Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

YouTube to blame for Flat Earth popularity

Eldorado

2 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

As a very wise man once said "Not everything is a conspiracy". :whistle:

Hey at least now when you meet a flat earth believer you know what you are up against!

1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

lol hey that's just what I've heard from reputable YouTube sources. 

Now that's a conspiracy you will have to convince me on :lol: There are people who genuinely believe they are furry creatures - "there's a sucker born every minute". 

I guess I shouldn't have said "no one".   There are always exceptions.   However I do feel the vast majority of them don't really believe it. 

• Like 1

There is literally no way to win an argument with a flat earther.

They are the most fragmented group as well.  They all start with the simple premise that the Earth is flat, and then just make stuff up to explain the obvious observations that debunk their claims.

For instance one FE school of thought is that there is no gravity, but the Earth itself is accelerating upwards at a steady 1G.

Another claims a dome covers the Earth, and another claims that at a certain altitude you enter some sort of ocean suspended above the Earth.  This one was backed by an airline ad at one point which seemed to illustrate this.

Ultimately, you could send a group of flat earthers into orbit, and some would claim the trip was simulated, others would claim they dreamt the whole thing.

• Like 1

Why flat, what if the earth is a hexagon? or a pentagon? Joking aside flat earth people cannot be argued with. Their defense mainly consists of "that's fake, gravity is fake, oh and that's fake. 

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 9:24 AM, Grey Area said:

Another claims a dome covers the Earth, and another claims that at a certain altitude you enter some sort of ocean suspended above the Earth.  This one was backed by an airline ad at one point which seemed to illustrate this.

That's from the Bible, waters above and below the earth.

If you watch some of their stargazing videos they zoom in on stars and claim they must be in water because they're blurry.

On 20/02/2019 at 3:27 PM, Dark_Grey said:

Did you know you can type your search words directly in to the address bar and it will take you to Google? In Chrome it takes like, 3 seconds to find anything.

Space.com - 2010

and

Is the public interested in seeing a picture of a fuzzy dot of light or a beautiful blue Avatar planet? NASA admits they heavily edit their images for public consumption and they have been doing it for a long time. This feeds the Flat Earther.

"Touched up" is not the same as "nearly all CGI". Not even close.

1 hour ago, Emma_Acid said:

"Touched up" is not the same as "nearly all CGI". Not even close.

Plus you can find the originals if you bother to put just a little bit of effort into it.

In any event most images from space are meant to highlight certain wavelengths. A meteorologist doesn't really care if his satellite images are true colour, he cares if he can see things like wind patterns and temperature differences. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NotWhoYouThink said:

if the earth was flat cats would have pushed everything off by now

Billedet indeholder sandsynligvis: tekst

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, aztek said:

isn't FE theory hundreds if not a thousand years old.

Image result for flat earth in ancient times

Does this mean everyone today thinks the  Earth is flat?  ;) 

If some humans at least havent know the world is round for at least 100,000 years then I am a dingo's doo-doo

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzAzMi82NzQvb3JpZ2luYWwvRmxhdF9lYXJ0aC5qcGc=.jpg

2 minutes ago, Essan said:

Does this mean everyone today thinks the  Earth is flat?  ;) 

no, it means you tube has nothing to do with its popularity,  try to be relevant.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, aztek said:

isn't FE theory hundreds if not a thousand years old.

Image result for flat earth in ancient times

Some facts: the Ancient Greek and Roman maps aren't real. They're modern "reconstructions," some of which is based on texts that did not exist at the time they were "recreated." 

The maps in the upper right and left corners are called T and O charts. And they're not maps, per se, they're schemata -- heavily stylized, meant to be a reflection of spiritual/Biblical propaganda rather than a useful reproduction of the real world. Note the centre of the world in them is Jerusalem.

The map from the early Middle Ages is a slightly more realistic version if the same, probably from Arabia or China, although it looks like Roman lettering in the text visible. In any case, it's also clearly from a codex (the modern book form with spine and sewn pages, rather than a scroll or loose parchment), so from later than the seventh century as it's labelled.

--Jaylemurph 

Edited by jaylemurph

1 minute ago, jaylemurph said:

Some facts: the Ancient Greek and Roman maps aren't real. They're modern "reconstructions," some of which is based on texts that did not exist at the time they were "recreated." 

The maps in the upper right and left corners are called T and O charts. And they're not maps, per se, they're schemata -- heavily stylized, meant to be a reflection of spiritual/Biblical propaganda rather than a useful reproduction of the real world. Note the centre of the world in them is Jerusalem.

The map from the early Middle Ages is a slightly more realistic version if the same, probably from Arabia or China, although it looks like Roman lettering in the text visible. In any case, it's also clearly from a codex (the modern book form with spine and sewn pages, rather than a scroll or loose parchment), so from later than the seventh century as it's labelled.

--Jaylemurph 

you may be right, i just used this pic for reference of FE being a lot older than you tube, or anyone alive today,  

• 1 month later...

I am certain it is pure ignorance that has fooled people into believing in the flat earth theory. That along with being too lazy to do a little research to confirm any so called "facts". If they put all their trust into a youtube video, they are being foolish, and in this case, being fooled. So, don't be a fool people.

There's $10,000+ for anyone whom can prove the spinning globe model. Ironically, the only thing i can link is a YouTube video. However, I have an invested interest in this whole phenomenon. It's a strange rabbit hole to go down. I'm highly educated and I can't dispute the fact, that there's a lot of intriguing, thought provoking proofs on the FE side of things. I have interviewed Eric Dubay, actually, I chat with him regularly. He's an interesting person. So, I'm on the fence, as with many topics, but definitely don't care what people think. Cognitive Dissonance is real. Something to consider. Busy day, so I'll be back.. :)

9 minutes ago, Mentalcase2.0 said:

There's $10,000+ for anyone whom can prove the spinning globe model. Ironically, the only thing i can link is a YouTube video. However, I have an invested interest in this whole phenomenon. It's a strange rabbit hole to go down. I'm highly educated and I can't dispute the fact, that there's a lot of intriguing, thought provoking proofs on the FE side of things. I have interviewed Eric Dubay, actually, I chat with him regularly. He's an interesting person. So, I'm on the fence, as with many topics, but definitely don't care what people think. Cognitive Dissonance is real. Something to consider. Busy day, so I'll be back.. :)

And yet flat earthers will only accept proof of the flat earth.  The 10k is as good as imaginary.

Eric Dubay is nothing more than a charlatan.  I've seen some of his videos but when he stated the southern celestial pole doesn't exist that proves he's a liar.

Imagine someone saying the north star Polaris doesn't exist, despite the fact millions can see it.  He's doing the same thing.

37 minutes ago, Mentalcase2.0 said:

I guess the hundreds of pictures of Earth from space is not proof?

21 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I guess the hundreds of pictures of Earth from space is not proof?

Not to them.  Everything is CGI.

7 hours ago, Mentalcase2.0 said:

A few simple tests anyone can do, is to attach a camera  to a high altitude balloon to take pics. From there you can see the curvature of the earth. Another simple test you can do is look at the difference between the night skies in the northern and southern hemispheres. Completely different, if the earth was flat they would be the same. Get  a telescope, watch other planets spin, notice they are all round. The odds of the earth being the only flat planet in the solar system, calculate the odds. So much proof for anyone willing to test and observe for themselves. BTW, there are several more test, these are but a few. If one tried real hard they could mess these test up, or make excuses for each one, in which case, its just a waste of time for you.

Flatearth.png..png

5 hours ago, AlphaGeek said:

A few simple tests anyone can do, is to attach a camera  to a high altitude balloon to take pics. From there you can see the curvature of the earth. Another simple test you can do is look at the difference between the night skies in the northern and southern hemispheres. Completely different, if the earth was flat they would be the same. Get  a telescope, watch other planets spin, notice they are all round. The odds of the earth being the only flat planet in the solar system, calculate the odds. So much proof for anyone willing to test and observe for themselves. BTW, there are several more test, these are but a few. If one tried real hard they could mess these test up, or make excuses for each one, in which case, its just a waste of time for you.

Flatearth.png..png

Honestly, the only way I can know for sure, is to go to space myself. If it's ever an option, that's reasonably affordable, lol, I wouldn't miss it for the world. 

Thing is, I've spent a long time debating against FE. I know all the facts. Surely, my reputation here, speaks for itself. You may not know me, but I used to mod here, years ago. I was dedicated to the whole spectrum of topics. I'm open minded enough, to accept truth. That's it. I do not trust written or known history, at least the mainstream versions.. There's way too much to cover, to really make my point. However, I'm not here to debate this topic. It's a deadhorse. I do think it's important, even if it's an exercise in critical thinking, for the masses.

23 hours ago, Mentalcase2.0 said:

It's a strange rabbit hole to go down. I'm highly educated and I can't dispute the fact, that there's a lot of intriguing, thought provoking proofs on the FE side of things.

What is the best proof for the flat earth?

8 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

What is the best proof for the flat earth?

Subjective experience. Ltns btw. 

Funny how cognitive dissonance works. I used to argue, that I'd definitely seen the curve during my many flights, throughout life. The first time getting back in one, a thought occurred to me, maybe it's possible. Lol. Not very awe inspiring, but the horizon rose with us and flat all around, I had to go back and apologize. I know science. I just think even if earth is 1,000 times larger, there'd be a visible drop-off. Meaning, the there'd be a visible curve, that would exponentially drop with altitude. 

Before FE got popular, i actually figured out the FES was a Freemasonry stronghold. Which, is weird. There's many strange things around this topic. The damage control is confusing, is it to keep us from getting dumber or is it confirming the whole thing? Not sure, but it's been a fun ride. 

Ironically, I just find myself moderating arguments and debates on YT, IFERS, etc. 

One would assume that people get more knowledgeable with internet being available everywhere, but it's not the case.

Years ago if you see some interesting thing said in a movie or TV show or in book you had to ask about it or read about it. It was very hard to find information when compared to how it's done now. I mean, just type what you need and pick one of million answers. Such process seems to badly influence cognitive ability but that should not be the case, shouldn't internet make us smarter?

Just last night i was watching Star Trek: Next Generation and in one episode Picard mentions Fermat's theorem (it wasn't proved when show was recorded) and if you are interested in such references you just type and enjoy. It was long read but years ago it was hard to find the answer. When i first watched the show i was unable to check things like that, it took a lot of effort and usually ended up with no answer.

It's sad.