Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"El Chapo" could help fund US border wall

Eldorado

While Washington continues to debate funding over President Trump's long-promised border wall along the southern border, Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, says he has a solution for financing: Have convicted drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman foot the bill.

Cruz tweeted the proposal after Guzman was found guilty on all 10 counts in his criminal conspiracy and drug trafficking trial, saying that the $14 billion dollars in drug profits U.S. prosecutors are seeking from the infamous drug lord "should go towards funding our wall to secure the border."

Full report at CBS: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ted-cruz-wants-drug-kingpin-el-chapo-to-fund-trumps-border-wall/

At Fox: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ted-cruz-wants-el-chapo-and-drug-lords-to-pay-for-border-wall

At Sen. Cruz's webpage: https://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=4321

The proposed Bill (pdf): https://www.cruz.senate.gov/files/documents/Bills/20190103_elchapo2.pdf

Edited by Eldorado
add links
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

If it'll shut you Trumpers up over the stupid wall, then by all means. I've got no problem with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Also I'd just like to point out - El Chapo, the Mexican drug cartels, and North America's drug problem wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the stupid drug war. 

Legalize, tax, and regulate. Just sayin'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Edit: thought I was in a different thread lol

Edited by spartan max2
  • Haha 2

Just now, spartan max2 said:

Also want to point out that the war on drugs in no way excuses this man for all the blood on his hand.

That's absolutely true. There's no excuse.

Just at the same time, it's perfectly reasonable to point out that he wouldn't have as much blood on his hands if not for the drug war.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

That's absolutely true. There's no excuse.

Just at the same time, it's perfectly reasonable to point out that he wouldn't have as much blood on his hands if not for the drug war.

Nope, you know it's an illegal Enterprise when you start.

An honest person does not start doing an Enterprise that he knows will result in having to murder.

I understand what you are saying about the war on drugs overall, but you almost sound apologetic to this man's choices 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

Just now, spartan max2 said:

Nope, you know it's an illegal Enterprise when you start.

An honest person does not start doing an Enterprise that he knows will result in having to murder.

I know that. :huh: I'm not in any way excusing his behavior. I fully agree with you here.

However it is a simple fact that drugs being illegal is what has helped to increase the demand for his illegal black market drug trade. If they were legalized, taxed, and regulated, he wouldn't have been nearly as prominent and wouldn't have nearly as much blood on his hands.

That's all I'm saying man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

2 problems,  

1 his money legally belong to mexico, they will not agree to that just because trump,

2 good luck finding it,

They are planning to use the information from 'shorty' about how his money is laundered and moved between banks and countries to track and seize it. Happens all the time, just no where near this amount of money. It's not like the old days where the rats ate most of the drug lords hidden cash. It's all converted into legal sources at some point and finding that point is the key to seizing it back even if it means the destruction of a place like Acapulco's or Guerrero's entire economy.

It is not legally Mexico's. The money is laundered between banking systems in the U.S. and Europe using various means and his favorite is apparently trade based money laundering although it wouldn't matter anyway since America can technically do whatever it wants next to Russia and China perhaps.

• Like 1

Good.  He may live in Mexico and the money legally be theirs.  Lord knows his cartel murdered enough people in Mexico.

However, if we do get a part of it, best remember that those gains are from a lot of Americans buying his products.  If we can get the money, or even a third of it, the wall can start a building.  But I sure wouldn't lead a cheer about Mexico paying for it.  It will be dead and addicted Americans that the money comes from.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

It will be dead and addicted Americans that the money comes from.

So true.  Even worse, tortured and dead Mexicans who get in the way of the "business" whether intentionally or not.  It wouldn't surprise me for Shorty's cartel to start bombing border towns in TX if we grabbed all his cash.  Those cartels would be relatively formidable enemies in an urban setting.

• Like 3

How ironic would it be that a man who used planes, tunnels, and trucks through legal port of entry fund a border wall to stop drugs coming in from Mexico.  You think the cartels were hiking through the desert with tons of heroin and cocaine?  That was a rhetoric question, by the way.

• Like 3

I am so confused , trump said mexico will pay for wall they said nope, then trump said congress will fund wall or tax payers will and that failed now some drug lord is gonna pay for the wall?! What if he says no, i got it, Trump is rich why doesnt he pay for it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I am so confused , trump said mexico will pay for wall they said nope, then trump said congress will fund wall or tax payers will and that failed now some drug lord is gonna pay for the wall?! What if he says no, i got it, Trump is rich why doesnt he pay for it?

The hypocrisy is absurd, republicans are always crying about dems handing out hand outs. But continue to seek someone else to pay for their wall. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, AstralHorus said:

The hypocrisy is absurd, republicans are always crying about dems handing out hand outs. But continue to seek someone else to pay for their wall. 

Well see, the difference is that what we want actually helps people whereas a wall is useless. Useless walls and tax breaks for billionaires, now those are some handouts they can get behind! :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Aquila King said:

I know that. :huh: I'm not in any way excusing his behavior. I fully agree with you here.

However it is a simple fact that drugs being illegal is what has helped to increase the demand for his illegal black market drug trade. If they were legalized, taxed, and regulated, he wouldn't have been nearly as prominent and wouldn't have nearly as much blood on his hands.

That's all I'm saying man.

The man ran a black market smuggling heroin, cocaine, meth and fentanyl. You want to legal this? Just want to make sure I got this right.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

The man ran a black market smuggling heroin, cocaine, meth and fentanyl. You want to legal this? Just want to make sure I got this right.

Legalize, tax, and regulate. And by regulate, that includes mandatory programs to help ween people off of the more dangerous substances like you just described.

Addiction is a disease, not a crime. Locking people up for drug dependency doesn't solve the actual problem.

• Like 4

Addiction is the result of a choice you make. These dangerous substances have been known for what they are for a long time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Agent0range said:

How ironic would it be that a man who used planes, tunnels, and trucks through legal port of entry fund a border wall to stop drugs coming in from Mexico. 

That is nothing if not ironic.  I imagine how it went in court:

"You mean you didn't carry the drugs through the desert in backpacks? " 

"No senor, that is a small time strategy for losers.  We use trucks, planes, and tunnels.  We got volume to move gringo."

"That settles it.  We got to get that wall build across the desert."

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, susieice said:

Addiction is the result of a choice you make. These dangerous substances have been known for what they are for a long time.

So is obesity. Is it your contention that we should lock up fat people because it's "the result of a choice you make?"

Edited by Aquila King
Typos.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, susieice said:

True enough susieice.  Would that everyone was wise, or that it took a little longer to get addicted, or that our medical profession was not so keen on giving drugs to keep people from complaining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

So is obesity. Is it your contention that we should lock up fat people because it's "the result of a choice you make?"

Stop yourself.

• Confused 1

Just now, susieice said:

Stop yourself.

Could you clarify? :huh:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

True enough susieice.  Would that everyone was wise, or that it took a little longer to get addicted, or that our medical profession was not so keen on giving drugs to keep people from complaining.

A lot of doctors were responsible for addicting patients to pain pills and other narcotics. They are just as dangerous and very hard to go through withdrawl. 

Edit to add: Sadly a lot of these people didn't see themselves as addicts. They were taking something that was being given to them by a doctor and weren't taking street drugs. They thought they were safe. Some, however, went to doctors purposefully looking for them. Doctor shopping.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, susieice said:

A lot of doctors were responsible for addicting patients to pain pills and other narcotics. They are just as dangerous and very hard to go through withdrawl. 

Yeah, in fact I think a lot of the current opiod addicts are on one or another prescription substances.  My mom told me once that she saw her dentist in the pharmacy receiving a prescription under another name.  She was 85 at the time and I thought she must have been mistaken by a look alike.  With everything going on now, I think she was probably right.