Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Here are the best ways to cook insects

Still Waters

For thousands of years people from all over the world have eaten insects. Today about 2.5 billion people – many of whom live in Africa – eat insects. To date, 470 African edible insects have been scientifically recorded, with grasshoppers and termites among some of the favourites.

We need to rethink our diets and food habits, in particular those related to meat consumption. Because insects are an affordable and local food source rich in protein, they can be used as a meat replacement. To help in this, we put together a guide on how insects can be eaten. To collect the most authentic, flavourful and varied recipes we visited villages in rural areas and spoke to local cooks about how to prepare their favourite specialties.

https://phys.org/news/2019-02-fried-steamed-toasted-ways-cook.html

bon appétit!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Where are my ants ? I don't see any ants on my plate ...

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The grasshoppers in the first photo look like they're reclining on a bed of rice without a care in the world.

Very informative article. And whilst I realise the consumption of insects is not without benefits, I'd sooner starve the squeeze the guts out of a mopane worm.

• Like 2

I would be happy to eat insects in my food if they were chopped up and mixed in. I don't want to be looking at legs and bug eyes, or crunching anything too obvious.

• Like 2

I've never gotten why people are so squeamish about eating insects...

We inadvertantly eat quite a few each year without ever knowing it,and if the vast majority of the population ever once butchered their own meat they might find the inside of a squished insect isn't THAT disgusting :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

We inadvertantly eat quite a few each year without ever knowing it,

We eat a lot of insects in all kinds of food. And  ..........this makes me chuckle..........  so do vegetarians!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I've never gotten why people are so squeamish about eating insects...

We inadvertantly eat quite a few each year without ever knowing it,and if the vast majority of the population ever once butchered their own meat they might find the inside of a squished insect isn't THAT disgusting :lol:

Inadvertently is the key. :lol: I've eaten a chocolate covered cricket and couldn't get over the texture. I've butchered my own meat and it's nowhere near the same to me.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Inadvertently is the key. :lol: I've eaten a chocolate covered cricket and couldn't get over the texture. I've butchered my own meat and it's nowhere near the same to me.

I clean and process my own deer,turkey,ect all the time...

You saying that little bit of goo inside a bug is nastier than intestines,colon,lungs,an anus :lol:

A CRICKET made you freakout?!... :wacko: :lol:

Hope you don't eat hotdogs lol

Edited by CrimsonKing
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I clean and process my own deer,turkey,ect all the time...

You saying that little bit of goo inside a bug is nastier than intestines,colon,lungs,an anus :lol:

A CRICKET made you freakout?!... :wacko: :lol:

Hope you don't eat hotdogs lol

I've skinned and processed deer and hogs. It's the legs I can't get around. Stringy overgrown okra does the same thing to me. :lol:

I rarely eat hotdogs, but they are so mushy you can't tell what's in them. :lol:

Edited by Michelle
  • Haha 2

Just saying...insects are part of the INSECT food chain...well...yeah...some animals eat them...but...NO! :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

You know why cats are chucked full of worms in the summer?

Just make sure you cook with well done in mind.

UPDATE:::: THE BUGS NOT TH E CAT ! EEEEEEH

Edited by MWoo7
  • Haha 4

I would try cricket flour or any number of things I've heard about. There is nothing particularly sickening to me about eating bugs. It depends entirely on the form and how they are prepared.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MWoo7 said:

You know why cats are chucked full of worms in the summer?

Just make sure you cook with well done in mind.

UPDATE:::: THE BUGS NOT TH E CAT ! EEEEEEH

Fish don't care what the cat ate.

• Haha 3

Just now, Michelle said:

I would try cricket flour or any number of things I've heard about. There is nothing particularly sickening to me about eating bugs. It depends entirely on the form and how they are prepared.

I'll send ya a bag of legs for Christmas... :lol:

• Haha 1

Humans should eat insects!  But only in the dire straits of starvation!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I'll send ya a bag of legs for Christmas... :lol:

Turd...

• Haha 2

Just now, joc said:

Humans should eat insects!  But only in the dire straits of starvation!

Most abundant source of protein on the entire planet!

• Like 2

Sounds pretty good to me... but mantids will eat most anything.  Just don't include me in the list of what to throw on the grill!  ;)

• Haha 2

I; mentioned that because I'm pretty sure some survival manuals a few years back I forget the branch but they had to be updated BECAUSE YOU DON"T GO GRABBING HAND FULLS OF GRASSHOPPERS ETC. EATING AWAY, you have to cook them.  I thought it important now excuse me as I have a pile of noodles to try and eat without!!!!! thinking of worms. NIGHTERZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Edited by MWoo7
semantics
  • Haha 2

I had chocolate covered ants once. Not bad.

On the other hand pickled scorpion would make me puke. Some bars out west have this for the bold drunkard.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Deep fried grasshoppers are popular in Thailand, known as "sky prawns"

• Thanks 1

Sorry, but ...

C85G1dV.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Michelle said:

We bought a bag of chips made from cricket flour. Honestly they tasted fine but they tried to get all cute by making a bug mascot on the bag and that reminder of what I was eating just killed it for me.

• Haha 3