Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Any clue what symbol this is?

the13bats

I wonder if anyone might know what this symbol is/means i see the crown but the odd thing under it gas me curious any ideas?

Many thanks,

Cheers b

20190206_050448-154x161.jpg.f8b45c08495db8a368cc8b74aacd0b75.jpg

Looks like a stylized letter to me, you might have better luck dating it by the design of the Crown, looks unique to a specific period to me but I am not all that knowledgeable on that front

~

11 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I wonder if anyone might know what this symbol is/means i see the crown but the odd thing under it gas me curious any ideas?

Many thanks,

Cheers b

20190206_050448-154x161.jpg.f8b45c08495db8a368cc8b74aacd0b75.jpg

Some sort of craftsman's mark. What's it on? 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Any clue what symbol this is?

Metal obviously, if its as old as it seems to be, most probably silver from the sheen ...

~

Just now, seanjo said:

Could be pewter...

Hard to say, I know pewter so that thought did cross my mind, need more info on the size to get a gauge on how far the flash is from the object, but currently I'm leaning towards recently burnished silver as old pewter doesn't have that kind of reflective quality, that is of course if it is something old

~

• Like 1

It'll be a manufacturer's mark, but more than that I couldn't say.   If it's silver it ought have an assize mark on it as well.    Be useful to see a pic of the actual item, and know whether there are any other marks?  

• Like 2

Just now, Essan said:

It'll be a manufacturer's mark, but more than that I couldn't say.   If it's silver it ought have an assize mark on it as well.    Be useful to see a pic of the actual item, and know whether there are any other marks?  

My data is being throttled on my account so I can't get google to trawl for designs of stamped crowns designs for reference ... no possibility that it could a seal of some sort ?

~

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

. no possibility that it could a seal of some sort ?

It's definitely a maker's mark. I use to have whole books on them. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Looks like a stylized letter to me, you might have better luck dating it by the design of the Crown, looks unique to a specific period to me but I am not all that knowledgeable on that front

~

Yeah it looks like initials.

• Like 1

Just now, Piney said:

It's definitely a maker's mark. I use to have whole books on them. 

The crown does give it some sort of significance surely, again assuming if it is something back from the 18th century or older ...

~

• Like 1

1 minute ago, third_eye said:

The crown does give it some sort of significance surely, again assuming if it is something back from the 18th century or older ...

~

Not really. They were common. Not like the Iron Tiger dragon.

• Like 1

Just now, Piney said:

Not really. They were common. Not like the Iron Tiger dragon.

hmmmmm ... I guess I was too caught up with it being something official or a seal, I am not too sure that crowns were being widely used by anybody common though, again that is if this is something from those times

~

• Like 1

1 minute ago, third_eye said:

hmmmmm ... I guess I was too caught up with it being something official or a seal, I am not too sure that crowns were being widely used by anybody common though, again that is if this is something from those times

~

It was common from the 17th to 20th Centuries for metalwork. 

• Thanks 1

20190207_070820.jpg.00e74d32dce8d22e809217addbc3efc1.jpg

Sorry i wasnt trying to be mysterious about it,

Its a sterling ( alleged and stamped, never tested ) skull ring, its about 10 years old came from Thailand,

I never much liked the stamp on the ring and going to fill it in but curious if it has a meaning, if its just the artist mark, pretty ego driven to stamp it right there.

• Like 2

Just now, Piney said:

It was common from the 17th to 20th Centuries for metalwork. 

Curiously enough I have been looking into the life of the people in the Royal Courts of the day :lol:

~

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I never much liked the stamp on the ring and going to fill it in but curious if it has a meaning, if its just the artist mark, pretty ego driven to stamp it right there.

costume jewellery, don't mind it too much, it means nothing

:lol:

~

Edited by third_eye
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, third_eye said:

costume jewellery

:lol:

~

Well, whatdaya expect from the West? In the 90s you were still killed for putting a dragon-star symbol on a blade if your were not a Iron Tiger monk. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Piney said:

Well, whatdaya expect from the West? In the 90s you were still killed for putting a dragon-star symbol on a blade if your were not a Iron Tiger monk. 

Well, we do take our metal crafts very seriously :lol:

~

• Thanks 1

I didnt know silver was considered costume,

So then its likely just a letter C or G....yawn.

Just now, the13bats said:

I didnt know silver was considered costume,

So then its likely just a letter C or G....yawn.

If this was made in Thailand, yeah, it is roadside peddler costume jewellery ... designed to suck tourist dollars

~

Okay, now I can see what it's on, then it's not a maker's mark.  Not sure what, if anything, it is meant to represent.  Possibly just someone of meaning to the person who commissioned the piece (assuming not mass produced) or maybe it's a gang/club emblem?  I would provisionally date it to around late 20th century.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, third_eye said:

If this was made in Thailand, yeah, it is roadside peddler costume jewellery ... designed to suck tourist dollars

~

From the 18th century and of significance to street junk...i guess we never know.

5 minutes ago, Essan said:

Okay, now I can see what it's on, then it's not a maker's mark.  Not sure what, if anything, it is meant to represent.  Possibly just someone of meaning to the person who commissioned the piece (assuming not mass produced) or maybe it's a gang/club emblem?  I would provisionally date it to around late 20th century.

Ive had it about 8 or 10 years and no clue when it was made.

It crossed my mind it might be a symbol of something im not into....

Its not plated. Lol, nothing worn off, i was dumping powder in my shoes its on my hands and the ring,