Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mexico border wall: Trump defends emergency

Unusual Tournament

2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

You know, you are the third person I've seen this past week on this forum that has been conditioned to reject all news sources they disagree with.

Feeling outnumbered?  Better get used to it...

Edited by hacktorp
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

Feeling outnumbered?  Better get used to it...

Historically, the ignorant have always out numbered the open minded.  So I'm used to that. 

It just saddens me that people will reject basic and easily provable things like 2+2=4 if it comes from a source they dislike. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Historically, the ignorant have always out numbered the open minded.

“By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.” 
 Richard Dawkins

^^This nicely sums up the condition suffered by the stumbling Left today.

(In other words, one's mind can get so open, they become the ignorant)

Edited by hacktorp
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

Did you not know the US is a constitutional republic?  Ignorance of this fact is rampant these days.

Once again thanks for clarification.  What I should have said was, "What a wonderful wind up for a constitutional republic, a government so dysfunctional that they are playing tricks on each other."   There now its all better.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Once again thanks for clarification.  What I should have said was, "What a wonderful wind up for a constitutional republic, a government so dysfunctional that they are playing tricks on each other."   There now its all better.

I certainly agree the dysfunction is a sad state of affairs.

In my view, the current situation is the result of decades of repression and deceit by successive administrations (as well as a lot of other, external causes).

But politics and governance have always been messy in this country.  We are way overdue for a reckoning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gromdor said:

You know, you are the third person I've seen this past week on this forum that has been conditioned to reject all news sources they disagree with.  All three of you have been Trump supporters as well.  I'm beginning to think that TDS is a real thing at this point. 

Evidence points to this Gromdor. It is a sad side effect of our media rich society that some individuals choose an unhealthy diet rich in conspiracy theories and sugar coated comfortable opinions and low on fact.  It is called Truth Derangement Syndrome. Know the warning signs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/26/2019 at 9:26 AM, Tatetopa said:

Evidence points to this Gromdor. It is a sad side effect of our media rich society that some individuals choose an unhealthy diet rich in conspiracy theories and sugar coated comfortable opinions and low on fact.  It is called Truth Derangement Syndrome. Know the warning signs.

Seems to affect people across the entire political spectrum.

• Thanks 1

Looks like some Republicans in the Senate are set to vote against the wall emergency. But, like pundits said, Trump will just Veto it and require a larger majority to pass it, which isn't going to happen. So, that leaves it to the courts I guess.

On 2/26/2019 at 11:34 AM, Gromdor said:

Historically, the ignorant have always out numbered the open minded.  So I'm used to that. 

It just saddens me that people will reject basic and easily provable things like 2+2=4 if it comes from a source they dislike. 

I can’t speak for anyone else, but once a source has proven beyond a doubt that they are liars, that they are more then willing to say and do whatever they have to to keep a narrative alive, then that’s a source I will never again trust. 

Seems to me that should just be common sense. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I can’t speak for anyone else, but once a source has proven beyond a doubt that they are liars, that they are more then willing to say and do whatever they have to to keep a narrative alive, then that’s a source I will never again trust. 

Seems to me that should just be common sense. 

There is a difference between distrust and dismissal.  If you have to deal with a known liar, you listen to what they say and you verify for yourself it's truth or not.   I've seen blatant liars get their kicks by telling someone a truth that if ignored would hurt that person just to see if they were dumb enough to hurt themselves. 

33 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

There is a difference between distrust and dismissal.  If you have to deal with a known liar, you listen to what they say and you verify for yourself it's truth or not.   I've seen blatant liars get their kicks by telling someone a truth that if ignored would hurt that person just to see if they were dumb enough to hurt themselves. 

That’s the thing though, these are known liars I don’t have to deal with at all. It’s literally as simple as changing the channel, or going to different websites. 

You are never going to convince me that listening to any main stream media is a good idea. I turned them off back in 06, and have managed to survive just fine since then. 

• Thanks 1

Since Google News is so slanted toward the Left, I usually read a lot of CNN and MSNBC articles and then go see what else might be out there on the subject. Usually if you find a BBC article on the subject it will be pretty neutral, as the Brits don't care if they are winging the US Left or US Right right now. Usually I'll check Fox News also, just to see what their spin is on it. Usually the truth is somewhere in the middle, and usually, given sources from the left and right, you can find out most of what is to be found. Sure, you might read only CNN and say that they post 100% true stuff, but that doesn't say what they are leaving out. Same with Fox, they always leave stuff out because it would hurt the opinion they are trying to project.

Not reading any main stream sources (and assuming reading fringe/secondary sources) seems just... asking to be manipulated. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i love reading liberal msm i know whatever they report is actually the other way around. do not need to fact check, they constantly lie, it is proven over and over again.  "i love listening to lies knowing the truth"

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 2:41 PM, DieChecker said:

Looks like some Republicans in the Senate are set to vote against the wall emergency. But, like pundits said, Trump will just Veto it and require a larger majority to pass it, which isn't going to happen. So, that leaves it to the courts I guess.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/432129-gop-bristles-over-plan-to-shift-military-funding-to-border-wall

GOP bristles over plan to shift military funding to border wall

You know what? This "Emergency" goes either way, and I think it is a win.

- Trump gets the money and builds the "Wall". adding to the security of the nation.

- Trump gets denied, and Emergency Act gets an additional "Check" which will prevent some crazed left wing President from doing something equally crazy down the road.

Like I said about Harry Reid and the "Nuclear Option" years and years ago. Democrats should think about what they are wanting to do, and the long term consequences. If there is some project that the left wants to fund, they might want to just let Trump have this wall for a handful of Billion dollars, because it might allow them to spend Trillions of dollars down the road.

• Thanks 1

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/trump-restricted-flow-border-more-migrants-trying-sneak-through-undetected-n976356

In recent months, CBP has restricted the number of immigrants who can be processed for asylum at ports of entry and has begun turning back asylum seekers, who must now wait in Mexico while their cases are decided.

CBP data shows that at the same time, the proportion of immigrants caught crossing illegally rather than through legal ports of entry has been rising.

It climbed from 73 percent of border crossings between October 2017 and January to 2018 to 83 percent for the same period ending this January 31. The percentage reporting to legal ports of entry, meanwhile, dropped from 27 percent to 17 percent, even as the overall number of border crossings rose sharply, according to the data.

"Emergency" is getting worse??

10 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Seems like it is a created emergency.  If you plug the water channel, it will back up and overflow. 

Created by Trump, or by decades of neglected border deals?

A pipe overflowing in your house is sk(

Still an emergency, regardless of how it got started.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Created by Trump, or by decades of neglected border deals

No one seems to be working on actual immigration reform.  All attention is on just the wall aspect.

The current plug at the ports of entry is because of Trump.  He doesn't really think those people are going to wait in a camp in Mexico for years with the Cartels right there does he?  Especially with the finish line right there in sight.  They are going to take their kids and dart across to the border patrol and start their asylum process right away. 

1 minute ago, Gromdor said:

No one seems to be working on actual immigration reform.  All attention is on just the wall aspect.

The current plug at the ports of entry is because of Trump.  He doesn't really think those people are going to wait in a camp in Mexico for years with the Cartels right there does he?  Especially with the finish line right there in sight.  They are going to take their kids and dart across to the border patrol and start their asylum process right away. 

They will cross illegally if they have to. But it just plays into his (Trump's) hands.

1 minute ago, DieChecker said:

They will cross illegally if they have to. But it just plays into his (Trump's) hands.

I agree with you there.  He is creating a situation to match his narrative. 

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:07 PM, Imaginarynumber1 said:

A wall obviously won't stop drug traffic. The vast vast majority of drugs come through legal checkpoints. The walls only intention has ever been to stop non whites from entering the country.

Do American "whites" class Mexicans as non white , how racist is that.

3 hours ago, DieChecker said:

How do they know how many illegals get through ,if they aren't caught .

17 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

How do they know how many illegals get through ,if they aren't caught .

I've asked that before. I'm told that the Border Patrol "knows" how many get across and how many are caught. 

Estimates vary.