to argue what you already "know". Simply put, you are not nearly as confident as the façade you present. Nor are any of your ilk !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

We already know you actively dismiss anything and everything that is claimed to be not explicable by mundane rational explanation. You are a one-trick pony. Any reasonable person might enquire why you want to argue what you already "know". Simply put, you are not nearly as confident as the façade you present. Nor are any of your ilk !

I am  also starting to come to that as the most likely conclusion. A person secure in their disbelief would simply say the y disbelieved and have nothing to prove by commenting on the  story teller.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
2 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Sorry the key board went  a bit loopy

As to your last point. You really dont get it, do you?  . Belief and disibelief can only be constructed and held when there are no evidences  

So while i present you with no evidences, you have a choice either to believe or disbelieve.

If i gave you evidences, you would have knowledge and no room to either believe or disbelieve.

My question remains why choose the option of disbelieving  over believing when belief and disbelief  MUST occur without evidences  ?   

yOu only ever have "anecdotal" evidences for everything which  you do not experience for yourself.  How do you chose what to believe and what not to believe ? Do you just go with the crowd/popular opinion?

  So. You have no evidences that I own 3 dogs called Misty Ruby and Beau.

I cannot provide you with indisputable evidences that I own those 3 dogs  Anything I do provide online cannot be verified.

Are you going to disbelieve me because of that ?   

 

MW, enough, get back on topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Habitat said:

We already know you actively dismiss anything and everything that is claimed to be not explicable by mundane rational explanation. You are a one-trick pony. Any reasonable person might enquire why you want to argue what you already "know". Simply put, you are not nearly as confident as the façade you present. Nor are any of your ilk !

I've posted in the past where there are hundreds of witnesses to some miracle. Often this is happening in the 3rd world though, and so apparently they are bad witnesses.... people will say, "That happened in Africa, or India? We can dismiss it then...."

I believe Revelations mentions that some ("many" I think it says) will not believe even when they do see Jesus return. Even when confronted with repeating miraculous events, the will continue to close their eyes and say, "No, no, no....".

I do see their point that miracles are not reproducible in a lab environment, so technically every one of those hundred corroborating stories are anecdotal. But, to some primed to believe, that is just about as good of evidence as witnessing it yourself.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sherapy said:

MW, enough, get back on topic.

That WAS on topic Sherapy.

it goes to why some people claim not to accept  anecdotal narratives, yet actually do so, when that narrative does not conflict with their own beliefs or opinions  They only choose disbelief of a narrative  when the claim or story line is unacceptable or unbelievable to them .

Thus, despite what some might say, no one will dispute a claim that i have a concrete gnome in my garden, while they would dispute a claim that a real one also lived there.  Both are anecdotes. There is no evidence for either, yet one is usually  simply accepted as true, while the other is rejected. 

Edited by Mr Walker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liquid Gardens
13 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

BUT when people stop at simply saying  they don't believe me that is fine However such a statement  reflects on them and properties of their mind, so to take the onus from their disbelief,   they often feel the need to go and and try and justify or validate WHY  they don't believe, and that  soon leads   them into attacking my character.  

Hahaha, you mean like when you called thirdeye an 'idiot!'?

Quote

I wouldn't usually make such personal  observations about a person

Hahaha, you mean like when you called thirdeye an 'idiot!'?

13 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

" I dont believe you coz your'e a liar. How do i know you're a liar?  Because you tell lies. The things you talk about are impossible "   and  yet i don't, and the y are possible,  and  all actually happened.

Hahaha, who said that?  Provide the quote please so we can reality check your reality checkers.

13 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

maybe, to avoid having to think what it means if i am truth telling    

Hahaha, all of your evasive and strawman responses fit perfectly the notion that you are trying to avoid having to think about what it means if your memories of your interpretations, or interpretations of your memories, are wrong.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
16 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

As to your last point. You really dont get it, do you?  . Belief and disibelief can only be constructed and held when there are no evidences  

So while i present you with no evidences, you have a choice either to believe or disbelieve.

True, and I choose to disbelieve you, because you provide no evidence

Attend: Who is "Mr Walker"? Who is "Jodie Lynne"? A faceless screen name on a public internet forum. Why should anyone believe the claims that you, or I, or anyone else makes on the internet, without some evidence to back it up or support the claims? The default position should be to abstain from believing outrageous claims, until evidence supports the claim. 

Taking a non-personal example. The Nigerian Prince scam. You've heard of it? Because of its notoriety, I doubt many people on these forums would fall for it. However, there ARE gullible (and greedy) people out in the world who HAVE fallen for this scam. Why? Because they are either gullible, naïve, or greedy. Or a combination of the three. The victims "believed" without evidence. They made a choice to believe, and hopefully, learned a valuable lesson from the experience.

16 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

If i gave you evidences, you would have knowledge and no room to either believe or disbelieve.

IF you gave evidences, AND they checked out as true, then the only option is to believe your claims. I would have knowledge that the claims were true, so to disbelieve, at that point, would be a willful act of disregarding the evidence. Like the idiots who believe the earth is flat, and refuse to accept the evidence that denies their belief.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
14 hours ago, DieChecker said:

But, to some primed to believe, that is just about as good of evidence as witnessing it yourself.

"Those who are primed to believe..." 

This statement is probably the truest ever made on these forums.

If one is a believer in alien abduction stories, they are primed. They will goggle open mouthed at any claim of the people claiming to have been snatched by E.T., as they nod their head screaming "YES! IT's twue! It's twue!"

The same attitude is displayed by those that believe in ghosts, Loch ness monsters, Atlantis, or any other phenomena, including gods. Any tale, no matter how far-fetched, is grabbed onto with the fervor of a drowning man to a life preserver, regardless of the source of the tale.

And anything that denies the existence of a person's belief in a thing, is dismissed as 'conspiracy', or "denial of the obvious by the sheeple", or some other defensive technique.

 

And maybe, non-believers have the same tendency in that they are "primed to disbelieve". However, I think many in the non-belief crowd, are at least open to these ideas, if the evidence clearly supports such ideas.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
On 12/03/2019 at 1:08 AM, Liquid Gardens said:

Hahaha, you mean like when you called thirdeye an 'idiot!'?

Hahaha, you mean like when you called thirdeye an 'idiot!'?

Hahaha, who said that?  Provide the quote please so we can reality check your reality checkers.

Hahaha, all of your evasive and strawman responses fit perfectly the notion that you are trying to avoid having to think about what it means if your memories of your interpretations, or interpretations of your memories, are wrong.

Yep I believe he was acting like an idiot  As i said, in Australia this is almost an endearment for a person who is acting so strangely that you u cant be sure if he is serious or role playing eg   "geez you are an idiot "

No one particularly said that. It was an illustrative example   but many have said basically exactly the same thing  

This includes  psyche  for one and numerous lesser lights of the forum. Sherapy also implies it but couches her words as concern, suggesting i have needs or damage which causes me to be like this and could be cured The underlying  belief is that god's, angels, etc do not exist so that i MUST be wrong in my stories   Others say they do not believe a word i say about anything  :)    

Third eye, when he is comprehensible, says the same 

No evasions.  No strawmen. If you  want to, then challenge me on any point where you think I am being evasive or offering a straw man.   I will be open and honest. But then you must chose to believe that I am being open and honest  :) 

I find it interesting that  some accuse me of being too blunt, too direct, and not tactful enough, while you see it as evasion 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
On 12/03/2019 at 8:35 AM, Jodie.Lynne said:

True, and I choose to disbelieve you, because you provide no evidence

Attend: Who is "Mr Walker"? Who is "Jodie Lynne"? A faceless screen name on a public internet forum. Why should anyone believe the claims that you, or I, or anyone else makes on the internet, without some evidence to back it up or support the claims? The default position should be to abstain from believing outrageous claims, until evidence supports the claim. 

Taking a non-personal example. The Nigerian Prince scam. You've heard of it? Because of its notoriety, I doubt many people on these forums would fall for it. However, there ARE gullible (and greedy) people out in the world who HAVE fallen for this scam. Why? Because they are either gullible, naïve, or greedy. Or a combination of the three. The victims "believed" without evidence. They made a choice to believe, and hopefully, learned a valuable lesson from the experience.

IF you gave evidences, AND they checked out as true, then the only option is to believe your claims. I would have knowledge that the claims were true, so to disbelieve, at that point, would be a willful act of disregarding the evidence. Like the idiots who believe the earth is flat, and refuse to accept the evidence that denies their belief.

No,you still don't get it. You don't chose to believe because I offer no evidences.  Belief has no connection to evidences it must be constructed where there are no evidences  

You chose to disbelieve because, for you, disbelief is more  comfortable, reasonable, or logical, and you have no reasons TO believe. 

Indeed we should not believe, but neither should our automatic default be to disbelieve 

Ah but i make no outrageous claims. I simply tell true things which have happened to me. 

You FIND them to be outrageous, and so you chose to disbelieve. 

I have no interest in scams or what the y offer. Of course i am aware of both the old and the new scams practised on line My brother in law runs workshops to keep people informed of the latest online scams   But even if i wasn't they would not affect me as the y offer me nothing i need  or want. 

if i gave you  convincing evidences then you would not be believing me, you would KNOW i was telling the  truth  You cannot know and believe at the same time 

The point is why you choose to either believe or disbelieve, when there ARE no evidences and,  more significantly, what drives you  to that choice.  Are you saying you believe  in nothing unless there are convincing evidences that can be shown to you?  In other words you actually don't believe in anything at all? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
19 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

You chose to disbelieve because, for you, disbelief is more  comfortable, reasonable, or logical, and you have no reasons TO believe. 

"you have no reason TO believe". Very true, the most truthful thing I have ever seen you post. The rest of the statement is useless nonsense, since you have no personal knowledge of who I am, or what I am seeking.

 

19 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Ah but i make no outrageous claims. I simply tell true things which have happened to me. 

Which, by definition, are outrageous, since we have no reason to believe your statements.  If I claimed that I came home from work and found a troupe of leprechauns marching around my apartment with my lingerie draped on their heads, would you say it was an outrageous claim that required some evidence to be believed? Or would you accept the claim?

 

19 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

You FIND them to be outrageous, and so you chose to disbelieve. 

Your claims are outrageous, and unusual. You wish them to be accepted, at face value, based on your statements that they happened to you. Why should we believe them?

 

19 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

if i gave you  convincing evidences then you would not be believing me, you would KNOW i was telling the  truth  You cannot know and believe at the same time 

Do you have knowledge of the Law of Gravity? Do you believe in gravity?  Can one have knowledge, and believe? If your answers are "yes", "Yes", and "NO", then I challenge you to go to the tallest building you can reach, and step off the highest point.

 

19 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

The point is why you choose to either believe or disbelieve, when there ARE no evidences and,  more significantly, what drives you  to that choice. 

Because, evidence is needed to give credence to claims. Without evidences (NOTE I did NOT say 'proof'), your claims mean nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
4 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

"you have no reason TO believe". Very true, the most truthful thing I have ever seen you post. The rest of the statement is useless nonsense, since you have no personal knowledge of who I am, or what I am seeking.

 

Which, by definition, are outrageous, since we have no reason to believe your statements.  If I claimed that I came home from work and found a troupe of leprechauns marching around my apartment with my lingerie draped on their heads, would you say it was an outrageous claim that required some evidence to be believed? Or would you accept the claim?

 

Your claims are outrageous, and unusual. You wish them to be accepted, at face value, based on your statements that they happened to you. Why should we believe them?

 

Do you have knowledge of the Law of Gravity? Do you believe in gravity?  Can one have knowledge, and believe? If your answers are "yes", "Yes", and "NO", then I challenge you to go to the tallest building you can reach, and step off the highest point.

 

Because, evidence is needed to give credence to claims. Without evidences (NOTE I did NOT say 'proof'), your claims mean nothing. 

You don't get the difference bet wen active disbelief and simply NOT believing  

While you have no reason to believe without evidences, you equally have no reasons NOT to believe 

So why chose disbelief ?  

So your definition of outrageous is any claim which  falls outside your own or common experience? 

You must find a lot of claims outrageous  :) 

Your home ? Absolutely believable .

I would need more background detail. I would neither believe nor disbelieve your story. 

Not asking you to believe my stories, just suggesting you do not disbelieve them.  (you really have no evidences or good reasons for disbelieving any but the most unusual and even there you dont have any evidences that I am not telling the truth) (and  will never be able to obtain such evidences because every story is true) :) 

 Because every story is a as true as i can make it, if  you disbelieve them you are in error. 

I have knowledge of the law of gravity from  personal experience, thus i can neither believe in its existence nor disbelieve in it,

I cant believe i had a mother or father either because i know i did 

That is my point.

Belief/disbelief cannot co-exist with knowing  

Evidence is required for knowldge but  no evidence is required for belief.  Humans evolved the abilty to believe, and construct beliefs, in order  to deal with situations where we could not KNOW. It is a cognitive survival mechanism  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
9 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Which, by definition, are outrageous, since we have no reason to believe your statements.  If I claimed that I came home from work and found a troupe of leprechauns marching around my apartment with my lingerie draped on their heads, would you say it was an outrageous claim that required some evidence to be believed? Or would you accept the claim?

Hi Jodie

Not in the least. but I am thinking there is potential for an adult content video that could be made on that premise.

jmccr8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:18 AM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Jodie

Not in the least. but I am thinking there is potential for an adult content video that could be made on that premise.

jmccr8

"Snow White and the 7 Pervs"?

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.