Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Milky Way galaxy is 'warped and twisted'

UM-Bot

Some might think it's warped and twisted, but I think it's just misunderstood... and I wouldn't live any where else!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Some might think it's warped and twisted, but I think it's just misunderstood... and I wouldn't live any where else!

We need better lines.  Where's the comedy crews backup relief squads when you need them eh?!??!?!  TAUN`S right, its not such a bad place. Personally until there's another rock found and first class ! lunar module tickets of course! and a complex/installation w/ hunky firemen and a fifth avenue with saks, this old rock will suffice.  

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 2

and aren't we all 

• Like 4

So paired with the mysterious radio jet pointed our direction rather than what i would call vertically, does this mean it is twisting in the middle in a way it hadnt before? It would seem so if the material is mostly flat with a warp... Like its just begun to change.(in cosmic terms of course not our lifetimes)

• Like 2

The galactic warp probably doesn't affect the central part of the galaxy. It warps at the edges because the weaker gravity there doesn't allow the plane of the galaxy to be as well-defined, as in its other parts.

There may be something in the galaxy, between the center and our location, that causes the radio jet to be redirected, though it's difficult to see what could cause such a marked diversion  (~90 degrees). Perhaps the jet is reflected by something, though it would have to be quite an efficient reflector to create the observed effect.

The reason we find other galaxies with radio jets pointed at 90 degrees to their planes, yet see our own galaxy's jet directed along its plane may have to do with our being located inside our galaxy; a unique situation & point of view for us.  

Edited by bison
  • Like 1

We will never know for sure but there is fun part too, mystic part. Being placed where we are in the galaxy and considering how large the galaxy is it's hard to make good prediction of it's shape but it make scientists make new models, calculations... And many other discoveries are made in the process.

Some flat Earth supporters dismiss other views because they haven't seen curvature from airplane. But compare that airplane with the size of the planet and you realize that you have to get much higher up to actually see the curvature. If i apply that to galaxy things get even harder to predict and i surely doubt that one could draw the shape of the Earth based on the view from Kilimanjaro.

I wonder if the warping and buckling could be caused by a "wobble" in the galaxys rotation? It would probably be largely undetectable to us, as each "wobble" would take thousands of years and the only way to detect it would be to notice odd movements of distant stars...