Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Quality Video of Ghost Cat

papageorge1

Is there anyone here who can reproduce something similar, because I can't imagine how a film could be made of a transparent cat walking across a room with no shadow or reflection.

Could someone talk us through, step by step, how it could be done?

Edited by ouija ouija

43 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Is there anyone here who can reproduce something similar, because I can't imagine how a film could be made of a transparent cat walking across a room with no shadow or reflection.

All you need are 2 vids and a video editing software. With such tool its not that difficult to a.) manipulate the transparency of an object and b., to merge vids.

• Thanks 1

Definitely a fake news site. One story is about dog fighting and kids. Supposedly taking place in Bristol, Va...I live in Bristol, Va. 

Well the internet is sure a complicated place as I was already aware. And I also know ads are selected to be a good fit to story content. And I consider hoaxing too and give that a significant possibility. As I said earlier:

Papameter read-out...….Paranormal 66%...….Faked/Lie 32%...….Other 2%

2 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

Definitely a fake news site. One story is about dog fighting and kids. Supposedly taking place in Bristol, Va...I live in Bristol, Va. 

Thats an interesting point because when I saw the article I was wondering that the event allegedly took place in Hamburg/Hamburg, where I live. I assumed the HP is linking articles to the location of the viewer and it seems I was right.

nIJcgiM.png

6 minutes ago, toast said:

Thats an interesting point because when I saw the article I was wondering that the event allegedly took place in Hamburg/Hamburg, where I live. I assumed the HP is linking articles to the location of the viewer and it seems I was right.

nIJcgiM.png

This guy gets around I guess. I clicked on the article and he is now in my city too. This is certainly a black-eye for the website.

This doesn't mean the cat video was faked but I am updating the Papameter with this new information:

Papameter read-out...….Paranormal 48%...….Faked/Lie 48%...….Other 2%

@SecretSanta   @toast

LOL.....That pit bull story gets even funnier the more I look at it. The pit bull guy (Ronnie Dupree) has the same name as the cat video guy (Ronald Dupree). Still if someone sent them a real ghost video they would use it in a heartbeat too.

Papameter update:    Paranormal 10%...…..Faked/Lie 90%

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Actually, there are lots of reflections, in the tv and fireplace top,

I guess this one is hoax,

But no, it wasnt easy to make, have you seen anyone whip one up and post it in this thread? Nope

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

@SecretSanta   @toast

LOL.....That pit bull story gets even funnier the more I look at it. The pit bull guy (Ronnie Dupree) has the same name as the cat video guy (Ronald Dupree). Still if someone sent them a real ghost video they would use it in a heartbeat too.

Well, that de-escalated quickly! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

@SecretSanta   @toast

I thought the name looked familiar. 

Theres no contact information on the website, not sure how they’d send a video to them.  It’s just a complete fabrication in my mind.

9 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Have you ever seen a movie?

CGI has come a long, long way in the last 50 years.

Hell, Jurassic Park is 25 years ago!

hjq28wcszx0z.gif

You honestly "can't imagine" how someone could create such a rudimentary, 10 second video of a ghost cat?

https://www.picmonkey.com/blog/how-to-make-a-double-exposure

• Like 1

Are you saying a multi million dollar studio created ghost cat video, as i dont see the hobbyists here posting ones they made.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, toast said:

All you need are 2 vids and a video editing software. With such tool its not that difficult to a.) manipulate the transparency of an object and b., to merge vids.

Indeed.  I'm not a video editing enthusiast (I'll happily edit still images where it would help!), but the process is relatively simple.

You get your original video, and another video of a (preferably 'green screen') cat, like this:

(there are many sources for this sort of animation - CGI is a large industry.

You'll need video editing software like After Effects (there are lots of cheap alternatives).   If you were using that footage, you'd have to do a quick color fill with black (easy).

Then you tell your video editor the path you want the animation to take (ie line it up where you want the cat to appear). (fairly easy)

Then you select the areas eg the table and the couch, that you want to exclude from the addition. (fairly easy but may involve some careful drawing of the selection areas)

Then you make the addition transparent to whatever degree looks 'right', and give it fuzzy edges. (easy, although getting it just right may involve going back and adjusting previous steps - note that the lower the quality of the final video, the easier it all is..)

Then you save your creation and give it to a fake news site, and presto..

Note that it would take a while, and why the heck would anyone bother recreating it?  There are literally thousands of Youtube CGI creations online that you can examine, many by rank amateurs, that are way better than that.  As CGI goes, that one is not a high-level project.  If anyone wants to pay me for my time, I'd have a go.  If not, then don't complain about it not being duplicated.  (see what i did there..)

BTW, yes, that site does interrogate your IP address and then uses your location to change the stories.  Be aware that such sites may also use other techniques and malware.  I'd suggest you do NOT click on that link unless your computer is well-protected.  Papa, you've possibly been hacked...  I've reported my suspicions to the mods, so they may add a warning or remove the link.  Sorry papa...

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Have you ever seen a movie?

CGI has come a long, long way in the last 50 years.

Hell, Jurassic Park is 25 years ago!

hjq28wcszx0z.gif

You honestly "can't imagine" how someone could create such a rudimentary, 10 second video of a ghost cat?

https://www.picmonkey.com/blog/how-to-make-a-double-exposure

I'll limit myself to saying this: the ghost cat video is a lot more believable than that Jurassic Park clip ...... the shadows(or lack of them), are all over the place!

edit to add: has anyone else read the comments below the cat video? :lol:

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 1

I've removed the original link because, as others have mentioned, it was a fake news site masquerading as ABC News.

papageorge - do you have an alternative link to this story/video on a legitimate site ?

Edit :

This is a fake video.

It illustrates how easy this effect is to fake.

Edited by onlookerofmayhem
Clarify fake.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I guess that anyone could make fairly beleiveable fake ghost videos on their computer with the right programs and knowledge using CGI. What first struck me in this cat ghost video was the way it was done, it has that plastic artficial home made CGI look and feel to it. The CGI tecnique is getting quite advanced it wont be long before we cant spot the difference.

Edited by Impedancer

1 hour ago, Saru said:

I've removed the original link because, as others have mentioned, it was a fake news site masquerading as ABC News.

papageorge - do you have an alternative link to this story/video on a legitimate site ?

I actually first saw this on reddit and know nothing more about it.

But I have a question. I do not understand the use of the term 'fake news' like it's a black or white thing. I mean I'll bet an ultra-liberal and an ultra-conservative might easily call one of the others go-to websites 'fake news'. How is it officially determined that a website is 'fake news'? I've heard Fox News called  fake news by ultra-liberals. Is it?

And how do we UM users know if a website is black or white?

I am not in my questions trying to defend the website in this thread, but I am asking a more general question.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I actually first saw this on reddit and know nothing more about it.

But I have a question. I do not understand the use of the term 'fake news' like it's a black or white thing. I mean I'll bet an ultra-liberal and an ultra-conservative might easily call one of the others go-to websites 'fake news'. How is it officially determined that a website is 'fake news'? I've heard Fox News called  fake news by ultra-liberals. Is it?

And how do we UM users know if a website is black or white?

I am not in my questions trying to defend the website in this thread, but I am asking a more general question.

In this case, it is almost blindingly obvious - go check the front page, and you'll notice that quite apart from the absolutely ridiculous 'headlines', you'll see that at least one of the stories will have come from your own town/region - there were examples given above.  They are harvesting your IP location...  On one of those stories, it apparently happened right near me here in Australia, and yet it stupidly named a 'deputy sheriff'...... we DON"T HAVE sheriff's or deputies here... 

There is also no 'About' or 'Contact' page, which is a big red flag.

As for checking fake news generally, is it really that difficult?  Just do some basic fact-checking yourself, and go to the sources of the data / statistics and verify it.  Look at the website URL, does it look genuine?  In this case the website was abcnews.online, which didn't match the title, and also means it is a very recent invention - that URL ending that has only just been made available.  I could also not find any link that mentioned this website - it is not an official abc - related site and once they find out about it, I suspect it will be taken down quickly.

As a backup or if you are too lazy, then may I suggest you just visit snopes.com to check whether stories are true.  Some folks have accused snopes of being fake too, but no-one has yet been able to give an actual example, afaik.  I think it's a very valuable resource.

3 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

In this case, it is almost blindingly obvious - go check the front page, and you'll notice that quite apart from the absolutely ridiculous 'headlines', you'll see that at least one of the stories will have come from your own town/region - there were examples given above.  They are harvesting your IP location...  On one of those stories, it apparently happened right near me here in Australia, and yet it stupidly named a 'deputy sheriff'...... we DON"T HAVE sheriff's or deputies here... 

There is also no 'About' or 'Contact' page, which is a big red flag.

As for checking fake news generally, is it really that difficult?  Just do some basic fact-checking yourself, and go to the sources of the data / statistics and verify it.  Look at the website URL, does it look genuine?  In this case the website was abcnews.online, which didn't match the title, and also means it is a very recent invention - that URL ending that has only just been made available.  I could also not find any link that mentioned this website - it is not an official abc - related site and once they find out about it, I suspect it will be taken down quickly.

As a backup or if you are too lazy, then may I suggest you just visit snopes.com to check whether stories are true.  Some folks have accused snopes of being fake too, but no-one has yet been able to give an actual example, afaik.  I think it's a very valuable resource.

I think you are actually confirming  my point that the label 'fake news' can be quite controversial some times. That was my point. The obvious labeling tendency will be to use the term 'fake news' towards political/paranormal positions one doesn't like.

45 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I think you are actually confirming  my point that the label 'fake news' can be quite controversial some times. That was my point. The obvious labeling tendency will be to use the term 'fake news' towards political/paranormal positions one doesn't like.

But by relatively simple checking processes, you can find out.  But many don't want their notions challenged or disputed, and would rather read lies.. - which ironically, is how a certain world leader got where he is...  But I digress - I guess that's fine, as long as they don't try to take me with them on the journey to hell..

In any case :D , each case should be discussed on its merits.  This is your thread so let's get back ontopic.

Have you checked over the website more thoroughly now?

Would you agree that it is not a real ABC media site?

Did you notice the lack of an About or Contacts page, and the fact that some of the stories are obvious fabrications, and even got tailored to your location?

Have you found any *real* media site with that video?  Any other site at all?  Any contact details?  Anywhere that the video's author is discussing the content?

• Thanks 1

Mayhem posted a video, im sold in this case the op video was a hoax or at least created for fun,  if course a fake website was another nail, like patterson being a lifelong con man.

28 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

But by relatively simple checking processes, you can find out.  But many don't want their notions challenged or disputed, and would rather read lies.. - which ironically, is how a certain world leader got where he is...  But I digress - I guess that's fine, as long as they don't try to take me with them on the journey to hell..

In any case :D , each case should be discussed on its merits.  This is your thread so let's get back ontopic.

Have you checked over the website more thoroughly now?

Would you agree that it is not a real ABC media site?

Did you notice the lack of an About or Contacts page, and the fact that some of the stories are obvious fabrications, and even got tailored to your location?

Have you found any *real* media site with that video?  Any other site at all?  Any contact details?  Anywhere that the video's author is discussing the content?

After seeing the pit bull article I have already stated that I lost all respect for the website that I started this thread with. I will try to be more discerning in the future. 

But I still maintain the labeling of websites as 'fake news' is often a subjective process with people disagreeing. I agree that we have to take each of these on a case-by-case basis.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

After seeing the pit bull article I have already stated that I lost all respect for the website that I started this thread with. I will try to be more discerning in the future. 

But I still maintain the labeling of websites as 'fake news' is often a subjective process with people disagreeing. I agree that we have to take each of these on a case-by-case basis.

Just because this time it didnt plan out i will still keep an open mind.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Just because this time it didnt plan out i will still keep an open mind.

Nothing hinges on any one video. Each is judged on a case-by-case basis.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked