Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teenager builds his own replacement arm

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Teenager builds his own replacement arm

He has since built several other, increasingly sophisticated iterations.

His main goal is to make affordable robotic arms available to anyone who needs them.

Very clever young lad, but not sure lego is the answer to an affordable robotic arm,  plus he can not patent it or sell it as lego is already taken.

• Like 4

nice, I hope he keeps the dream alive and makes some real advancements in prosthetics 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a bioengineering student, as well as his creativity, he�s well on the way to create a prosthetic device that might be of use to thousands of people.

Keep it up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vox said:

As a bioengineering student, as well as his creativity, he�s well on the way to create a prosthetic device that might be of use to thousands of people.

Keep it up!

Its already being done, in many designs. 

He is not going to make it by using lego, but he could work for one of the companies making them already....lego free.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bogdan9310 said:

This is where the world is heading...

Where? Please explain.

That's really cool. And I'm impressed he can build succinctly with Lego while only having one hand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Where? Please explain.

To a place where machines do our work for us. It starts with replacing an arm, a piece here and there. Until they will replace us alltogether.

2 hours ago, bogdan9310 said:

To a place where machines do our work for us. It starts with replacing an arm, a piece here and there. Until they will replace us alltogether.

Um, that's why they were invented...

10 hours ago, bogdan9310 said:

You mean robots?

But there is a difference between inventing a robot to build, to someone needing a  prosthetic arm. 

Robots can only do so much. We can never be fully replaced, it would be unwise to try to replace all jobs by robots when there is a big population of humans. 

On 2/8/2019 at 12:14 PM, freetoroam said:

Very clever young lad, but not sure lego is the answer to an affordable robotic arm,  plus he can not patent it or sell it as lego is already taken.

He can still patent it.  The material used doesn't matter.  The patent would be a design patent.  Any improvements by himself or other people would also be patentable with potential royalties going to him if some aspect of the original design is unique enough to have its own design patent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

He can still patent it.  The material used doesn't matter.  The patent would be a design patent.  Any improvements by himself or other people would also be patentable with potential royalties going to him if some aspect of the original design is unique enough to have its own design patent.

Patent it? Its lego ffs.

See post #2, he has build many others.

There are already some pretty amazing prosthic arms already our. He is going to have his work cut out to beat them.

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

thePatent it? Its lego ffs.

See post #2, he has build many others.

There are already some pretty amazing prosthic arms already our. He is going to have his work cut out to beat them.

He can't patent the Legos but he can patent the use of the Lego pieces into his arm. He can get design patents as his use of Lego pieces is "Novel"  Any novel use is one not thought of before.  You can also get patents on improving an already patented product.  If your improvement violates the first patent if it's still in force, you can't make your improvement without a licence.  If you improve your own design, you can get a new patent.  This happens all the time.  I did it myself years ago. I took two existing chemicals and used them together to improve a process.  I got the patent and the company I worked for made all the money.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, freetoroam said:

You mean robots?

But there is a difference between inventing a robot to build, to someone needing a  prosthetic arm. 

Robots can only do so much. We can never be fully replaced, it would be unwise to try to replace all jobs by robots when there is a big population of humans. 

They don't care about that, progress at any cost. They are still pushing it, without thinking of the consequences.