Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How will humans evolve ?

UM-Bot

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:51 PM, docyabut2 said:

only mentally?)

Why? Do you think that the current human form is the epitome of perfection?

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Good question.   modern existence seems to be contributing to devolution of the species in some ways?  

Our ways of life and livelihoods seem to offer a limited range of daily experiences and challenges?  

(going to the mall doesn't really count)

What does a kid need nowadays, except a nimble set of thumbs to navigate an electronic device?

..wippersnappers !  .. phew, I'm beginning to sound old ! :P

Edited by lightly

3 hours ago, lightly said:

Good question.   modern existence seems to be contributing to devolution of the species in some ways?  

Our ways of life and livelihoods seem to offer a limited range of daily experiences and challenges?  

(going to the mall doesn't really count)

What does a kid need nowadays, except a nimble set of thumbs to navigate an electronic device?

..wippersnappers !  .. phew, I'm beginning to sound old ! :P

Humans don't change.  We have evolved all we are going to.  The robots will eventually wipe us out.  So...in effect...we evolved to create a new species that isn't even alive.  

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, joc said:

Humans don't change.  We have evolved all we are going to.  The robots will eventually wipe us out.  So...in effect...we evolved to create a new species that isn't even alive.  

Humans don't change ?  how did we become human if there was no change involved?   " we " changed until we became human and then just stopped  changing?    Maybe your right...but it doesn't sound right to me.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:55 AM, brian100 said:

The next evolutionary change is to become a ghost or ever-lasting life.

to me is why our bodies can change from the environment.?

On 9/7/2019 at 11:16 PM, lightly said:

Humans don't change ?  how did we become human if there was no change involved?   " we " changed until we became human and then just stopped  changing?    Maybe your right...but it doesn't sound right to me.

We don't need to outcompete any more. And we don't have to fit into niches. So there's little reason for us to change as we are suited to our niche. Sharks and alligators have changed very little over millions of years for this very reason. They have adapted well to their environment and are difficult to outcompete naturally. Any new adaption is unlikely to offer a significant advantage for us to survive so its highly unlikely. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, psyche101 said:

We don't need to outcompete any more. And we don't have to fit into niches. So there's little reason for us to change as we are suited to our niche. Sharks and alligators have changed very little over millions of years for this very reason. They have adapted well to their environment and are difficult to outcompete naturally. Any new adaption is unlikely to offer a significant advantage for us to survive so its highly unlikely. 

Hmm,   Thanks for the explanation psyche.   ...so , competition is the only driving factor in adaptions and change?  That makes me wonder what effect, if any, Lack of competition might have on our development. ? But, as you say, sharks and alligators don't seem to have suffered from such a long lasting beneficent environmental relationship.

I honestly wonder if we may have De-volved to some degree...since life has gotten "easier" .   ?  Maybe not...maybe people just seem to be getting stupider.  :P

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lightly said:

Hmm,   Thanks for the explanation psyche.   ...so , competition is the only driving factor in adaptions and change?  That makes me wonder what effect, if any, Lack of competition might have on our development. ? But, as you say, sharks and alligators don't seem to have suffered from such a long lasting beneficent environmental relationship.

Pretty much best fit for purpose. The best fit survives 

15 hours ago, lightly said:

I honestly wonder if we may have De-volved to some degree...since life has gotten "easier" .   ?  Maybe not...maybe people just seem to be getting stupider.  :P

LOL, that's quite possible...... 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, lightly said:

I like this quote following the description of the Bajau People and their characteristic of a large spleen

"When you dive, when you hold your breath, one of the things that happens as a part of what's called the mammalian dive reflex is that your spleen contracts. This is important because your spleen is holding red blood cells that are carrying oxygen.

"When it contracts, it pushes those red blood cells into your system and gives you an oxygen boost.

"So, through natural selection, over thousands of years what happens is that the people who had larger spleens were either less likely to die during dives, because breath-hold diving can actually be quite dangerous."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-15/humans-are-still-evolving-what-will-future-hold/11100284

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Pretty much best fit for purpose. The best fit survives 

LOL, that's quite possible...... 

...I thought of an example of human change that may not be linked to competition or survival of the fittest.    ??

If there is no reason for change because we have found our "niche" and are so perfectly suited to our environment....why do people continue to get taller ?    

I have seen ancient Japanese and European suits of armor which are very short.    Are humans so warlike that the tallest (and therefore having the longest arms/reach) survivors pass on their lankiness??  That seems an unlikely answer ...so...why are people getting taller?   "Out competing" doesn't seem to be the answer?

Edited by lightly