Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Captain Risky

Mexico border wall: Trump defends emergency

694 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Captain Risky

Mexico border wall: Trump defends emergency move

President Trump has confirmed he will use emergency powers to build a wall on the US border with Mexico, saying "walls work".

Building the wall was a key pledge of Mr Trump's campaign, but Democrats have described the move as a "gross abuse of power".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47258754

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bison

Mr. Trump's claim of an emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border is unconvincing, especially since he remarked shortly thereafter that he didn't have to declare an emergency. If it wasn't necessary, how can it be an emergency?

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dumbledore the Awesome
11 minutes ago, bison said:

Mr. Trump's claim of an emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border is unconvincing, especially since he remarked shortly thereafter that he didn't have to declare an emergency. If it wasn't necessary, how can it be an emergency?

It gives him, as far as I can make out, unlimited powers to do whatever he likes and he can claim as much money as he likes. Which sounds a very good reason to declare a :o (Emergency)  to me. :yes: 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MWoo7

Well he'd better fire up that little media wizard ? mmmm Conway something |||| Or who's that other juggernaut ? with all the books that gets his ear here and there, a Texas TALL like blonde Lawyer guru...? I forget oh well, had time, thought to post a note in the off chance some mighty horn blowing , glaringly Loud! ginger ever reads or checks out forums.  Alrighty that's about it my two bits/bytes of fame.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bison

Yes, they're calling it a constitutional crisis, an unwarrantable breaching of the co-equal powers of the executive and the legislature. The latter has the 'power of the purse' except in carefully limited circumstances of a real emergency.

Edited by bison
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
7 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

It gives him, as far as I can make out, unlimited powers to do whatever he likes and he can claim as much money as he likes. Which sounds a very good reason to declare a :o (Emergency)  to me. :yes: 

also sets a dangerous precedent for any future president to do the same. by passing U.S. law makers. i think the republicans are not going to like what Trump is planning on doing. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bison

The House will challenge the emergency declaration. This will automatically require the Senate to hold a vote on it, too. The Republican majority there will either have to 'own' this declaration, or defy Mr. Trump. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

"I don't need to do this.  I just want it done faster."

So..... What is the emergency exactly?

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
1 hour ago, bison said:

The House will challenge the emergency declaration. This will automatically require the Senate to hold a vote on it, too. The Republican majority there will either have to 'own' this declaration, or defy Mr. Trump. 

They can vote to go on the record that they disagree with his action but they do not have veto power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

also sets a dangerous precedent for any future president to do the same. by passing U.S. law makers. i think the republicans are not going to like what Trump is planning on doing. 

Them's the breaks...  They should have tried harder to help him get funding while they controlled the House.  Nutty Nancy has already thrown the idea out there that the Dems might just declare a national emergency over gun control.  Wouldn't be prudent ;) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa

A former top Drug Enforcement Administration official who helped hunt down Mexican drug kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman said President Donald Trump’s border wall wouldn’t do much to stop the flow of deadly substances into the country.

With most major drug loads coming through ports of entry rather than isolated parts of the border, former DEA Deputy Administrator Jack Riley said the government should be focusing on better manpower and screening at official channels.

Could be true, could be just a plug for a new book he is writing.  I don't know.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
2 minutes ago, and then said:

Them's the breaks...  They should have tried harder to help him get funding while they controlled the House.  Nutty Nancy has already thrown the idea out there that the Dems might just declare a national emergency over gun control.  Wouldn't be prudent ;) 

well now you're just assuming that the democrat's and republicans hostile to the idea of Trump riding rough shot over the law have no options or are resigned to defeat. 

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RAyMO

It will be challenged in courts - wall won't be built any time soon - but trump can tell his followers he did everything possible, except get a republican congress to give him the money off course. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa
2 minutes ago, and then said:

Nutty Nancy has already thrown the idea out there that the Dems might just declare a national emergency over gun control.  Wouldn't be prudent ;) 

Gun control, maybe not.  Reducing school and other public shootings through better early warnings and identification of troubled people that intervention might help before they start shooting, maybe.   My guess would be a climate change  emergency intervention, but I am no pundit.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa

If this DEA guy Riley is really in the know, then the border wall will not stop the drug flow, it is just a boondoggle.  Better spend the money, not in a fuzzy "War on Drugs" , but a focused War on Cartels with the goal of ending them.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Imaginarynumber1
15 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

If this DEA guy Riley is really in the know, then the border wall will not stop the drug flow, it is just a boondoggle.  Better spend the money, not in a fuzzy "War on Drugs" , but a focused War on Cartels with the goal of ending them.

A wall obviously won't stop drug traffic. The vast vast majority of drugs come through legal checkpoints. The walls only intention has ever been to stop non whites from entering the country.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
15 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

If this DEA guy Riley is really in the know, then the border wall will not stop the drug flow, it is just a boondoggle.  Better spend the money, not in a fuzzy "War on Drugs" , but a focused War on Cartels with the goal of ending them.

can't imagine the Mexican government prepared to openly allow cross border raids and drone attacks but that would get a better result than a wall, imo.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2

I absolutely disagree with this.

This is not what the power of declaring emergencies was meant for.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MWoo7

I quote acute "So..... What is the emergency exactly?" the next emergency magic MONEY will be for automated 50cal turrets and fully loaded FLIR(night vision 'yesyesforgrammartechgeeks forward looking infra red') drones so good ole boys and little brothers can fill their pockets/bank-accounts and have fun too !


Come on give me the love hey did you know its still in the air eh?!?!!!... the Valentine spirit seasonal atmosphere/mood.

HEARTS SILLY >>>> they go right there > click click, click click,

*crickets*

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat

Extension ladder sales in Mexico will go up, also rappelling equipment.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

well now you're just assuming that the democrat's and republicans hostile to the idea of Trump riding rough shot over the law have no options or are resigned to defeat. 

His actions are within the scope of a law that the CONGRESS PASSED.  Of course, I'm not saying they won't do everything, legal or illegal, they can do to stop him.  Haven't you noticed?  It's WHAT THEY DO.  In fact, it's all they do.  We've seen the movie before.  Some Ninth Circus judge will issue an immediate injunction and it will stop him in his tracks for several months.  It will make its way to the Supreme Court and they'll HAVE to hear it because they aren't going to let some low-level Federal judge create a precedent that will hamstring a future president whose name isn't Trump.  Who knows how they'll rule but so far, he has won every one of these actions.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
8 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Extension ladder sales in Mexico will go up, also rappelling equipment.

When enough of them flood in that Americans are having trouble finding work or see them receiving benefits that they didn't work for, benefits many Americans are refused, they just might find themselves to be pretty unpopular.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
2 minutes ago, and then said:

His actions are within the scope of a law that the CONGRESS PASSED.  Of course, I'm not saying they won't do everything, legal or illegal, they can do to stop him.  Haven't you noticed?  It's WHAT THEY DO.  In fact, it's all they do.  We've seen the movie before.  Some Ninth Circus judge will issue an immediate injunction and it will stop him in his tracks for several months.  It will make its way to the Supreme Court and they'll HAVE to hear it because they aren't going to let some low-level Federal judge create a precedent that will hamstring a future president whose name isn't Trump.  Who knows how they'll rule but so far, he has won every one of these actions.

i highly don't that the founding fathers or those that wrote the laws over many generations would leave a provision in it for someone to break the very spirit of the democracy they are mean't to uphold. this is a unilateral action. its dictatorial in nature. it says i won't compromise and i will not negotiate within the parameters of my office. o i will bend the laws and misinterpret to get what i want. in essence if he wins his wall then why does America need a House of Rep's and Senate? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky

during Roman times a dictator was a consul that had power to by pass the senate in decisions effecting the empire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.