Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First UFO photo: Mount Washington, 1870

TrumanB

On 2/8/2019 at 10:06 PM, papageorge1 said:

They still could have lucked into a UFO photo, right? And the OP said 'I read that it is proven to be authentic.'. I've never known a believer to overstate his case!!

The scene in the photo is a rock pile. The cairns as they are called are 4 feet high in some areas. That makes the black object probably an inch long. The black object could be a stick in the cairn. It is small.

• Like 2

I'm not a camera expert but didnt they have to hold open the lens back in those days for around 30 seconds in order for the image to appear on the film? Aren't UFOs notoriously fast?

I think this should be relabelled "first photo of a bug on a lens". I see what looks like a leg on one end.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, skliss said:

I'm not a camera expert but didnt they have to hold open the lens back in those days for around 30 seconds in order for the image to appear on the film? Aren't UFOs notoriously fast?

:yes:

On 10.2.2019 at 11:18 AM, toast said:

I think the key problem is that the UFO-heads dont take into account that the common cam shutter speeds in 1870 were not that short to freeze a flying object in the sky as shown in the image.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok guys, you disbelieved me on this photo ( although there are some other from the link I provided ). In the meantime, there is a new topic about Phoenix lights and I can't wait to hear your opinion! It looks pretty real to me.

Even if this was an alien craft who cares its a black blob doesnt prove anything so its of no use to me, and no, i do not believe its anything but prosaic,

i go along with what stereo has said about it.

• Like 1

On 09/02/2019 at 1:58 PM, Carnoferox said:

Compare it with another one of the photos from the series.

5c5e416b9a580_800px-Lizzie_Bournes_Monument_railway_beyond_by_Clough__Kimball.jpg.d204d26a030fa2ed9428a722e874badc.jpg

It could easily have been a bug or something similar flying past the lens as the photo was taken.  

7 minutes ago, Taurean said:

It could easily have been a bug or something similar flying past the lens as the photo was taken.  

Given the exposure time of cameras in the 1870's, I doubt it. It is probably a small object placed on the frost for scale.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

Given the exposure time of cameras in the 1870's, I doubt it. It is probably a small object placed on the frost for scale.

I'm not arguing that fact it is entirely possible however camera speeds were on the increase over that period of time so it is still plausible that is was a bug or something similar.

Here is "A BRIEF HISTORY OF HIGH SPEED PHOTOGRAPHY 1851-1930"

https://people.rit.edu/andpph/text-hs-history.html

Edited by Taurean

It looked more on the frost to me, not out from it...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Taurean said:

I'm not arguing that fact it is entirely possible however camera speeds were on the increase over that period of time so it is still plausible that is was a bug or something similar.

Here is "A BRIEF HISTORY OF HIGH SPEED PHOTOGRAPHY 1851-1930"

https://people.rit.edu/andpph/text-hs-history.html

Can't be a bug in those conditions. It is winter on Mt Washington. These formations are a type of rime ice and they formed well below freezing ( as in close to 0F) in the dead of winter over 2000 above tree line.

Can't be a bug.

• Like 2