Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's Going On With My Dog ?

Vincennes

This has gotten to the point and has now been going on so long,  I have to ask if anyone else has experienced anything like it.  Perhaps there are other dog owners out there that can tell me that this behavior isn't that unusual at all.  

I have a nine year old, very happy, extremely friendly little Maltipoo.  I've had him since he was six weeks old.  But last year something suddenly occurred in his behavior.  (Actually it's more like a year and a half ago).  What happened was one day he simply refused to go into my bedroom.  If I called him, he'd get to about six ft. away down the hallway and start trembling.  It would be worse if I picked him up and carried him into the room.  I tried everything at bedtime.  Normally he had liked to sleep under my bed but there was no chance of that.  When I tried picking him up and putting him on the bed with me which is where he slept when he was a pup, he crawled up to the pillow and wrapped himself entirely around my head with non-stop shaking.  I have to say I've never seen a dog act so terrified.  That went on for MONTHS !  Finally when he was exhausted he'd crawl under the bed.  

Now, I should probably add that, prior to this starting, there had been no problems for him in my room or, in fact, anywhere else in the house.  (Mack's not above a potty "accident") He hadn't been disciplined over anything, nothing in the room had fallen or broken.  He can't quite jump up on my bed any more so there was really nothing I can think of that he might have hurt himself on, nothing.  

Gradually and I do mean gradually (months), his fear seemed to lessen but since then he does something I've never had another dog do.  He won't go under my bed until early morning, he ignores the dog bed he has in the room.  He now sleeps in the middle of the doorway facing the hallway and will not budge from that spot through about 3 in the morning, then he goes under the bed.   If I get up during the night he jumps up, sits in the middle of the room until I return and then goes back in the doorway.  The final thing that I've noticed recently is that he won't go in my room at night unless I am in there.  He goes in and out pretty normally during the day but at night everything changes.  When I call him for bed he will stand all the way down the hallway until I'm through with bedtime preparations and he's pretty sure I'll stay in the room, then he'll come in to it.  

I'd like to hear any ideas and I'd most love to have people tell me their dog also prefers to sleep in doorways.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Did you take him to the vet?

There may be something medically wrong or maybe his vision is going. Poor guy.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Vincennes said:

I'd like to hear any ideas and I'd most love to have people tell me their dog also prefers to sleep in doorways.  

Some dogs do. Some dogs also shun the smell of rodents and insects. Also "designer" dogs have many medical and psychological issues due to the way they were bred and their living conditions at the breeders. 

• Like 2

^ Santa , those are both very reasonable thoughts.  Although he goes to the vet regularly, I've never thought to specifically ask for his eyes to be checked.  He really doesn't act his age and still has the look of a puppy, the walk, gate of a much younger dog which is pretty typical for his breed.  I've never seen anything that would indicate dementia.  Wouldn't you think that if it were his eyes, he'd try to get against a wall and out of the way ?  He's alert if I get up during the night, moves out of my way, while in the dark ???  But I like this thought.

Edited by Vincennes

24 minutes ago, Piney said:

Some dogs do. Some dogs also shun the smell of rodents and insects. Also "designer" dogs have many medical and psychological issues due to the way they were bred and their living conditions at the breeders. 

Yep, you're correct on this.  In this case it's not a designer dog issue.  Both of his breeds have trachea issues.  This has been going on prior to his problem becoming serious but a couple of months ago, it did.  His has collapsed almost totally and because of his size and age repair is not possible.

I do like what both of you guys have said though, I've never thought of health.

• Like 1

My first thought was eyesight problems. Possibly hearing, too.

Do you think of yourself as sensitive with regard to spooky things? Because if that's what's upsetting him do you think you would experience it too?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vincennes said:

As I see you posted this in the Paranormal Section, that must be a possibility you are considering. Many cases tell us dogs are more sensitive to certain paranormal things than some people. My question is if there has been anything else suspicious going on in the house that made you consider the paranormal?

• Like 2

Do you have any ornaments as you enter or in your bedroom? It could be a design or colour he is afraid of. 

Can you think of anything new you added in or round there at around the time it started?

Where your bedroom is positioned, if he hurt himelf around that area in the past, it could stop.him going in. 

Not sure why this is in the paranormal section? 

Are your rooms all on the same level? 

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Do you have any ornaments as you enter or in your bedroom? It could be a design or colour he is afraid of. 

Can you think of anything new you added in or round there at around the time it started?

Where your bedroom is positioned, if he hurt himelf around that area in the past, it could stop.him going in. 

A few years ago we painted our garage floor. It went from a dark blue to a lighter beige color. My dog would not go out that door for about a week. The color change scared him. Then I replaced a mat by another door that freaked him out. Took him a few days to get used to it. He’s a ding-dong. Ha ha! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SecretSanta said:

A few years ago we painted our garage floor. It went from a dark blue to a lighter beige color. My dog would not go out that door for about a week. The color change scared him. Then I replaced a mat by another door that freaked him out. Took him a few days to get used to it. He’s a ding-dong. Ha ha! 

My westie will not go into the bath room because he knows thats where he goes into the shower for a wash. 

If i say "bath Charlie" he runs under the sofa into his bed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Apart from something paranormal frightening him,as you know animals are way more open than humans to these things,I think he may have had a fright from another animal in your room.Maybe a snake or possum or stray cat might have given him a bashing and then slipped out without you knowing.Those little lap type dogs are very sensitive.

First of all I appreciate all of these responses so very much.  Thanks to everyone !

They are exactly what I was hoping to hear.  I'm considering each and every one as a possible reason for his conduct.  The only thing that I have I don't think I conveyed is that he didn't just start backing away or standing his ground in the hallway.  He was absolutely terrified.  That, and the fact he continues the conduct of laying right smack in the middle of the doorway.  (I keep a doggy gate up at the doorway so that he doesn't have the ability to run about the house at night.  So he lays right at that gate.  I've even caught him with lifting himself up on the gate, trying to look down the hallway.

To those who have asked if I'm afraid something supernatural is going on, yes.  I'm old as dirt, live by myself and I don't need any ghosties in my house.  

17 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

My first thought was eyesight problems. Possibly hearing, too.

Do you think of yourself as sensitive with regard to spooky things? Because if that's what's upsetting him do you think you would experience it too?

Yes, I can be somewhat sensitive but up to the point this started NOTHING has ever seemed out of the ordinary in this house and I've lived here now for 23 years.  It was built in 1956.  It's a one floor little ordinary ranch built on a slab without even a crawl space.  I think I already mentioned that I know several people who lived in it prior to my owning it.  The person who built it is currently an active member of this area's school board.  

There is, however, a second yes to your questions.  The night prior to him beginning this conduct was strange.  I don't remember what had woken me up and all I can remember coming out of my sleep was that there was shadow movement in the room.  Normally I would have forgotten all about it but that is when Mackie's conduct in their changed.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, openozy said:

Apart from something paranormal frightening him,as you know animals are way more open than humans to these things,I think he may have had a fright from another animal in your room.Maybe a snake or possum or stray cat might have given him a bashing and then slipped out without you knowing.Those little lap type dogs are very sensitive.

Now I started this thread because I wanted reasonable reasons and, here again, you have suggested another reasonable reason.  However, it's almost WORSE than supernatural !!!  I can deal with a ghostie much easier than I can deal with the idea of a snake !  LOL  Or even a possum or a stray cat !  I'm going to set that idea aside because I live in central Ohio.  Thank God, there are snakes but they're really very few.  Also, my house has been newly sided, roofed, new floors and carpeting and I have new windows.  I had a large amount of damage from a storm is why these repairs have been done so recently.   But it makes me glad that was done and I know there isn't a large possibility of entry points.  

I do have a cat.  He wasn't with Mack and I when this initially started but lately he's started coming in and sleeping with me.  He seems to have no problem whatsoever in the room.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, freetoroam said:

In answering other people, I think I answered several of your questions.  My room is decorated in beige.  Nothing new added.  

I have tried to think how he could have possibly hurt himself in the room that badly and me not be aware of it but nothing.

I just mentioned I had a lot of damage with a storm.  That all occurred at least a couple of years before his conduct started.  Because Santa mentioned floor covering color, when I replaced the carpet I actually replaced it with exactly the same carpet I had before.

Edited by Vincennes

32 minutes ago, Vincennes said:

In answering other people, I think I answered several of your questions.  My room is decorated in beige.  Nothing new added.  

I have tried to think how he could have possibly hurt himself in the room that badly and me not be aware of it but nothing.

I just mentioned I had a lot of damage with a storm.  That all occurred at least a couple of years before his conduct started.  Because Santa mentioned floor covering color, when I replaced the carpet I actually replaced it with exactly the same carpet I had before.

The smallest of things could have spooked him, even a small knock which you did not notice. He did not need to hurt himself badly to be put off going to where it happened. 

Have you tried carrying him into the bedroom, it could be the entrance he is spooked by and not the actual bedroom? 

As for the carpet change, maybe a smell from the new carpet.

Was he there when it was being replaced?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vincennes said:

I can deal with a ghostie much easier than I can deal with the idea of a snake ! 

On the 'ghostie' possibility, has there been anything else suspicious beyond the dog/room situation?

• Like 1

Electrical static from the new carpet? Some other sort of electrical leak? Something vibrating with a high pitched whine that is uncomfortable for him?

Interesting about the shadow movement the night prior to the problem starting. If something spooky had 'moved in' then and continued to bother Mack, you'd think you(or the cat), would have picked up an occasional hint of the new presence.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Vincennes said:

We had an American Bulldog that out of nowhere one day refused to go past a certain spot in one of our hallways. To the point that she would growl if you tried to pull her past it. My wife was pregnant at the time and months later when her water broke it was at the exact spot in the hallway the dog refused to go. After we got home with the kid the dog had no problem walking past that spot. Weird as hell and kinda similar to your situation.

To your question current American Bulldog almost exclusively lays in doorways while my Boston Terrier never has.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

The smallest of things could have spooked him, even a small knock which you did not notice. He did not need to hurt himself badly to be put off going to where it happened. 

Have you tried carrying him into the bedroom, it could be the entrance he is spooked by and not the actual bedroom? 

As for the carpet change, maybe a smell from the new carpet.

Was he there when it was being replaced?

I was willing to think it could have been something small in the way of a hurt or sound but this has been going on for well over a year now and it's each and every night without one exception.  The only thing the terrorized trembling has calmed down.  

Carrying him in and even placing him on the bed with me and trying to hold and pat him didn't help at all.  

Started way before new carpet.  Yes, he was there when it was replaced.  He loves repair people in the house.  He thinks they all came to play with him and the main problem I have with workmen there is he loves to steal their tools and run with them if they lay something down. He's a people puppy for sure even at 10 yrs old.   

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

On the 'ghostie' possibility, has there been anything else suspicious beyond the dog/room situation?

A couple of things but with this going on, you start looking at things as being that.  

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

Electrical static from the new carpet? Some other sort of electrical leak? Something vibrating with a high pitched whine that is uncomfortable for him?

Interesting about the shadow movement the night prior to the problem starting. If something spooky had 'moved in' then and continued to bother Mack, you'd think you(or the cat), would have picked up an occasional hint of the new presence.

You can't know how funny your vibration comment is to me.  I just recently had a trapper/exterminator out who cost $200 because I kept hearing what I thought was a mouse under my built in book case.  Wasn't a mouse.  It was my Glade fragrance dispenser that was sitting on the book case.  It made sqeeking noises every time it dispenced fragrance !  Well he did "trap" my problem and I trashed it.  LOL  That $10 dispenser cost me $200 !  

Re, the cat.  There are times he seems to sit up and look at something across a room and I certainly can't see what has disturbed him.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

We had an American Bulldog that out of nowhere one day refused to go past a certain spot in one of our hallways. To the point that she would growl if you tried to pull her past it. My wife was pregnant at the time and months later when her water broke it was at the exact spot in the hallway the dog refused to go. After we got home with the kid the dog had no problem walking past that spot. Weird as hell and kinda similar to your situation.

To your question current American Bulldog almost exclusively lays in doorways while my Boston Terrier never has.

Sounds similar to me too.  I'm also interested that your bulldog lays in doorways.  It's just that he so strongly wants to be there.  No entrities, no treat will get him to his bed.  But maybe this is normal for some dogs.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vincennes said:

Sounds similar to me too.  I'm also interested that your bulldog lays in doorways.  It's just that he so strongly wants to be there.  No entrities, no treat will get him to his bed.  But maybe this is normal for some dogs.  

I'd say the doorway thing is guarding behaviour,something that lives in abundance in the American Bulldog.

• Like 1