Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neanderthal footprints found in Gibraltar?

Still Waters

Scientific research into traces of animal and human footprints found in Gibraltar and dating back up 29,000 years has been published in a prestigious international journal, adding further international importance to the Rock’s heritage from the Ice Age period.

The footprints were identified in the sand dune above Catalan Bay and correspond to species known from fossil material to have inhabited Gibraltar, according to the research published in Quaternary Science Reviews.

http://chronicle.gi/2019/02/footprints-sand-shed-light-gibraltars-history/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/02/190213100452.htm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Scientific research into traces of animal and human footprints found in Gibraltar and dating back up 29,000 years has been published in a prestigious international journal, adding further international importance to the Rock’s heritage from the Ice Age period.

The footprints were identified in the sand dune above Catalan Bay and correspond to species known from fossil material to have inhabited Gibraltar, according to the research published in Quaternary Science Reviews.

http://chronicle.gi/2019/02/footprints-sand-shed-light-gibraltars-history/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/02/190213100452.htm

This is significant. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mellon Man said:

This is significant. 

I think they were common in the UK. I was digging through a bed of Dover flint that was used as ship ballast and then railroad bedding with a couple of archaeologists ( we were looking for knapping material) and one of them found 3 Mousterian hand axes within a 1/2 mile length. 

This was at the port in Camden, New Jersey and if there were 3 in that bed, how many other tools were scooped up and sites destroyed? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Razumov said:

You think the axes were from Neanderthals?

I know they were. They were Mousterian. That was their trademark techno-complex in Europe.

So "Mr. Expert on Hominids" hasn't studied them too much eh?  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 9:28 PM, Piney said:

I know they were. They were Mousterian. That was their trademark techno-complex in Europe.

So "Mr. Expert on Hominids" hasn't studied them too much eh?  :rolleyes:

No, your comment was confusing.

My theories tend towards a higher level of neandethal sophistication than current consensus.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Razumov said:

My theories tend towards a higher level of neandethal sophistication than current consensus.

Later Neanderthal probably were.. But they weren't in Britain because it iced up and drove them out. The glaciers didn't melt again until they were extinct and then Homo Sapiens moved in.

I think they were really sophisticated in the end. But their population was so small they just mixed with humans or died out. Most of the offspring between the 2 species were probably sterile. That maybe why the DNA percentage in modern Humans is so small. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Piney said:

Later Neanderthal probably were.. But they weren't in Britain because it iced up and drove them out. The glaciers didn't melt again until they were extinct and then Homo Sapiens moved in.

I think they were really sophisticated in the end. But their population was so small they just mixed with humans or died out. Most of the offspring between the 2 species were probably sterile. That maybe why the DNA percentage in modern Humans is so small. 

Bearing in mind there are stories of exceptional lifespans in ancient times from a variety of sources, combined with a harsh ice age environment, I am open to the possibility that their rate of breeding was far lower than ours.

So not only didnt they go extinct, they fully integrated with homo sapiens producing a new hybrid species called Europeans. But because their rate of breeding was lower than homo sapiens then their DNA now only makes up 4% of modern day European genome.

That is except for the Scottish. There are way to many ginger people up there lol

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

Bearing in mind there are stories of exceptional lifespans in ancient times from a variety of sources

Except that doesn't pan out in the archaeological record. There are plenty of American stories of the amazing lifespans of the American Indians but according to skeletal evidence we didn't live past 50 at the greatest extent. In Britain it is the same. Your average oldest Bell Beaker and Celtic skeletons are 35-40 years old. Given there are exceptions

Also Neanderthal DNA is in everyone outside of Sub-Saharan Africans. Not just Europeans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Razumov said:

No, your comment was confusing.

I agree. Actually i have read through a bit of evidence that they were highly intelligent. Either way i don't think its a coincidence that the area with highest concentration of intermixed neanderthal dna is also where the most mpdern afvancements in society began. I wouldnt be the least bit suprised if they were to be accredited with any of our ancient mysterious monuments.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

I agree. Actually i have read through a bit of evidence that they were highly intelligent. Either way i don't think its a coincidence that the area with highest concentration of intermixed neanderthal dna is also where the most mpdern afvancements in society began. I wouldnt be the least bit suprised if they were to be accredited with any of our ancient mysterious monuments.

The Most advanced Bronze metallurgy, engineering techniques happened in China. The most advanced agriculture happened in North and South America. Neither of them stacked rocks except in South America which was far more advanced than the Middle East at stacking rocks. Nor did they have a lot of Neanderthal DNA compared to the Middle East or Europe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bearing in mind there are stories of exceptional lifespans in ancient times from a variety of sources, combined with a harsh ice age environment, I am open to the possibility that their rate of breeding was far lower than ours.

So not only didnt they go extinct, they fully integrated with homo sapiens producing a new hybrid species called Europeans. But because their rate of breeding was lower than homo sapiens then their DNA now only makes up 4% of modern day European genome.

That is except for the Scottish. There are way to many ginger people up there lol

You are right that recent studies attribute red hair and pale skin to neaderthal dna. Its not just the european population though, as piney said neanderthal is found everywhere but africa. Also many islanders more uniquely contain denisovan, and also we contain obvious traces of another mystery hominin. Europeans are not the only hybrids im pretty sure we all are, but it would go as follows that african truly is the most homo sapien.

I would agree with you though i think it is a likely hypothesis that they did reproduce slower, and that in turn might point toward higher intellect and also thier general demise.

• Like 1

You are right that recent studies attribute red hair and pale skin to neaderthal dna. Its not just the european population though, as piney said neanderthal is found everywhere but africa. Also many islanders more uniquely contain denisovan, and also we contain obvious traces of another mystery hominin. Europeans are not the only hybrids im pretty sure we all are, but it would go as follows that african truly is the most homo sapien.

There is a good chance Asians and American Indians carry Asian Homo-Erectus DNA. They were very skilled artistically. Some Sub-Saharan Africans also carry genes from another unknown hominid. 

They never determined where the genes came from that gives us shovel incisors and the subcutaneous layer of oily fat that gives us a yellow tinge which is not found anywhere else. I was always under the theory that it was Asian Homo-Erectus. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Piney said:

The Most advanced Bronze metallurgy, engineering techniques happened in China. The most advanced agriculture happened in North and South America. Neither of them stacked rocks except in South America which was far more advanced than the Middle East at stacking rocks. Nor did they have a lot of Neanderthal DNA compared to the Middle East or Europe.

You may be right but I was referring to the advancements in europe and also monuments such as in south america that have not been accredited to a particular civilization but hold myths of being built by giants. Im not convinced that these arent the hybrids mentioned in the bible as well. Hybrid vigor you know. That also includes longer lifespans. Until we have a complete picture or identify the other species that seems prevailant in our dna its hard to say though.

1 minute ago, Nnicolette said:

You may be right but I was referring to the advancements in europe and also monuments such as in south america that have not been accredited to a particular civilization but hold myths of being built by giants. Im not convinced that these arent the hybrids mentioned in the bible as well. Hybrid vigor you know. That also includes longer lifespans. Until we have a complete picture or identify the other species that seems prevailant in our dna its hard to say though.

I replied a idea while you were replying. The advancements in Europe were carried in. Farming was brought in from Anatolia. Metalwork by Eurasian Indo-European nomads from the Pontic-Caspian Steppe. All they did before that was set up rocks. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Piney said:

I replied a idea while you were replying. The advancements in Europe were carried in. Farming was brought in from Anatolia. Metalwork by Eurasian Indo-European nomads from the Pontic-Caspian Steppe. All they did before that was set up rocks. 

Possibly but im referring to overall advancement. Correct me if im wrong but it would be safe to say europe developed ahead of africa. Im including a few links for those that don't realize neanderthals were craftsmen https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/neanderthals-used-their-hands-precision-not-just-power-180970422/

And "stacked stones" almost 100,000 years before homo sapien even arrived. https://journalstar.com/ap/national/years-before-stonehenge-neanderthals-built-their-own-incredible-structure/article_bf444b78-5490-5380-a593-6d667cace8de.html  

I wouldn't discount the probability that we originally learned to craft tools from them, as neaderthals were physically more adapted to craftsmanship. If they were buildimg circular stone structures back then, would it be a stretch to think they could have built things such as Stonehenge? Maybe even gobekli tepe? Nazka? Its a heavy possibility. You have our predecessors who may have been stronger and better craftsmen than us, and then you have all these mysterious monument that seem difficult for us to have built so far back with our level of strength and precision and no traces of where some of the cultures went or why they built them. Also built in similar style to what neanderthals were doing a hundreds of thousands of years earlier. Its not hard to see there may be a connection.

Not with any engineering device. This is more artistic than engineering.

The Shenks Ferry Culture of Lancaster, P.A. had the most advanced Astronomical observations in North America. But they lived in bark houses and their sacred circles and alignments were just poles.

6 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

Possibly but im referring to overall advancement. Correct me if im wrong but it would be safe to say europe developed ahead of africa.

Do some Googling and check out some stone alignment dates in Africa. You might be surprised. :yes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nnicolette said:

I would agree with you though i think it is a likely hypothesis that they did reproduce slower, and that in turn might point toward higher intellect and also thier general demise.

I said it because to me a cold environment means a lack of food meaning delayed breeding. That is until things improve and then enough food becomes available to rear young. Neanderthals might be the source of longevity genes. For all we know they might have even hibernated when it got really cold.

With it being harder to find and catch food that might also produce higher IQ levels. But we know they didnt go extinct, we know that depending on the region of the world (outside Africa) it tends to be between 2% and 4% Neanderthal DNA. I bet there are pockets were it is a lot higher too such as 10%. I suggest places in Scotland where all the gingers all are lol.

I read one paper a few years claiming genes responsible for diabetes might come from them too. In modern humans those genes put us out of balance with our diets causing the disease. With them it was evolved because of their environment. Also there are genes from them that might be playing a role in modern humans when it comes to depression.

Mongoloid, Polynesian, Indian Sub-continent, and Europeans all look different from each other. Maybe there are other species in the mix for each too. With the Arabs they look half way between European and Indian Sub-Continent.

2 hours ago, Piney said:

Setting up rocks is exactly what im referring to.

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Not with any engineering device. This is more artistic than engineering.

The Shenks Ferry Culture of Lancaster, P.A. had the most advanced Astronomical observations in North America. But they lived in bark houses and their sacred circles and alignments were just poles.

Do some Googling and check out some stone alignment dates in Africa. You might be surprised. :yes:

I have. There was advanced astronomy in megalithic sites that predate homo sapiens presence. 

27 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

I have. There was advanced astronomy in megalithic sites that predate homo sapiens presence. 

I'd like a link for that please. :tu:

Mongoloid, Polynesian, Indian Sub-continent, and Europeans all look different from each other. Maybe there are other species in the mix for each too. With the Arabs they look half way between European and Indian Sub-Continent.

I already cited the possible mixes and the "weird genes" found in Asians and Native Americans. .

There was a migration back into North Africa by Anatolian Farmers.. Then back out. Which is where your Proto-Hamitic/ Semitic  Peoples came from (Arab Included).  Then there was a mixture of Roman, Turkish, Greek,Germanic and Slavic with Arabs because of invasion,war and slave raids. Then there was the Muslims leaving Al-Andalus, Spain who carried Celtic and Iberian genes back to the Middle East.  

It's more complicated than you think.