Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

a question on the universe and the why

DingoLingo

ok while I was stuck at work for 2 weeks.. I spent a lot of time watching documentaries etc.. about the universe. .quantum mechanics etc.. (I only generally sleep 4 hours a night so plenty of time) 

but one morning after watching the elegant universe (I really like brian green) I had a bit of a thought.. 

Now according to science way back at the beginning the universe was a mix of matter and anti matter.. that collided and cancelled each other out ( cant remember which episode of How the Universe works it was on).. leaving only some matter left which is what our universe is made of.. but the weird thing is.. according to the math.. it should have been a straight even mix of both.. so in reality we should not exist.. and they are still trying to figure out why.. 

now here comes the quantum side of things.. 

if you go with the M theory model of quantum mechanics.. we float around in our own cosmic universe surrounded by multiple versions of our universe... so every possibility exists in a alternative universe.. 

now here is the question bit.. 

is our universe one of the possibilities from the original universe.. where there were equal matter and anti matter that cancelled each other out..  

What do you mean where were they? 

1 hour ago, DingoLingo said:

is our universe one of the possibilities from the original universe.. where there were equal matter and anti matter that cancelled each other out.. 

Ah, QM interpretations, my favorite subject! :wub:

I must admit that I don't fully understand your question. Could you elaborate a bit further?

Most physicists don't subscribe to the wave function as being massless, like the many-worlds interpretation suggests. They believe that measurement somehow causes particles who have a wave-like behavior, to become "determined". So there is no wave. Only a wave-ish behavior.

In the MW interpretation, all the worlds share the "waves of potential", but particles (mass) only manifest when an observer interacts with it. So the waves hold all possibilities within them. Everything that can happen, is in them.

Edited by sci-nerd

Yes, it seems possible that our universe is one of many, either in the sense of the Many Worlds scenario, where many quantum outcomes manifest a huge number of alternate universes, or in the cosmological sense of many universes 'budding off' from an older one, and thereafter existing separately from the older one and from each other, within a higher order space.  

In either sense, it might be that the universe immediately before our own had equal amounts of matter and anti-matter, equally distributed, and that all matter and anti-matter was destroyed in it, leaving only energy. The problem here is that our universe seems to have had the same conditions.

There may be some slight difference between matter and anti-matter that caused matter to predominate, but this difference appears discernible only at very high energies. Much higher energies than we can currently generate in our particle colliders. This supposed difference wouldn't necessarily exist in all universes, because, it's believed, physical laws and constants can vary from one universe to another.    

7 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Ah, QM interpretations, my favorite subject! :wub:

I must admit that I don't fully understand your question. Could you elaborate a bit further?

Most physicists don't subscribe to the wave function as being massless, like the many-worlds interpretation suggests. They believe that measurement somehow causes particles who have a wave-like behavior, to become "determined". So there is no wave. Only a wave-ish behavior.

In the MW interpretation, all the worlds share the "waves of potential", but particles (mass) only manifest when an observer interacts with it. So the waves hold all possibilities within them. Everything that can happen, is in them.

Ok.. 

We know by math.. our universe should not exist.. at the creation there should have been a equal amount of matter and anti matter which would have cancelled each other out. .leaving nothing.. 

so is our universe one of the many possibilities of the one that got cancelled out? 

11 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

ok while I was stuck at work for 2 weeks.. I spent a lot of time watching documentaries etc.. about the universe. .quantum mechanics etc.. (I only generally sleep 4 hours a night so plenty of time) 

but one morning after watching the elegant universe (I really like brian green) I had a bit of a thought.. 

Now according to science way back at the beginning the universe was a mix of matter and anti matter.. that collided and cancelled each other out ( cant remember which episode of How the Universe works it was on).. leaving only some matter left which is what our universe is made of.. but the weird thing is.. according to the math.. it should have been a straight even mix of both.. so in reality we should not exist.. and they are still trying to figure out why.. 

now here comes the quantum side of things.. 

if you go with the M theory model of quantum mechanics.. we float around in our own cosmic universe surrounded by multiple versions of our universe... so every possibility exists in a alternative universe.. 

now here is the question bit.. 

About the universe, could have been created by big bangs, not just the one big bang, and there is the string theory. :)

Edited by docyabut2

2 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

We know by math.. our universe should not exist

therefore the possible other universes should not exist? i don't understand your point

16 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

therefore the possible other universes should not exist? i don't understand your point

no no.. in string theory and M theory you can have multiple dimensions.. especially in M theory.. Every Possible Out Come is Possible in a alternate universe.. 

what my question is.. 

are we in one of the alternate universes from the first universe where matter and anti matter cancelled themselves out. because by the math we should not exist 

Has anyone given the "strung-out" theory a run through the super computer ?

1 minute ago, DingoLingo said:

are we in one of the alternate universes from the first universe where matter and anti matter cancelled themselves out. because by the math we should not exist 

i've no idea, & to be honest i don't really care....

all i <know> is i've got a boring crap day ahead of me tomorrow...

7 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

no no.. in string theory and M theory you can have multiple dimensions.. especially in M theory.. Every Possible Out Come is Possible in a alternate universe.. 

Dimensions aren't universes.

54 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Dimensions aren't universes.

ahh but alternate dimensions would contain their own universe.. 

Just now, DingoLingo said:

ahh but alternate dimensions would contain their own universe.. 

Alternate dimension is a sci-fi word for alternate universe.

3 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Alternate dimension is a sci-fi word for alternate universe.

ok.. so I grew up in the 70's and 80's pop culture.. :P

I think the answer is 42

But to Dingo's initial question: yes, that seems a reasonable idea, assuming multiple universes (which I don't - trillions of new universes would have to be created just from all the interactions on Earth every second, let along all the trillions of other stars and planets.  And from each of those trillions of universes, trillions more would appear every second.  In the time it's taken me to write this,more universes than there are atoms in the universe would have been created, and it goes on and on and on .....) 

I prefer the simpler quantum explanation: all possibilities are possible until they happen whereupon only the possibility that happened could have ever happened.  And we then have one nice simple universe, albeit one that is far more complex than we can possibly image, especially when you take into account all the other dimensions we cannot perceive.   And in the early universe, when matter and anti-matter should have cancelled each other out, there must have been a tiny probability that they wouldn't.  And since they didn't, then that possibility is the only outcome that was actually possible, however unlikely it might have been.

8 minutes ago, DingoLingo said:

ok.. so I grew up in the 70's and 80's pop culture.. :P

It's an example of science fiction taking a word and changing it's meaning.  M-theory has other universes but dimension in science has never meant universe.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

We know by math.. our universe should not exist.. at the creation there should have been a equal amount of matter and anti matter which would have cancelled each other out. .leaving nothing..

Could you possibly be talking about -> this <- "oops"? The one that was later retracted. It sure sounds a lot like that.

18 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

so is our universe one of the many possibilities of the one that got cancelled out?

If our universe is part of a much bigger multiverse, it is not unlikely that some of them are "still born" - if that's what you are referring to.