Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
and then

Constitutional Carry in South Dakota

Recommended Posts

and then

https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/2019/01/31/gov-kristi-noem-signs-constitutional-carry-into-law-south-dakota/2730395002/ 

"The bill, sometimes called "Constitutional carry," gives residents the option to choose the best method for themselves — residents can still obtain a concealed carry permit for reciprocity — and it keeps the restrictions in place on who can carry a concealed handgun, she said." 

It's time for this to pass at the Federal level.  2A gives every law-abiding American the right to self-defense with a firearm and individual states should not be able to put chains on citizens in this regard.  No lists, registrations or stealth restrictions through ammo purchases.  When an individual purchases a new firearm they already have to pass a criminal background check and I have no problem with that.  I bought a new .45 today, as a matter of fact, and I can tell you that when a citizen isn't a con, it's easy to do the paperwork and get approved.  I also believe that individual businesses, churches, hospitals, schools, and government buildings have an absolute right to post signage that demands no firearms on their property.  The overall right to carry is possessed by every American that obeys the laws.  Constitutional Carry should be demanded even for citizens traveling through other states.  

My daughter might be taking a job with a defense contractor on the west coast and if she does, I'll probably be driving her car out there for her while she flies ahead to set up housekeeping.  If I do that, I'll have to actually stop before I get to Cali and use UPS to send my weapon back home to avoid having it stolen by law enforcement and possibly being fined or jailed.  That's ridiculous and insulting!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
aztek

good,  least restrictive gun laws, and permitless CC did not turn streets of Vermont in flowing rivers of blood,  no street shootouts, sky did not fall. everything liberals scare us with did not materialize in real world. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
1 hour ago, aztek said:

good,  least restrictive gun laws, and permitless CC did not turn streets of Vermont in flowing rivers of blood,  no street shootouts, sky did not fall. everything liberals scare us with did not materialize in real world. 

On the contrary... it's been my experience that people tend to be far more polite.  The only way I'd EVER draw a firearm on another person would be if I truly had no other option.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gromdor
19 hours ago, and then said:

On the contrary... it's been my experience that people tend to be far more polite.  The only way I'd EVER draw a firearm on another person would be if I truly had no other option.  

Didn't make this guy more polite:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RavenHawk
On 2/10/2019 at 6:11 PM, and then said:

My daughter might be taking a job with a defense contractor on the west coast and if she does, I'll probably be driving her car out there for her while she flies ahead to set up housekeeping.  If I do that, I'll have to actually stop before I get to Cali and use UPS to send my weapon back home to avoid having it stolen by law enforcement and possibly being fined or jailed.  That's ridiculous and insulting!

If you can avoid it, try not stopping overnight in Albuquerque (if you go I40).  Out of town cars have a habit of disappearing.  It's a beautiful drive during the day.  Depending on your driving habits, stop in Amarillo or Flagstaff.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey
9 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Didn't make this guy more polite:

 

We already have laws to deal with people who kill others. I wonder how this would have turned out had the other fellow been pointing a gun back at him? You can't stop people from getting guns - that's nigh impossible. You can't depend on law enforcement to be there in time, every time. But you can level the playing field and maximize your chances of survival by possessing equal force. Anti-gun laws are anti-feminist and anti-minority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey
On 11/02/2019 at 10:04 AM, aztek said:

good,  least restrictive gun laws, and permitless CC did not turn streets of Vermont in flowing rivers of blood,  no street shootouts, sky did not fall. everything liberals scare us with did not materialize in real world. 

There are two sets of stats that Dem politicians refuse to address: the low rate of violent crime in open/concealed carry States and the high rate of violent crime in "gun free" inner cities.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gromdor
1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

We already have laws to deal with people who kill others. I wonder how this would have turned out had the other fellow been pointing a gun back at him? You can't stop people from getting guns - that's nigh impossible. You can't depend on law enforcement to be there in time, every time. But you can level the playing field and maximize your chances of survival by possessing equal force. Anti-gun laws are anti-feminist and anti-minority.

It would have turned out just like it did.   The law was on the UBER driver's side because the idiot ran him off the road and claimed he had a gun.  Unfortunately for him, the UBER drive had a gun and shot him dead.  The presence of firearms didn't make him less obnoxious or rude, it just made him dead.  I figure it was a decent enough example to disprove the growing myth that firearms makes people more polite to each other.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
3 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

If you can avoid it, try not stopping overnight in Albuquerque (if you go I40).  Out of town cars have a habit of disappearing.  It's a beautiful drive during the day.  Depending on your driving habits, stop in Amarillo or Flagstaff.

Flagstaff, it is.  I've been to both locations and Flagstaff is far more enticing.  I might even go a day early so I can check out the Lowell Observatory.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agent0range

Eh...I could care less.  I can conceal and carry in every single state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
12 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Didn't make this guy more polite:

 

An Den?  An What?  For every anecdote of stupidity or craziness, you could find hundreds, thousands of concealed or open carriers that obey the law and cause no problems for anyone.  I usually carry concealed when I walk at night but if I happen to forget to bring my CCP or ID, I open carry so as not to lose my license or my weapon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
Just now, Agent0range said:

Eh...I could care less.  I can conceal and carry in every single state.

It should be the same for ALL law abiding American citizens.  2A shouldn't be tortured by some states and embraced by others for political reasons.  I'm furious at my home state for not passing legislation removing the need for carrying permits and the fees that Sheriff's office gain from them.  GRRRR.  If a person is a convicted felon, domestic abuser or stoner/ alcoholic in the cups, they can't purchase a weapon legally anyway.  With the exception of family members or other private sales, it just isn't possible for them to have the weapon, to begin with, and if they CAN meet the sensible criteria states have NO RIGHT to refuse a citizen the ability for self-defense with a firearm.  Open Carry is a bit more of a touchy situation.  With the stuck on stupid types that inevitably will bubble to the surface in any crowd, overreactions, misunderstandings, and accidents are bound to go up some.  Not to mention that if you happen to be unlucky enough to be on the scene when some nut-job starts shooting, he might just make you the first target.  Concealed is always better in public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Gromdor
16 minutes ago, and then said:

An Den?  An What?  For every anecdote of stupidity or craziness, you could find hundreds, thousands of concealed or open carriers that obey the law and cause no problems for anyone.  I usually carry concealed when I walk at night but if I happen to forget to bring my CCP or ID, I open carry so as not to lose my license or my weapon.  

Just saying firearms don't make for a more polite society.  We have 300 million firearms here in the states yet the "knock out game" was a thing here.  https://www.cnn.com/2013/11/22/justice/knockout-game-teen-assaults/index.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lord Harry
On 2/10/2019 at 7:11 PM, and then said:

https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/2019/01/31/gov-kristi-noem-signs-constitutional-carry-into-law-south-dakota/2730395002/ 

"The bill, sometimes called "Constitutional carry," gives residents the option to choose the best method for themselves — residents can still obtain a concealed carry permit for reciprocity — and it keeps the restrictions in place on who can carry a concealed handgun, she said." 

It's time for this to pass at the Federal level.  2A gives every law-abiding American the right to self-defense with a firearm and individual states should not be able to put chains on citizens in this regard.  No lists, registrations or stealth restrictions through ammo purchases.  When an individual purchases a new firearm they already have to pass a criminal background check and I have no problem with that.  I bought a new .45 today, as a matter of fact, and I can tell you that when a citizen isn't a con, it's easy to do the paperwork and get approved.  I also believe that individual businesses, churches, hospitals, schools, and government buildings have an absolute right to post signage that demands no firearms on their property.  The overall right to carry is possessed by every American that obeys the laws.  Constitutional Carry should be demanded even for citizens traveling through other states.  

My daughter might be taking a job with a defense contractor on the west coast and if she does, I'll probably be driving her car out there for her while she flies ahead to set up housekeeping.  If I do that, I'll have to actually stop before I get to Cali and use UPS to send my weapon back home to avoid having it stolen by law enforcement and possibly being fined or jailed.  That's ridiculous and insulting!

Good stuff brother.  I will soon be applying for and receiving a Tennessee concealed carry permit.  This law needs to be in all 50 states.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
3 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Just saying firearms don't make for a more polite society.  We have 300 million firearms here in the states yet the "knock out game" was a thing here.  https://www.cnn.com/2013/11/22/justice/knockout-game-teen-assaults/index.html

I can accept that it's that way in Iowa.  My exposure to that state is limited to Mount Pleasant and Ottumwa, very briefly.  I just know that folks in south Alabama who aren't in the inner-city or suburban areas adjacent to it tend to mind their own business and not casually get into altercations because you're never sure who's carrying and who isn't.  That said, I'd be so concerned with some defense lawyer destroying me and putting me in a cell for defending my life that I'd probably be overly cautious and maybe eat a biscuit because of it.  Maybe, anyway.  One thing sure, I wouldn't casually draw down on anyone.  Anger is usually temporary, and death isn't a good solution for dealing with hurt feelings. 

I actually had one guy use his pickup in the role of the "bull" with ME as the "Toreador" on a county road I was walking one night.  Seriously.  Dude kept driving past me, slamming on brakes, passing me in reverse, slamming on brakes, then zooming past me again...each time a little closer.  At that time I recognized that a small .380 LCP wasn't enough to plead my case with, in all situations.  ;)  Funny thing about that night, when he got tired of zooming and reversing, he casually pulled up next to me, rolled down his window and asked me if I was okay.  I couldn't see anything inside the cab of the truck because there wasn't enough interior lighting and I realized he could have had a cannon perched on his door frame getting ready to end me.  A sobering experience that I never forgot.  If he had actually gotten out of the truck and moved on me I think I'd have unloaded on him.  I just assumed he was stoned or drunk or maybe was running a meth lab on one of the county roads I walked.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
Just now, Lord Harry said:

Good stuff brother.  I will soon be applying for and receiving a Tennessee concealed carry permit.  This law needs to be in all 50 states.

I lived in Mississippi for a decade and I'll have to say that their gun laws are superior to Alabama in one way.  You don't need a conceal carry permit to have a loaded weapon in your vehicle.  They consider motor vehicles an extension of a person's home.  To carry it out of the car though, you need a permit.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lord Harry
1 minute ago, and then said:

I lived in Mississippi for a decade and I'll have to say that their gun laws are superior to Alabama in one way.  You don't need a conceal carry permit to have a loaded weapon in your vehicle.  They consider motor vehicles an extension of a person's home.  To carry it out of the car though, you need a permit.  

Yeah, Mississippi has one of the better gun laws in the country.  The best, believe it or not, is actually in Vermont.  Last I checked one doesn't need a permit to carry open or concealed.  The only restriction is the very reasonable prohibition on felons owning firearms. 

I was surprised by Vermont's lenient gun laws considering it's modern left leaning tilt.  But a few decades ago, we forget, Vermont was a solid red state.  It was only with an influx of people from Massachusetts that the state become more liberal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.