Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

YouTube to blame for Flat Earth popularity

Eldorado

YouTube is playing a significant role in convincing some people that the Earth is flat, research suggests.

A study quizzed people at flat earth conferences and found most cited videos viewed on the site as a key influence.

They were won over by videos which claimed to amass evidence proving the Earth was not a spherical planet.

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47279253

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Behind every crazy theory on Facebook is a link to a YouTube video.

Edited by acute
  • Like 7

Yeah no....people believed in pseudo-scientific nonsense long before youtube or widespread access to the internet. The Age of Aquarius, 2012, Nostradamus, Greys,Reptilians, Nordics, Ancient Astronauts and the Flat Earth bullpoop itself all predate youtube. All youtube does is give those people an easier platform, but it didn't invent them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I would blame lack of basic science education in developed nations.

And stupid people being gullible as *snip*

Idiots all being gullible as *snip *

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

From what I have seen most genuine flat earthers seem to have religious reasons for their beliefs. They try to pass it of as scientific, but usually they end up citing some kind of religious text sooner or later.

• Like 4

Pretty sure it got started from the lovely trolls over in 4chan. They are the masters of trolling the general population. If you haven�t seen how they where able to locate Shia luboffs flag somewhere in the states, it�s a great laugh.

• Like 4

Flat Earth has been around for a long time. The current iteration is a symptom of the "information age". It's a counter-culture movement based on the premise that that nothing that the authorities tell us can be trusted - including basic Science. The movement is fed by small but true facts such as NASA admitting nearly all their images are CGI. Flat Earthers take the "fake news" mantra to the extreme. Some of their arguments are actually pretty creative and abstract, even hard to disprove without an advanced knowledge of physics. That's partly why the movement keeps gaining traction.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Flat Earth has been around for a long time

It really has't. Maybe 5 or 6 years. No one has willingly expressed how dumb they are until recently.

• Like 3

I remember my parents, who I thought we smart :unsure: believing what was printed in the Nation Enquirer-because it was printed in a newspaper, it had to be true....yeah

And then the spoof about mermaids being real...a teenager totally believed it because it was a documentory.

Yes, there gsve been flat earthers for ages, the difference is that Youtube reaches so many more people.  And the videos are made to look like real documentaries.  Lack of education really shows with segments of society believing anything-because it is on the internet 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

It really has't. Maybe 5 or 6 years. No one has willingly expressed how dumb they are until recently.

Nope.  Over 30 years ago a guy I knew showed me his Flat Earth  Society card.  He had joined a newsletter that explained all about the 'conspiracy'

Boy, have I met some doozies in my lifetime

• Like 3

Just now, glorybebe said:

Nope.  Over 30 years ago a guy I knew showed me his Flat Earth  Society card.  He had joined a newsletter that explained all about the 'conspiracy'

Boy, have I met some doozies in my lifetime

Yes. It's always been there, but on the periphery, like it should be. It was never seriously considered until a few years ago. Half the belivers know its a joke, the rs=st are just too dumb to know its satire

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Yes. It's always been there, but on the periphery, like it should be. It was never seriously considered until a few years ago. Half the belivers know its a joke, the rs=st are just too dumb to know its satire

I really can't comprehend how anyone could believe in it.  It boggles my mind.  

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

genuine flat earthers 

What is a genuine flat earther? Do you mean the

crazy-fools.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I think YouTube is able to influence individuals on many topics not just the flat earth stuff.. It's accessibility and wide variety of content creators provides areas of interest for almost everyone.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

What is a genuine flat earther? Do you mean the

crazy-fools.jpg

I think that quite a few of the flatards do it for the attention, not because of a strongly held position. These days people seem to be willing to do or say crazy stuff in order to get attention or troll people. Sadly facts appear to be less important than attention for some people.

Whether strong believer or attention seeker they all do deserve the Mr. T threatmemt. :P

• Like 3

You can't blame people being allowed to freely share thoughts and ideas for stupidity. 

5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

You can't blame people being allowed to freely share thoughts and ideas for stupidity. 

Why can't you blame them?  I blame David Icke for his stupid shape-shifting lizard men bull****.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Why can't you blame them?  I blame David Icke for his stupid shape-shifting lizard men bull****.

I think you misunderstood, It is definitely the persons fault for sharing. But it's not YouTubes fault, people are dumb when people can freely share and people are dumb when people can not freely share. 

2 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Yeah no....people believed in pseudo-scientific nonsense long before youtube or widespread access to the internet. The Age of Aquarius, 2012, Nostradamus, Greys,Reptilians, Nordics, Ancient Astronauts and the Flat Earth bullpoop itself all predate youtube. All youtube does is give those people an easier platform, but it didn't invent them.

True.  But you used to have to go out an buy a book.  It's much easier now,  And there is a lot more of it

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Essan said:

True.  But you used to have to go out an buy a book.  It's much easier now,  And there is a lot more of it

That's it, right there.  Not only did you have to buy the book, you had to read it, as well, and how many knuckle-dragging unibrows waste their time doing that?

But sitting, mouth agape, brain on pause, in front of screen? Def. in their wheelhouse.

--Jaylemurph 

• Like 2