Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The rise of the British horseracing hooligan

Eldorado

"Haydock Park officials are investigating after a mass brawl broke out among spectators at the racecourse.

About 50 people were involved in the fight before and during the eighth and final race of the day. A woman and toddler were caught up in the disturbance."

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/47267969

This was going on last year too.  From the BBC again....

"Racegoers at next week's Royal Ascot could be breathalysed and refused admission as part of a crackdown on incidents of violence at racecourses.

Brawls have marred meetings at Ascot and Goodwood this season."

Full report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/44460319

Any racegoers here know what's going on?

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I read about these racecourse punch-ups in the UK a while ago, hard to understand why scores would get involved, unless they are from identifiable groups, having a day out, like football fans from opposing teams. Yet to see anything on that scale on an Australian racetrack, people don't seem to hold their drink so well these days.

• Like 1

I don't know what's going on here as I've been to Beverley Races a few times and it's always pretty laid back. I doubt that breathalyzing before entry would work as there are several bars available once in. (There are at Beverley and I would imagine the same at Haydock and Ascot).

It sounds like a case of 'too much drink' fueling the bravado and ego, much like bars in the town centres but why has it only just come to the fore? A generation thing perhaps?

I guess it occasionally happens at all manner of events where large groups of people overindulge on the alcohol - weddings, funerals etc

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I read about these racecourse punch-ups in the UK a while ago, hard to understand why scores would get involved, unless they are from identifiable groups, having a day out, like football fans from opposing teams. Yet to see anything on that scale on an Australian racetrack, people don't seem to hold their drink so well these days.

This is what I don't understand.  Hooligans in a group usually have a banner to fight under and love to sport their "team colours" to legitimize their appalling behaviour but racegoing is a relaxed day out without all that tribal rivalry.

Maybe it's the only popular sporting venue left where the local police don't already know their faces, but I hope it's just drunkenness and loud mouths and there's nothing planned about it.

• Like 1

Its criminality, since the UK launched its National Crime Agency the UK's equivalent of the FBI. its become much harder for criminals to move around money. they've taken to race courses where mega money can change hands with little attention paid and a good alibi if caught. the same is happening at car auctions. no doubt as their all at it rival criminals bump into another and you get the 'mass brawls' 

I know this, the NCA knows it yet the Media don't. :rolleyes:

Edited by stevewinn
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Its criminality, since the UK launched its National Crime Agency the UK's equivalent of the FBI. its become much harder for criminals to move around money. they've taken to race courses where mega money can change hands with little attention paid and a good alibi if caught. the same is happening at car auctions. no doubt as their all at it rival criminals bump into another and you get the 'mass brawls' 

Interesting theory, but unless they can get a bookie to write them a cheque, how do they launder money ?

Just now, Habitat said:

Interesting theory, but unless they can get a bookie to write them a cheque, how do they launder money ?

Its not a theory its happening there are one or two bookies in on it at the course, for their involvement get a nice little greased palm off the 'winner' 

look at the way they 'buy' property in Dubai, then when the law catches up with them and follows the money trail when questioned how £350,000 appeared out of thin air the sale of the 'property' and its traceable. so its 'honest' money. which if they get off with they can keep the wealth.

• Like 1

There's always been trouble at racecourses riots in Victorian times and Peaky Blinders were notorious for causing trouble at horse races.

• Thanks 1