Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth's magnetic north pole is on the move

UM-Bot

Do we actually know what the effects of this would be on our weather and climate as well as gravity?

• Like 1

Putin again <_<

• Haha 5

But nothing to lose sleep over ....... yes?

• Like 1

It might make everyone's GPS satellite navigational systems 90 degrees out :( 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

But nothing to lose sleep over ....... yes?

No.

GPS/SatNavs won't work anymore, toasters will burn crumpets, and vampire bats will suck blood from humans by mistake. :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Putin again <_<

Having stolen it, he's going to hold it for ransom, you wait and see. "If you want the North Pole returned to its proper place, you will pay me ... One Million Dollars". :yes: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mystify said:

Do we actually know what the effects of this would be on our weather and climate as well as gravity?

Theres doesn't appear to be any reason that the position of the North magnetic pole should affect weather, climate or gravity. The North pole of Earth's rotation, a change in which could affect weather and climate, will remain the same, even as the magnetic pole shifts. Gravity and magnetism are two separate forces, which do not directly interact.

The Earth's magnetic North pole routinely moves about. It's simply speeded up its movement somewhat, at this time. This is presumably due to a variation in the movement of molten iron in the Earth' outer core. This material is the source of Earth's magnetic field.

Edited by bison
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, bison said:

Theres doesn't appear to be any reason that the position of the North magnetic pole should affect weather, climate or gravity. The North pole of Earth's rotation, a change in which could affect weather and climate, will remain the same, even as the magnetic pole shifts. Gravity and magnetism are two separate forces, which do not directly interact.

Are you sure about that? I wouldnt be so sure that gravity isnt affected by the magnetic field. How much do we know about how it works besides its properties? Actually google is giving me pretty conflicting info and i keep getting

"Earth's magnetic field'boosts gravity' Hidden extra dimensions are causing measurements of the strength of gravity at different locations on Earth to be affected by the planet's magnetic field, French researchers say." 

So if the effects can cause areas to differ, i wouldn't be so sure that there isn't an effect.

Edited by Nnicolette

There have been a number a of scientific tests that show no direct interaction between the forces of gravity and magnetism. I try to maintain an open mind, though. Could you. please, provide a link to whatever you saw, that claimed the two forces affect one another? Thank you. 

FRACKING!! Fracking has caused this! :o

• Thanks 2

It is possible that this is preceding a pole reversal.  Or it might actually be the pole reversal in progress.  But it does seem strange that during a pole reversal, the magnetic pole would move closer to the true pole.  At any rate, this has been going on for at least a decade and nobody has seen any serious problems yet.

Doug

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

It's just a pole reversal in process nothing new.

:worried: 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

Hidden extra dimensions

I think anyone who puts forward Hidden extra dimensions as an explanation for something should have their credentials as researchers given a serious look at. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Doug1o29 said:

It is possible that this is preceding a pole reversal.  Or it might actually be the pole reversal in progress.  But it does seem strange that during a pole reversal, the magnetic pole would move closer to the true pole.  At any rate, this has been going on for at least a decade and nobody has seen any serious problems yet.

Doug

Then perhaps it was wandering and unsure but has decided to go home. As a kid I always heard it wandered between russia and canada but i guess the curiosity is the speed?

A useful blog piece on magnetic excursions and the possible consequences, with specific reference to the last one ~41kya.  Significantly there doesn't seem to be any correlation between a magnetic excursions and global cooling  (worth reading the comments at the end of the piece)

http://euanmearns.com/the-laschamp-event-and-earths-wandering-magnetic-field/

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I think anyone who puts forward Hidden extra dimensions as an explanation for something should have their credentials as researchers given a serious look at. 

Yeah i agree google keeps giving me that answer and what im reading hardly sounds credible and goes against all the other answers. But you know there was a time cern made several posts referring to other dimensions as well. Personally i already fully believe they are there and its why we cant percieve dark matter, only its gravitational effects. We arent on the only plane here. I think it does relate to the gravitational and electromagnetic poles but let me not get distracted...

It might not be as far fetched as you think. As I mentioned Cern has put forward the sane idea here is a link  https://home.cern/science/physics/extra-dimensions-gravitons-and-tiny-black-holes

Im reading the essential difference is the polarity. Gravity is a force with one central polarity and electromagnetism involves two, otherwise very similar forces. I think i was mistaken to say they are connected on earth because only those french scientists say otherwise, that will teach me to read into the first answer i get.

Edited by Nnicolette

Historically, the magnetic pole has remained more-or-less in the Canadian Islands until about ten or fifteen years ago when it started heading northwest in a more-or-less straight line.  It could become a problem for compasses which depend on it being in northern Canada.  But that wandering habit has necessitated constant adjustments, so this may be just one more adjustment.

Could it affect weather?  The Chandler Wobble, which is much smaller than this, is detectable in tree rings.  I think the wobble has its affect by slight changes in weather, so if a wobble of 150 meters can affect tree rings, a polar shift of kilometers could well have an affect,

Doug

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Essan said:

A useful blog piece on magnetic excursions and the possible consequences, with specific reference to the last one ~41kya.  Significantly there doesn't seem to be any correlation between a magnetic excursions and global cooling  (worth reading the comments at the end of the piece)

http://euanmearns.com/the-laschamp-event-and-earths-wandering-magnetic-field/

I'm seeing all this and still dont understand why we dont build more underground. Cosmic rays might not be fun.

The closest scientifically settled connection between gravity and magnetism I can find, is this:

In relativity theory energy has mass. A magnetic field has energy, therefor mass. Mass confers gravity.

Then, too, a magnetic field can confer momentum on matter. Momentum is related  to gravity, through force.

In this sense there is a connection between magnetism and gravity. However, the mass of Earth's magnetic field is 

on the order of 20 kilograms, which, given the immense weight of the Earth, is less than negligible.

The question to which I was responding asked a practical question about Earth's shifting magnetic field affecting

the force of gravity in any readily observable way.  In this sense, it still appears that the answer is 'no'.

Edited by bison
  • Like 1

"Magnus magnes ipse est globus terrestris."  Although it's probably more accurate to call it a great moving magnet.

This year-ish variation is called secular variation, and really tends to make the geomagnetic pole wander around the North Pole. Business as usual. For the amount of time it has spent hanging around Canada, a change was inevitable. As far as a magnetic reversal goes, the main concern vis-a-vis reversals is that the strength of the field is dropping. Which is what we typically see in a reversal - field drops in strength. Should be noted that the field strength is still quite robust when looked at in a historical context.

Add to that, the North Pole's wanderings are much greater in magnitude compared to that of the South Pole. If this was a global change, i.e., a reversal, I'd expect the South Pole to be showing the same signs. It isn't. That speaks to a more regional phenomenon, probably the result of the Canadian versus Siberian flux patch tradeoff.

• Like 2

Are Magnetic pole shifts something to worry about?

short awnser Yes!!

the reason being that during a reversal the earths magentic field is significantly reduced and is constantly fluctuating, this will not only cause serious damage to satellites but also cause pockets on the earth that receive much less protection from the fluctuating field.

expect an increase in skin cancer and potentially very little protection from solar and cosmic rays, that could wreck havoc on infrastructure.

on the plus side during the reversal you could indeed see the northern lights in many areas accross the globe.

5 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

I'm seeing all this and still dont understand why we dont build more underground. Cosmic rays might not be fun.

I agree, and there are lots of practical reasons to build underground. Unless you live in an area prone to flooding, of course.

Personally (if I had lots of money) I'd have a home that was small above ground, large underground, and a yard that was mostly solar panels with at least one wind turbine. Then again, I live in New Mexico, where that all makes a lot more sense than it does in wetter regions close to sea level.

I think a reason many people don't want to be cave-dwellers is the need/desire for lots of natural light. Which is a good argument too...

On 2/6/2019 at 12:14 PM, Nnicolette said:

It's just a pole reversal in process nothing new.

I agree. This is really old news.  This has been known for years. Another reason for the change in weather patterns.  This will really muck with any migratory animal.  Geese will be egetting lost or showing up in entirely new places. With the slight change in the Earth's axis angle, humans are going to be in for "fun".