Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

YouTube to blame for Flat Earth popularity

Eldorado

On 4/8/2019 at 6:45 PM, Mentalcase2.0 said:

Honestly, the only way I can know for sure, is to go to space myself. If it's ever an option, that's reasonably affordable, lol, I wouldn't miss it for the world. 

Thing is, I've spent a long time debating against FE. I know all the facts. Surely, my reputation here, speaks for itself. You may not know me, but I used to mod here, years ago. I was dedicated to the whole spectrum of topics. I'm open minded enough, to accept truth. That's it. I do not trust written or known history, at least the mainstream versions.. There's way too much to cover, to really make my point. However, I'm not here to debate this topic. It's a deadhorse. I do think it's important, even if it's an exercise in critical thinking, for the masses.

There are ways to test and know, but for you space is all that you will accept. Balloons, (about 20 miles high), fly much higher than a commercial aircraft (about 7 or 8 miles high). Strap a cam on one and let it go. It can see the curvature of the earth.

I don't know you as I am fairly new here. I am sure your reputation is a good one, I have no reason to doubt you, you appear very intelligent. But you know, you don't have to prove anything to me. I don't judge someone just because they see differently me. If we all agreed on everything, this world would sure be boring.

On 4/10/2019 at 7:54 PM, AlphaGeek said:

There are ways to test and know, but for you space is all that you will accept. Balloons, (about 20 miles high), fly much higher than a commercial aircraft (about 7 or 8 miles high). Strap a cam on one and let it go. It can see the curvature of the earth.

assuming you will find your cam, after it  fell down 20 miles.  if you talking about broadcasting a good quality video signal, your cam\baloon\transmitter will cost more than paying for a ride in a mig31 that can take you as high,  those things can go up 80k feet

They didn't start the fire (or the stupid, as the case may be).

It just spreads way faster because of them. 

Edited by GlitterRose
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 11:49 AM, acute said:

Behind every crazy theory on Facebook is a link to a YouTube video.

Yeah they should call it "Boob Tube".....

Idiots will always find a dumb thing to believe. Youtube just happens to be a gathering place for idiots.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 4:56 PM, aztek said:

assuming you will find your cam, after it  fell down 20 miles.  if you talking about broadcasting a good quality video signal, your cam\baloon\transmitter will cost more than paying for a ride in a mig31 that can take you as high,  those things can go up 80k feet

True, but both your idea and mine is still cheaper than a trip to outer space.

why do so many replies regard "Flat Earthers" as uneducated or stupid? If you were to take a look at the evidence, use your own logic & common sense you can only come to one conclusion, that we do not live on a spinning globe! No-one can say or knows with 100% certainty that the earth is stationary & flat, but it is more plausible than a globe spinning 1000mph covered in water travelling in a vacuum of nothing around a hot sun at 66,666mph(just a coincidence!) Believing is the opposite of knowing, People need to start thinking (about what you know to be true rather than what we've been told to believe is true!)

• Haha 1

Concerning "why do so many replies regard "Flat Earthers" as uneducated or stupid? ", what's the catch?

Edited by MWoo7

26 minutes ago, Hizzy2 said:

why do so many replies regard "Flat Earthers" as uneducated or stupid?

Because they refuse to listen to reason. People knew the Earths isn't flat more than 2000 years ago, so its hardly new information.

If you were to take a look at the evidence, use your own logic & common sense you can only come to one conclusion, that we do not live on a spinning globe!

You are right its not a globe, its an oblate spheroid. :innocent:

No-one can say or knows with 100% certainty that the earth is stationary & flat,

We can however know with 100 % certainty that it isn't.

but it is more plausible than a globe spinning 1000mph covered in water travelling in a vacuum of nothing around a hot sun at 66,666mph(just a coincidence!)

Based on all of the available evidence that is indeed the case.

Believing is the opposite of knowing, People need to start thinking

You are right that people should start thinking and if they did that we would have no flat earthers to begin with.

(about what you know to be true rather than what we've been told to believe is true!)

As you would know if you have read the thread there are many ways you can test it yourself......... if you actually want to know the truth that is.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hizzy2 said:

why do so many replies regard "Flat Earthers" as uneducated or stupid?

Because they are, look at what you just said;

If you were to take a look at the evidence, use your own logic & common sense you can only come to one conclusion, that we do not live on a spinning globe! No-one can say or knows with 100% certainty that the earth is stationary & flat, but it is more plausible than a globe spinning 1000mph covered in water travelling in a vacuum of nothing around a hot sun at 66,666mph(just a coincidence!) Believing is the opposite of knowing, People need to start thinking (about what you know to be true rather than what we've been told to believe is true!)

The observable evidence doesn't support a flat earth.  If you could think you'd work out the celestial poles are impossible on a flat earth.

There are two kinds of flat earthers, liars, and the gullible idiots who believe the liars.

Edited by Rlyeh

On 2/18/2019 at 10:03 AM, Eldorado said:

YouTube is playing a significant role in convincing some people that the Earth is flat, research suggests.

A study quizzed people at flat earth conferences and found most cited videos viewed on the site as a key influence.

They were won over by videos which claimed to amass evidence proving the Earth was not a spherical planet.

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47279253

nah it's more about lacks of natural selection that we have some people thinking that the Earth is flat...

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2019 at 7:25 PM, Hizzy2 said:

why do so many replies regard "Flat Earthers" as uneducated or stupid? If you were to take a look at the evidence, use your own logic & common sense you can only come to one conclusion, that we do not live on a spinning globe! No-one can say or knows with 100% certainty that the earth is stationary & flat, but it is more plausible than a globe spinning 1000mph covered in water travelling in a vacuum of nothing around a hot sun at 66,666mph(just a coincidence!) Believing is the opposite of knowing, People need to start thinking (about what you know to be true rather than what we've been told to believe is true!)

Logic is conditional and common sense is rarely either. You have to ignore a lot of readily observable effects and dismiss others as fake to make FE work.  Some people seem to think you can just casually wave away something like 2000 years of empirical data and  experimentation by thousands of individuals with a few memes as if none of them had ever once been considered, tested and rejected in all that time.

• Like 2

Come on, why are we going around and around on this flat conversation?

However there is something there to admonish. Believing the earth to be flat does not make one an idiot. However we must draw a line. In the distant past there were those leading men and women who based their belief on their physical senses. But only those few who understood that our senses fool us, were able to look past the 5 senses to get at the truth. But there is that "doubting Thomas" in all of us, just as much back then as even now, and they have to stick their fingers in the side to see that it was pierced. Surely, the whole world would laugh at anyone who believed the earth was a spheroid, only a few centuries ago. And there are still a few holdouts today.

As they say, to see is to believe. Only a few are able to see with that inner eye, as they are able to see the truth, but only when free from the interference of their physical senses. I would venture to say that the majority of those calling others idiots for believing in a flat earth, would be those idiots of a few centuries ago, ridiculing the ones that believed in a spherical earth. They see only through others' inner eye, while they stand on the shoulders of the great thinkers, as they also have the benefit of sensory material proof, a fruit of our modern technology, the result of great scientific minds.The same kind of scientific minds of the past, the past minds that ridiculed a spherical earth. 

11 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

However there is something there to admonish. Believing the earth to be flat does not make one an idiot.

You have to lie in order to maintain the belief.

Surely, the whole world would laugh at anyone who believed the earth was a spheroid, only a few centuries ago.

That's a myth.  The concept of the spherical earth has been around for a couple millennia.  Classical Greeks while having a geo-centric model knew of the spherical earth.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 2

So what are we saying here? Let me quess. We must stop all people on youtube from saying things we don't believe, right? Must take their channels down, right?

On 5/3/2019 at 6:34 PM, Pettytalk said:

Believing the earth to be flat does not make one an idiot.

It kind of does.   

• Like 2

On 4/27/2019 at 6:25 PM, Hizzy2 said:

There is so much wrong with this paragraph, but I won't dissect it since Noteverythingisaconspiracy has done a great job.  Kudos 

On 10/05/2019 at 10:54 AM, preacherman76 said:

So what are we saying here? Let me quess. We must stop all people on youtube from saying things we don't believe, right? Must take their channels down, right?

You have summarised the flaw in social media. The belief that people should have the right to present lies, distortions and factually incorrect observations as though they were truth. And if anyone dares to suggest that this may be a bad idea, people say things like you have done. Damn, that would be censorship,  interfering with the freedom of speech. People should have the right to spread lies and distortions.

And the truth becomes less and less clear behind the tidal wave of nonsense on the internet.

2 minutes ago, Border Collie said:

You have summarised the flaw in social media. The belief that people should have the right to present lies, distortions and factually incorrect observations as though they were truth. And if anyone dares to suggest that this may be a bad idea, people say things like you have done. Damn, that would be censorship,  interfering with the freedom of speech. People should have the right to spread lies and distortions.

And the truth becomes less and less clear behind the tidal wave of nonsense on the internet.

In that case every media outlet needs to be shut down like yesterday. They actually have blood on their hands because of outright lies, as opposed to people who believe the earth is flat. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Border Collie said:

The implications of what you're saying is to create some group/organization to enforce the truth. In essence a group deciding what is true and what counts as a lie.

I think creating a monster like that would be worse then random lies and rumors people say online. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

The implications of what you're saying is to create some group/organization to enforce the truth. In essence a group deciding what is true and what counts as a lie.

I think creating a monster like that would be worse then random lies and rumors people say online. 

Exactly. I wish people could understand the gravity of what they are saying when they endorse online censorship. I cringed when I read that post. 

I mean what sounds worse? People harmlessly believing in things like the flat earth theory, or multi billion dollar corporations deciding what truth is for us all. Under the influence of msm, and the government no less. People who have outright lied to us in hopes of getting us to support illegal, and unconstitutional wars. 

If people no longer have the ability to question certain narratives, even if they are completely wrong, many untruths will never be discovered or exposed. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Border Collie said:

You have summarised the flaw in social media.

It's a design flaw. At least it was initially. The platforms thrived because they welcomed ALL users, not just the ones they disagreed with personally. As censorship increases, the user base decreases. See: Facebook. The social media giants are shooting themselves in the foot by catering to the whims of Alphabet agencies and shadowy donors.

The belief that people should have the right to present lies, distortions and factually incorrect observations as though they were truth. And if anyone dares to suggest that this may be a bad idea, people say things like you have done. Damn, that would be censorship,  interfering with the freedom of speech. People should have the right to spread lies and distortions.

Conflicting information promotes discussion and that leads to new ideas. "Freedom of speech" means all speech - including that which you don't agree with. It's so important precisely because it exposes people to bad information. Without real free speech, the conversation goes stagnant and culture slows to a halt.

So if Flat Earth is such a stupid concept, why not let it run rampant on YouTube? What are they afraid of if the evidence of a round Earth is observable and common knowledge? Shutting down Conservative channels and "truther" channels I can understand, though I am very opposed to the idea. Shutting down relatively benign ideas like Flat Earth, as dumb as it, is just weird...what is the end game there? Flat Earth doesn't threaten the war machine, politicians or the global banking cartel. It doesn't expose high level human traffickers or conspiracies. So why try and snuff it out? What could Flat Earth lead to that threatens the status quo? Is NASA worried about being exposed while they are under the microscope by the FE community? Maybe that have been running a big money laundering scheme and FE is putting too much negative light on them...who knows. It doesn't make sense to go after it with such vigor unless a lot of money is involved somehow.

Anyways, yeah - people should have the right to say whatever nonsense they want as long as they accept the consequences of their words. If social media is considered a "public utility", then it gets regulated and free speech will happen there by law. If social media wants to identify as private companies, then they are responsible for all the content published on them, including ISIS recruitment videos. This is the big court battle happening right now and it seems like social media has painted itself in to a corner. They can't have it both ways.

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 6:17 AM, preacherman76 said:

In that case every media outlet needs to be shut down like yesterday. They actually have blood on their hands because of outright lies, as opposed to people who believe the earth is flat. 

Does that include Alex Jones?

6 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Does that include Alex Jones?

It doesn't include anyone. Unless laws are being broken, I don't want to see anyone silenced.

All I'm saying is, if censorship is necessary, according to some, then why should the people who have done actual harm be exempt? Heck the Iraq war made protesting Sandy Hook parents look like a good time. How many thousands of our own servicemen died? How many millions of innocent Iraqi's died? And that's just Iraq. The media supported every horror we committed in the ME. They are selling slaves in the streets of what was once the most prosperous nation with the highest standard of living in Libya. Many parts of Syria, whole cities in fact, look like they suffered a massive meteor strike.

But it's Alex Jones we have to protect ourselves from?? LOL This is hypocrisy on a level seldom seen.  

Edited by preacherman76