Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Any clue what symbol this is?

the13bats

Just now, the13bats said:

From the 18th century and of significance to street junk...i guess we never know.

If it was bought in Thailand, it is most likely mass manufactured costume jewellery ... they know their stuff, old and new

but meh ... I have plenty of skull rings from Thailand that I have given away as presents, I used to peddle them myself,

back in the early to mid 90's a ring like that would probably go for 15 to 20 USD the stylized eye sockets and teeth gives them away

~

It does look like a "G" to me, with the crown.

My guess would be that the mark was put there to copy 19th, and 20th, century marks from Europe and America, that were from major silver smith companies, and thus try to trick the customer into thinking they "actually have something here". 

I found some similar marks here...

https://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html

• Like 1

Another tip when buying such trinkets, the band itself might be 916 but the main piece on the band, whatever the design, snake eagle skulls or whatever. is most likely plated, the larger the main piece, the more likely that it is.

~

I want to thank everyone who posted, some was great, helpful, all was mind engaging.

My curiosity was did the symbol represent some club, organization or gang that im not into, and since i have worn it about 8 years my curiosity wasnt apparently great, my plan remove the symbols and add maybe "13" my lucky number,

The replies got me thinking about symbols, it would be very short sighted to dismiss a symbols meaning or even power because of what its stamped it, some symbols are very well known and others might be so obscure only the designer knows its meaning and any symbol can mean something different to different people, look at a certain symbol of ww2, it didnt matter what it was stamped or craved into.

Years back I did try to sell silver but the market was just too flooded at the time, so im not 100% green there, i have seen all kinds of fake stuff, silver and gold too with correct stamps but not real just light plated, i have a bracelet to show people stamped but silver plated brass.

I have no idea if this threads ring is solid silver it feels a bit to heavy and hard to me, i will get around to testing it,  i do feel a need especially when someone takes the time to add pointers showing what they believe to followe up and show that is not the case and they are mistaken.

Pictures below, i have no idea what the "funky"  places you pointed out were, and in pictures they do give the illusion of what you were thinking, my eyes arent great, im open minded, i looked with a loupe, no wearing or flaking of plating, the nose top is flat perhaps i hit it on something as i wear it 24 7 you might notice the line between the teeth is wearing away, but the nose flat spot is silver not a worn off spot, it is hard to photograph and has blacking and abuse.

Im not saying its not plated or fake it very well might be but what you pointed out isnt what you thought it was, in this case it might have looked pretty cool to have silver wear off brass.

20190207_152911-437x503.jpg.b8f2467b922d007c0898dbe68a481a46.jpg20190207_152755-466x524.jpg.59ad0621bcbf1786c3bbfb84e05b1770.jpg20190207_152646-441x578.jpg.a30c27af13fdac911ce0fdc230d86b0d.jpg

20190207_152948-471x409.jpg.d5d79a5e13bf4f8cf28b0823bed19842.jpg

So ill go with for now the weird symbol is a very stylised letter likely the artists initial, the crown to make him/her feel more special

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

So ill go with for now the weird symbol is a very stylised letter likely the artists initial, the crown to make him/her feel more special

Take some time and look at some old catalogues, pay attention to the designs of skulls then cross reference with the designs of the crown, the scripted letter is clearer now in these new set of pictures, it is the letter 'G' in the same stylized font family of the numbers '925' 

The hollows of the nasal cavity (deep but bridge is high) , cheek bones (protrude and extended) and temple area (deep and indented) is the mold hitch attachment points, the eye sockets are wide because it takes up more space and thus less metal needed,less weight, the teeth / upper jaw is symmetrical (as far as it can be determined from the picture) looks recent so the more likely from a mechanized mold

Silver has that unique tone when tapped, tie a thread and suspend it to give it a tap, not too hard, just enough to get a ring :D

Lead content will give off a dull tone, more silver content the more it 'sings'

~

It is a nice looking piece though, the crease between the brows on the forehead is a nice touch, if it is solid silver, for myself personally, I'd think about setting a small stone where the letter is and leave it at that  ... good luck

~

• Thanks 1

Skull rings have been popular for 100s of years with fans ranging from all walks, many odd fellow clubs had designs specific to their location, ive seen stunning mason designs and some cheesy rocker biker styles, and the designs i believe in all respects vary more for artistic reasons than saving a few cents as silver has always been cheap compared to gold etc, like mine if fleshed out it would look a bit hydrocephalic, lol,

I will do some metal tests, its likely real, just bulky,

I would believe like with most silver rings this was a simple lost wax method, nothing fancy,

A small stone is a thought but the crown has got to go, you see like i was saying before symbols can mean various things good or bad to a person, im 54 a product of the 80s, back then there was a huge trend here with crown everything, there were cheesy dash board air fresheners etc and they were  popular with the urban, hip hop, house thugger crowd, which is fine but very far removed from my punk, goth, industrial, alternative that my club caterer to and im into.

I have no connection to the letter G so yeah, its gone to...

Ill report in a few days the metal testing results

• Thanks 1