Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

12th-century three-person loo seat on display

4 posts in this topic

Still Waters

A rare 12th-century toilet seat built to accommodate three users at once is to go on display for the first time at the Museum of London Docklands.

Nine hundred years after the roughly carved plank of oak was first placed over a cesspit near a tributary of the Thames, it will form the centrepiece of an exhibition about the capital’s “secret” rivers.

The strikingly well preserved seat, still showing the axe marks where its three rough holes were cut, once sat behind a mixed commercial and residential tenement building on what is now Ludgate Hill, near St Paul’s Cathedral, on land that in the mid-1100s would have been a small island in the river Fleet.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/feb/13/helles-toilet-12th-century-three-person-loo-seat-goes-on-display

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Impedancer

Imagine the conversations on that toilet they must have been some what strained... 

• Like 4

Likely Guy

My grandparents outhouse was quite fancy. It featured an adult sized hole, a child sized hole and a galvanized trough for men to pee. My grandmother also planted a lot of lilacs around it so that it actually smelled quite nice (at least in the summer).

Edit: It also had an old Eaton's catalogue (just in case).

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 3

Likely Guy

Oops. Double post.

Edit: I actually miss that outhouse.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2