Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK teens expect to earn £70k when older

Eldorado

Researchers have conducted a survey on behalf of a financial services company has found there’s an admirable dose of teenage optimism when it comes to future earnings.

After talking to over 2,000 teens aged 13-19 they found that, on average, these youngsters expect to earn about £70,000 a year by the time they hit 30.

Full report: https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/14/teens-expect-earn-70000-year-time-30-8617296/?

Original report:: https://www.onefamily.com/our-story/media-centre/2019/great-expectations-teenagers-expect-earn-70k-age-30/

"..a quarter (25%) think it is important to do something that they are good at."

:(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Whoa! That's some high expectations, I think. Though I think I thought that way too when I was like 13, 14, 15...

• Like 3

Good Luck with that, kids! :lol:

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Whoa! That's some high expectations, I think. Though I think I thought that way too when I was like 13, 14, 15...

Did you also think that being good at what you do for a living wasn't really important?  No offence meant; I'm sure you didn't.

I fear for the future, if that attitude is common worldwide.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Good Luck with that, kids! :lol:

And if they don't, IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!!!  And it's all someone else's fault ......

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Did you also think that being good at what you do for a living wasn't really important?  No offence meant; I'm sure you didn't.

I'm just wondering, El, if that 25% are being realistic in that they don't expect to be doing something they love doing, that they know they'll just have to take what's available? Perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I'm just wondering, El, if that 25% are being realistic in that they don't expect to be doing something they love doing, that they know they'll just have to take what's available? Perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

Maybe we're just reading things differently.

When I look around me I see narcissistic pretentious people everywhere, apparently raised to not give a damn about how they earn their corn, but accept that vision may just be all in my own head.

(I had to get an electrician pal to fix my kitchen extractor after my landlord's electrician failed three times; took my pal 5mins... while smoking a cigar.  Three times I had to wait in for that pretend electrician to appear.  Grrr.)

• Sad 1

So what you're saying is... make them all accountants? 

They get the money they're after and their clients will love the imaginative maths. Win win. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Eldorado said:

I know that when I was 15 I thought I was really, really smart. I thought I'd be famous and rich.... then post college.... reality clicks in.

I imagine UK teens are the same. Think they are really smart and going to own the world.

I know also that when I did start working a summer jobs, that I thought I was a super good employee, and I see the same in the young people we have hired in my group recently. They'll spend 3 hrs on their phone and 3 hrs working, and claim they are being worked to death. 

On 15/02/2019 at 6:54 AM, DieChecker said:

I know that when I was 15 I thought I was really, really smart. I thought I'd be famous and rich.... then post college.... reality clicks in.

For you maybe :whistle:

JK

On 2/15/2019 at 1:54 AM, DieChecker said:

I imagine UK teens are the same. Think they are really smart and going to own the world.

We all thought we knew how to make the world a better place and knew everything. :lol:

• Like 1

On 15/02/2019 at 10:07 AM, Black Red Devil said:

But the real question is, what's £70,000 worth, post no deal Brexit, in a few years? :devil:

Enough to buy not only a loaf of bread, but also a shoe.

• Like 2