Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Night owls' struggle more than 'morning larks'

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to 'Night owls' struggle more than 'morning larks'

I read (I think at IFLScience.com) that we may have evolved to have differing sleep patterns so that someone is always up and alert at any time to keep watch. Life was dangerous 24/7 for most of humanity's history, after all.
That said, I find the 9-5 schedule forced upon us to be unnatural. Thankfully, there are SOME jobs for night people. I usually work noon-8 for example. Sadly, though most career-path jobs stick to that 9-5 schedule that many do not like.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Seti42 said:

I read (I think at IFLScience.com) that we may have evolved to have differing sleep patterns so that someone is always up and alert at any time to keep watch. Life was dangerous 24/7 for most of humanity's history, after all.
That said, I find the 9-5 schedule forced upon us to be unnatural. Thankfully, there are SOME jobs for night people. I usually work noon-8 for example. Sadly, though most career-path jobs stick to that 9-5 schedule that many do not like.

9 - 5 would be a dream come true.. Here in sweden its 7-16

I hate morning larks. Welcome to my side. The dark side. I can't stand daylight. The night is so much better.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Morning people do seem to be the healthiest. 

Ive always called this my body clock and in my opinion is completely adaptable to ones situation. Meaning its ones choice to be a night owl or a early bird. So again in my opinion this study is bogus because its obvious that if someone stayed up all night and tried to go to work at 9 am they wouldnt function aswell as someone with a full nights sleep. Its called sleep deprivation.  Its science but its not rocket science. No study needed...

Edited by InconceivableThoughts

I can't understand people lazing in bed when it's daylight :D    

I.M.O. this thread is rubbish,  I worked shifts for 36 years , 6 weeks on nights, 2 weeks on days ,and 2 weeks on evenings . I have been retired for 21 years and don't have any sleep patterns , when I tire I go to bed and manage at least 6 hours sleep then get up and do all the chores including shopping without any ill effects. Todays people have it easy as we worked a 48 hour week , not a 9 to 5, 40 hour week. And when I was at sea we worked a 9 hour day 7 days a week and enjoyed every minute of it.

Edited by spud the mackem