Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
and then

What consequences for those that spread hate?

407 posts in this topic

hacktorp

It seems that in the case of Nick Sandmann, the consequence of falsely accusing him of spreading hate is a gigantic payday.  First he sued The Washington Post for $250 million, and now he's suing CNN for $275 million.

Sandmann, family sue CNN for $275M in Covington Catholic controversy

https://www.foxnews.com/us/sandmann-family-sue-cnn-for-275m-in-covington-catholic-controversy

Something tells me even the Democrat girls will find his "punchable face" oh-so smoochable...

• Haha 1

Farmer77
17 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

It seems that in the case of Nick Sandmann, the consequence of falsely accusing him of spreading hate is a gigantic payday.  First he sued The Washington Post for $250 million, and now he's suing CNN for $275 million.

Yeah his family is rich but not Bezos, Time Warner type rich. Im having trouble seeing a huge win for the kid here.

It will be an interesting case to watch for pecedent though. 

F3SS

I've been under the assumption that this kids family isn't paying these big-time lawyers. I figured the scale and notoriety brought lawyers out of the woodwork to do this pro-bono. After all, they stand to make millions themselves if they win plus the high scale business they'd do afterwards.

• Like 3

Farmer77
Just now, F3SS said:

I've been under the assumption that this kids family isn't paying these big-time lawyers. I figured the scale and notoriety brought lawyers out of the woodwork to do this pro-bono. After all, they stand to make millions themselves if they win plus the high scale business they'd do afterwards.

Oh most likely, im no legal scholar but I just picture a lawsuit like this as a war of attrition, and the one with the most resources usually wins those.

• Like 1

DieChecker
On 3/11/2019 at 7:49 PM, Farmer77 said:

I dont believe that political violence is covered under hate crime laws.

I looked it up. State of California does not list political affiliation as a protected class. 

A criminal act or attempted criminal act against an individual or group of individuals because of their actual or perceived race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, or disability.

A crime is an act deemed to be illegal, it becomes a hate crime when it is motivated by bias or prejudice against a person or people perceived to be a part of a group, and that is intended to induce fear, scare, terrify or cause psychological harm. 

Does sound like what Mr Greenberg intended though. 

In doing a bit of research I did see that some cities include "political affiliations" such as Washington DC.

DieChecker

Re: Berkley/Greenberg scuffle.

Tried, but can't find an actual pic online of the "offensive" sign.

I think it was either under table, or laying flat on the table, based on the grey hoodie guy pointing down when accusing Williams of inciting violence.

hacktorp
Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2019 at 8:51 PM, Farmer77 said:

Oh most likely, im no legal scholar but I just picture a lawsuit like this as a war of attrition, and the one with the most resources usually wins those.

Sandmann's attorney is nationally-known defamation lawyer L. Lin Wood...and yes, he's working pro bono.

Even in a war of attrition, don't bet against Wood on this one...he smells blood in the water:

“The Washington Post, owned by the richest man in the world, led the print media’s false attacks against Nicholas’ reputation. CNN led the broadcast media’s charge against Nicholas. Both recklessly spread lies about a minor to advance their own financial and political agendas,” explains the narrator in Wood’s latest video.

“Despite raw video debunking the false narrative, the Post and CNN doubled down on their reckless lies,” continues the video, “Lies that will forever haunt and endanger the life of an innocent young man, lies that further divided our nation.”

“How long will we allow these media giants to tear at the fabric of our lives to further their own agendas? Will they ever be held accountable? Yes, they will.”

"They messed with the wrong kid."

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/03/13/covington-catholic-student-nicholas-sandmanns-lawyer-they-messed-with-the-wrong-kid/

This may not bring down Bezos, but it could truly bring CNN and WaPo to their knees.

Edited by hacktorp
  • Like 1