Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mexico border wall: Trump defends emergency

Unusual Tournament

Mexico border wall: Trump defends emergency move

President Trump has confirmed he will use emergency powers to build a wall on the US border with Mexico, saying "walls work".

Building the wall was a key pledge of Mr Trump's campaign, but Democrats have described the move as a "gross abuse of power".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47258754

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Mr. Trump's claim of an emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border is unconvincing, especially since he remarked shortly thereafter that he didn't have to declare an emergency. If it wasn't necessary, how can it be an emergency?

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, bison said:

Mr. Trump's claim of an emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border is unconvincing, especially since he remarked shortly thereafter that he didn't have to declare an emergency. If it wasn't necessary, how can it be an emergency?

It gives him, as far as I can make out, unlimited powers to do whatever he likes and he can claim as much money as he likes. Which sounds a very good reason to declare a :o (Emergency)  to me. :yes: 

• Haha 1

Well he'd better fire up that little media wizard ? mmmm Conway something |||| Or who's that other juggernaut ? with all the books that gets his ear here and there, a Texas TALL like blonde Lawyer guru...? I forget oh well, had time, thought to post a note in the off chance some mighty horn blowing , glaringly Loud! ginger ever reads or checks out forums.  Alrighty that's about it my two bits/bytes of fame.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Yes, they're calling it a constitutional crisis, an unwarrantable breaching of the co-equal powers of the executive and the legislature. The latter has the 'power of the purse' except in carefully limited circumstances of a real emergency.

Edited by bison
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

It gives him, as far as I can make out, unlimited powers to do whatever he likes and he can claim as much money as he likes. Which sounds a very good reason to declare a :o (Emergency)  to me. :yes: 

also sets a dangerous precedent for any future president to do the same. by passing U.S. law makers. i think the republicans are not going to like what Trump is planning on doing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

The House will challenge the emergency declaration. This will automatically require the Senate to hold a vote on it, too. The Republican majority there will either have to 'own' this declaration, or defy Mr. Trump. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bison said:

The House will challenge the emergency declaration. This will automatically require the Senate to hold a vote on it, too. The Republican majority there will either have to 'own' this declaration, or defy Mr. Trump. 

They can vote to go on the record that they disagree with his action but they do not have veto power.

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

also sets a dangerous precedent for any future president to do the same. by passing U.S. law makers. i think the republicans are not going to like what Trump is planning on doing. 

Them's the breaks...  They should have tried harder to help him get funding while they controlled the House.  Nutty Nancy has already thrown the idea out there that the Dems might just declare a national emergency over gun control.  Wouldn't be prudent ;) 

• Like 3

A former top Drug Enforcement Administration official who helped hunt down Mexican drug kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman said President Donald Trump’s border wall wouldn’t do much to stop the flow of deadly substances into the country.

With most major drug loads coming through ports of entry rather than isolated parts of the border, former DEA Deputy Administrator Jack Riley said the government should be focusing on better manpower and screening at official channels.

Could be true, could be just a plug for a new book he is writing.  I don't know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, and then said:

Them's the breaks...  They should have tried harder to help him get funding while they controlled the House.  Nutty Nancy has already thrown the idea out there that the Dems might just declare a national emergency over gun control.  Wouldn't be prudent ;) 

well now you're just assuming that the democrat's and republicans hostile to the idea of Trump riding rough shot over the law have no options or are resigned to defeat. 

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Like 1

It will be challenged in courts - wall won't be built any time soon - but trump can tell his followers he did everything possible, except get a republican congress to give him the money off course. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nutty Nancy has already thrown the idea out there that the Dems might just declare a national emergency over gun control.  Wouldn't be prudent ;) 

Gun control, maybe not.  Reducing school and other public shootings through better early warnings and identification of troubled people that intervention might help before they start shooting, maybe.   My guess would be a climate change  emergency intervention, but I am no pundit.

• Like 5

If this DEA guy Riley is really in the know, then the border wall will not stop the drug flow, it is just a boondoggle.  Better spend the money, not in a fuzzy "War on Drugs" , but a focused War on Cartels with the goal of ending them.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

If this DEA guy Riley is really in the know, then the border wall will not stop the drug flow, it is just a boondoggle.  Better spend the money, not in a fuzzy "War on Drugs" , but a focused War on Cartels with the goal of ending them.

A wall obviously won't stop drug traffic. The vast vast majority of drugs come through legal checkpoints. The walls only intention has ever been to stop non whites from entering the country.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

can't imagine the Mexican government prepared to openly allow cross border raids and drone attacks but that would get a better result than a wall, imo.

• Like 2

I absolutely disagree with this.

This is not what the power of declaring emergencies was meant for.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I quote acute "So..... What is the emergency exactly?" the next emergency magic MONEY will be for automated 50cal turrets and fully loaded FLIR(night vision 'yesyesforgrammartechgeeks forward looking infra red') drones so good ole boys and little brothers can fill their pockets/bank-accounts and have fun too !

Come on give me the love hey did you know its still in the air eh?!?!!!... the Valentine spirit seasonal atmosphere/mood.

HEARTS SILLY >>>> they go right there > click click, click click,

*crickets*

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

Extension ladder sales in Mexico will go up, also rappelling equipment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

well now you're just assuming that the democrat's and republicans hostile to the idea of Trump riding rough shot over the law have no options or are resigned to defeat. 

His actions are within the scope of a law that the CONGRESS PASSED.  Of course, I'm not saying they won't do everything, legal or illegal, they can do to stop him.  Haven't you noticed?  It's WHAT THEY DO.  In fact, it's all they do.  We've seen the movie before.  Some Ninth Circus judge will issue an immediate injunction and it will stop him in his tracks for several months.  It will make its way to the Supreme Court and they'll HAVE to hear it because they aren't going to let some low-level Federal judge create a precedent that will hamstring a future president whose name isn't Trump.  Who knows how they'll rule but so far, he has won every one of these actions.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Extension ladder sales in Mexico will go up, also rappelling equipment.

When enough of them flood in that Americans are having trouble finding work or see them receiving benefits that they didn't work for, benefits many Americans are refused, they just might find themselves to be pretty unpopular.  

• Like 3

His actions are within the scope of a law that the CONGRESS PASSED.  Of course, I'm not saying they won't do everything, legal or illegal, they can do to stop him.  Haven't you noticed?  It's WHAT THEY DO.  In fact, it's all they do.  We've seen the movie before.  Some Ninth Circus judge will issue an immediate injunction and it will stop him in his tracks for several months.  It will make its way to the Supreme Court and they'll HAVE to hear it because they aren't going to let some low-level Federal judge create a precedent that will hamstring a future president whose name isn't Trump.  Who knows how they'll rule but so far, he has won every one of these actions.

i highly don't that the founding fathers or those that wrote the laws over many generations would leave a provision in it for someone to break the very spirit of the democracy they are mean't to uphold. this is a unilateral action. its dictatorial in nature. it says i won't compromise and i will not negotiate within the parameters of my office. o i will bend the laws and misinterpret to get what i want. in essence if he wins his wall then why does America need a House of Rep's and Senate? 

• Like 2

during Roman times a dictator was a consul that had power to by pass the senate in decisions effecting the empire.