Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Multiethnicity good or bad?

Relam

2 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

And if you had to move to a different country with a group of fellow countrymen (and women), you'd do exactly the same damn thing.

I find the concept of patriotism and blind loyalty in the construct that is "a nation" so weird. Only a country as new as America could you ever do it with a straight face.

Part of human psychology is the need for an identity and sense of belonging. This means we search for a group, and a community, and a nation to belong too. It also means we develop an identity inside them. Racism is perfectly natural and normal. Its a behaviour we have evolved to ensure the survival of our genes. And its an evolved behaviour which undermines modern attempts to build a global or multi-cultural society. 

Evolutionary pressures have not shaped us to be able to live in a globalised world or multi-cultural society. Idealists who think this isn't the case are deluding themselves. Instead of denying what we actually are it is better to accept it and then for us to learn to manage ourselves effectively.

We shouldn't try to engineer it out of ourselves either because there is a time when a country needs nationalism and racism. For example when a war erupts. Its a lot harder getting soldiers to kill those people who they identify with. Also propaganda isn't as effective as some would like to believe in dehumanising the enemy so our troops can kill them.

But in a globalised world where we all require cordial trading relationships and to get along with each other its important our nationalistic and racist tendencies are kept under wrap. That is until those times when we need them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

The issue isn't immigration, per se.  Most people have nothing against it.  The issue is the way it's done.  In Australia you don't share a border with any other country so all your immigrants have to come through regulated ports of entry.  There is a process to it.  The same was true in the US in the time you mention.  For the most part the immigrants came from Europe and also went through certain ports.  It was regulated and people came to find work and become Americans.  What we have now is different, with hordes of people coming over the border unregulated and unvetted. The main attraction seems to be our wide and generous safety net of social services and government assistance.  There are communities living on our largesse while at the same time flying flags of the country they left and chanting anti-American slogans.  In other words, they're spitting in our face with their hand in our pocket.  People raised in that environment, with no need to work or assimilate, are not likely to "melt into the pot" by the next generation.  The whole point of the wall and associated arguments is not to stop immigration or to bar certain nationalities or races but merely to channel people through recognized ports of entry.  To make our immigration situation more like yours or the way ours used to be.

In the UK most dont agree with mass immigration. I think the underlying issue is we didnt give our consent of it to our politicians yet they do it anyway. Maybe in the USA people do consent to it?

1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

In the UK most dont agree with mass immigration. I think the underlying issue is we didnt give our consent of it to our politicians yet they do it anyway. Maybe in the USA people do consent to it?

We don't consent to mass immigration but some of our politicians like importing votes, that's the crux of the argument.  We were built on immigration, a slow, regulated trickle, controlled from the inside.  What we're facing now is a flood, with all the chaos and damage that implies.  

• Like 3

Just to make a point about cancer rates I have two charts below. The first showing immigration rates into the UK of ethnic minorities and the second prostrate cancer rates here in the UK amongst men.

M00zt-e1450462302513.png

prostatecancersummary2010chart-tcm77-302

While correlation isn't causation it does seem that bringing together genetics which haven't evolved together increases cancer rates.

38 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

And if you had to move to a different country with a group of fellow countrymen (and women), you'd do exactly the same damn thing.

if you have to leave a country due to economic or social\gvmnt  problems,  why would you be more loyal to it than a country who gave you a refuge and lets you live your life better and without fear???  if you still loyal to your country, go back there, you have no reason to be in my country,

i's like being more loyal to your old abusive ex husband than to a new one who is total opposite. 

• Like 3

On 11/02/2019 at 1:31 AM, Relam said:

Hello, i am from europe and here are lots of heavy nationalists in small countries that have ideologies about homogeneous nations etc.., so i would like to ask americans because you have the most multiethnic country, what do you think about multiethnicity in your country is it good or bad and what americans think about nationalism? is it important?

I'm aware of the rise of ethnic nationalism and far-right movements in the US, Europe and elsewhere, but Canada is relatively free of such racial and ethnic tensions. We were the first country to adopt multiculturalism as an official policy. and our success in integrating people from around the globe (through our various policies and immigration system) has been held up as a model for the world. Integration, rather than assimilation, is the key to our success. No one attempts to alter the identity of an individual or group so that it conforms to one single defined identity. In Canada, multiculturalism is our identity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Emma_Acid said:

Nowhere did I say this. I said that Nationalism is an invented movement that is born out of racist intentions. I never said you were doing either. Love your country all your want, but do be careful of the "traditional identity" angle. Countries change, and national identities are always in flux. That's just something you and your racially diverse group of country-loving friends is just going to have to get used to.

Nationalism is basically the desire to assure everyone is assimilated,  It really has nothing to do with race.  American Exceptionalism goes beyond race.  Americans of European, African, Asian descent are still different enough from their heredity counterparts.  It's that "traditional identity" which identifies culture.  When you immigrate, you purposely break all ties with the old culture and take on the new culture, even though it means accepting things that you have no tie to.  But by assimilating, you make a new association.  National identities are not in flux.  Being an American today is the same as it was 200 years ago.  History has modified us since but we are still American.  Borders, language, culture stays the same.  New, fully assimilated peoples add to it but it is never in flux.  Columbus Day should remain Columbus Day.  Sure, we're finding that everyone from Minoans and Egyptians to Chinese and aliens were here before Columbus, but none of them changed the world like the Columbian Exchange did.  I think it fine that we have an Indigenous Day too, there's just no reason to remove the cultural acknowledgement of the discovery of the nation and what that meant.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

eing an American today is the same as it was 200 years ago.  History has modified us since but we are still American.  Borders, language, culture stays the same. 

Not even kind of.

1200px-UnitedStatesExpansion.png

Evolution of American English

And just like borders and language our culture has evolved as well. Do you think Americans ate Pizza a couple of times a week 200 years ago? Of course not it was immigration that brought that culture change to us.

Was Trump rocking a powder wig at the SOTU? ....wait wait maybe a bad example

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Not even kind of.

And just like borders and language our culture has evolved as well. Do you think Americans ate Pizza a couple of times a week 200 years ago? Of course not it was immigration that brought that culture change to us.

Was Trump rocking a powder wig at the SOTU? ....wait wait maybe a bad example

Pay attention!  Didn’t say it didn’t evolve.  What do you think “history modified us” means?  They may not have had pizza but they had an equivalent.  It was probably dumplings or even grits.  Whatever it was, it would have still been recognized as being American.  Where I live, it’s burritos or tacos.  The state question is “Red or Green?”  My Czech grandmother when they settled here started adding green chile to kielbasa and pierogi.  My Polish father-in-law still thinks that is sacrilegious. :)   It’s all-American.

Edited by RavenHawk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Pay attention!  Didn’t say it didn’t evolve.  What do you think “history modified us” means? 

It probably means even you dont believe the words that preceded and followed it, yet you posted them anyways. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Just to make a point about cancer rates I have two charts below. The first showing immigration rates into the UK of ethnic minorities and the second prostrate cancer rates here in the UK amongst men.

M00zt-e1450462302513.png

While correlation isn't causation it does seem that bringing together genetics which haven't evolved together increases cancer rates.

So by your chart my partner and my child are more likely to get cancer because both are mixed race? 

My ex father in-law to be who was Irish on his fathers side but Australian born got cancer and he was white. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

So by your chart my partner and my child are more likely to get cancer because both are mixed race? 

My ex father in-law to be who was Irish on his fathers side but Australian born got cancer and he was white. 

There is literally 0 scientific data or evidence for his claim...

Any argument presented without evidence can be dismissed without evidence...

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

No.  The doctors and researchers have attributed the increase to aging population.  Here's a link with more data: https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/statistics-by-cancer-type/prostate-cancer/incidence

The Brits getting it are typically 50-90 years old with the peak at around 70.  There is no correlation between immigrants and the prostate cancer rate.

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

M00zt-e1450462302513.png

And in this graph, the age of Miss America correlates strongly with the numbers of murders involving hot objects or steam that year. Whats your point?

2enmf6q.jpg

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Emma_Acid said:

And in this graph, the age of Miss America correlates strongly with the numbers of murders involving hot objects or steam that year. Whats your point?

2enmf6q.jpg

Now you are just trying to be deliberately awkward arent you? You`re the type of poster who needs everybody else to agree with you and cannot cope when they dont lol.

There exists a correlation between the number of immigrants in society and the rates of various types of cancer. Its not rocket science figuring out what the link is. A human cell is a finely tuned engine of various different parts all working together in harmony. When a disruption to that harmony occurs the cells dont work properly. In mixed race offspring what is happening is two sets of genetics which haven't evolved together are being brought together inside cells. They haven't been fine tuned to be in harmony with each other through evolution. The result is parents of two different races playing Russian Roulette with their mixed race children.

I would say the worst combination would be native American DNA combined with African DNA. They are the most genetically distinct from each other races on the planet. Maybe this is the reason behind the high rates of crime, cancer, and mental health problems in the USA? Genetics which arent fine tuned with each other being brought together inside of cells causing the problems in the USA?? Genetics plays a role in crime, cancer, and mental health problems.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

Now you are just trying to be deliberately awkward arent you? You`re the type of poster who needs everybody else to agree with you and cannot cope when they dont lol.

There exists a correlation between the number of immigrants in society and the rates of various types of cancer. Its not rocket science figuring out what the link is. A human cell is a finely tuned engine of various different parts all working together in harmony. When a disruption to that harmony occurs the cells dont work properly. In mixed race offspring what is happening is two sets of genetics which haven't evolved together are being brought together inside cells. They haven't been fine tuned to be in harmony with each other through evolution. The result is parents of two different races playing Russian Roulette with their mixed race children.

I would say the worst combination would be native American DNA combined with African DNA. They are the most genetically distinct from each other races on the planet. Maybe this is the reason behind the high rates of crime, cancer, and mental health problems in the USA? Genetics which arent fine tuned with each other being brought together inside of cells causing the problems in the USA?? Genetics plays a role in crime, cancer, and mental health problems.

So these 50-90 year old men getting prostate cancer are the result of mixed unions these last few decades?  I would be more inclined to believe in the correlation if the prostate cancer rates were in males 0-19 years old (and of mixed race) but they simply don't exist.  Your graph really does have the same level of correlation as Emma_Acid's.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Aquila King said:

There is literally 0 scientific data or evidence for his claim...

Any argument presented without evidence can be dismissed without evidence...

Yeah, I don't believe it either without studies to prove it.

However, that is not to say it isn't possible. 

i'm pretty sure race mixing has little to do with cancer, it is more about lifestyles, diets, than anything else, cancer is up in every segment of population. 

• Like 4

I don't think it's ethnicity that is the real issue.  Although it might seem to manifest that way.  But in response to the OP I would say it's culture that smaller countries in Europe are fighting for and ethnicity just makes it easier to identify someone as perhaps not fitting in with a culture.  Here is an interview with a Polish boxer.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2019 at 10:16 AM, RabidMongoose said:

Correlation does not equal causation, no matter how much pseudo-science ("finely tuned engines") you want to bung in there to support your staggeringly neo-nazi-ish views.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 13/02/2019 at 8:16 PM, RabidMongoose said:

African DNA?

There is more genetic diversity between two Africans than any two people on the rest if the planet.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

African DNA?

There is more genetic diversity between two Africans than any two people on the rest if the planet.

Is that true?    Just asking because I don't know.  

On 11. 02. 2019. at 11:47 AM, Piney said:

I don't even think about it and I'm mixed. At one time I hated mixed relationships because I was the product of one and was a aberration to either side as a kid.

America did try to destroy our culture and breed us out so I appreciate other non-European people crashing in en mass and causing consternation for many whites.  :yes:

I know man exactly what are you talking i am from oldest tribe in south europe and there is a some sort of pride when you are native and non mixed,we had a lots of wars with Roman empire and Turks and we hated them because lot's of people here lost their identity because they almost cleared from earth our old native culture,  but anyway it's not possible to be homogeneous and clean,it's about who is real human and who is not.

• Thanks 1