Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chimps use branch to escape zoo enclosure

Still Waters

Those clever little rascals! In seriousness though, the enclosures should have all been examined after the storm. The incident could have ended very badly not just for the visitors (many of whom were children), but for the animals as well. The children, terrified as they were, were really adorable. Don't escape you bad little gorilla!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would not have filmed everything. As soon as I saw the first one grab a hold of the top I would have ran to get a zoo keeper. Aren't chimps nasty or something??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is exactly how a 400lb silverback managed to escape it's enclosure at our zoo back in '08. A strong storm came in the night before and downed some bamboo into the exhibit. The gorilla made his way out USING A PIECE OF BAMBOO AN INCH IN DIAMETER! He got hold of a zoo employee, who thankfully only sustained minor injuries.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Princess Serenity said:

I would not have filmed everything. As soon as I saw the first one grab a hold of the top I would have ran to get a zoo keeper. Aren't chimps nasty or something??

They are about 4 times as strong as a human and can pull your arms from the sockets. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Piney said:

They are about 4 times as strong as a human and can pull your arms from the sockets. 

They can indeed. They have massive power, they could rip your arm out of its socket and slap you with the soggy end but they are not all nasty or aggressive, however, I wouldn't want to be the one that meets a grumpy one.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

They can indeed. They have massive power, they could rip your arm out of its socket and slap you with the soggy end but they are not all nasty or aggressive, however, I wouldn't want to be the one that meets a grumpy one.

You sure? From what I've read they are very aggressive when compared to humans, bonobos and other primates, to the point that female chimpanzees that get close to birth have to hide away from their group so their baby isn't snatched up and eaten the moment it's born...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

You sure? From what I've read they are very aggressive when compared to humans, bonobos and other primates, to the point that female chimpanzees that get close to birth have to hide away from their group so their baby isn't snatched up and eaten the moment it's born...

People see the chimpanzee as it is portrayed on TV, Tarzan etc, they think they are a fruit and vegetable eating loving monkey, I think the world was shocked when they were filmed hunting in an organised hunt, another young chimp... they closed it down and tore it apart before they ate it.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Zookeepers blamed the weekend's stormy weather for weakening trees inside the chimps' corral, 

I think as far as the chimps are concerned they are blaming the Irish for putting them in a zoo in Belfast in the first place. 

It was the second breach in recent weeks after an endangered red panda went missing when electric fences failed.

Blooming heck, other aninals are  getting out. 

Reckon they might as well just open all the gates, tear down the wall and let the animals get on with it. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Nasty or aggressive? Hmm...I wouldn't go as far as to say they aren't. Silverbacks, especially, can and will be hostile towards ANY male primate, including you or me. Luckily, our biggest one, Patrick, likes me. He also demands attention. He will place his enormous hand on the glass and isn't satisfied until I put mine up, too. If I'm around him and not paying him attention, he will let me know by banging on the glass and then smirking at me. 

Our other silverback is a dick and just plain doesn't like anyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Nasty or aggressive? Hmm...I wouldn't go as far as to say they aren't. Silverbacks, especially, can and will be hostile towards ANY male primate, including you or me. Luckily, our biggest one, Patrick, likes me. He also demands attention. He will place his enormous hand on the glass and isn't satisfied until I put mine up, too. If I'm around him and not paying him attention, he will let me know by banging on the glass and then smirking at me. 

Our other silverback is a dick and just plain doesn't like anyone.

Are all Gorillas aggressive towards humans? Is the silverback just the male species or the Alpha and protector, Not all chimps are nasty or aggressive towards humans. I  am pretty sure many chimps will show aggression towards humans but you can't possibly say they are all nasty and aggressive. 

Patrick sounds cool, do you have any photo's? 

• Like 1

They're wild animals  and very clever people tend to forget that these days i was once at Tenerife and some zoo  I could see the chimpazees from a distance and got a feeling that something was not right cause the Chimpanzees were putting on some kind of show ( not a cabare)  :-)and when a big crowd had gathered close to their cage they started to throw their own poo at the crowd. 

Edited by Impedancer
  • Haha 1

Just to put it all into some sort of a perspective ...

~

[00.03:08]

~

'Home'

~

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Impedancer said:

They're wild animals  and very clever people tend to forget that these days i was once at Tenerife and some zoo  I could see the chimpazees from a distance and got a feeling that something was not right cause the Chimpanzees was putting on some kind of show ( not a cabare)  :-)and when a big crowd had gathered close to their cage they started to throw their own poo at the crowd. 

10 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Are all Gorillas aggressive towards humans? Is the silverback just the male species or the Alpha and protector, Not all chimps are nasty or aggressive towards humans. I  am pretty sure many chimps will show aggression towards humans but you can't possibly say they are all nasty and aggressive. 

Patrick sounds cool, do you have any photo's? 

Gorillas are more about display gestures than outright violence, that being said, they could easily rip you apart and can be unpredictable. Silverbacks are just adult males. 

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, freetoroam said:

I think as far as the chimps are concerned they are blaming the Irish for putting them in a zoo in Belfast in the first place. 

maybe the chimps don't trust May's brexit plan and getting out while they still have a soft border.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

maybe the chimps don't trust May's brexit plan and getting out while they still have a soft border.

Maybe they are heading to Parliament, to sort out the chimps there already.

(No disrespect to the real chimps comparing them to those in Parliament intended. )

• Haha 2

Didn't this happen a few years ago, too?  Maybe the Planet of the Apes is starting.

Where does the video show a ladder being made? All I saw was chimps climbing up some wood. They leaned a chunk of wood against some concrete and climbed up. Lame video.

• Like 1