Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

YouTube to blame for Flat Earth popularity

64 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Dark_Grey
2 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

As a very wise man once said "Not everything is a conspiracy". :whistle:

Hey at least now when you meet a flat earth believer you know what you are up against!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Myles
1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

lol hey that's just what I've heard from reputable YouTube sources. 

Now that's a conspiracy you will have to convince me on :lol: There are people who genuinely believe they are furry creatures - "there's a sucker born every minute". 

I guess I shouldn't have said "no one".   There are always exceptions.   However I do feel the vast majority of them don't really believe it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grey Area

There is literally no way to win an argument with a flat earther.

They are the most fragmented group as well.  They all start with the simple premise that the Earth is flat, and then just make stuff up to explain the obvious observations that debunk their claims.

For instance one FE school of thought is that there is no gravity, but the Earth itself is accelerating upwards at a steady 1G.

Another claims a dome covers the Earth, and another claims that at a certain altitude you enter some sort of ocean suspended above the Earth.  This one was backed by an airline ad at one point which seemed to illustrate this.

Ultimately, you could send a group of flat earthers into orbit, and some would claim the trip was simulated, others would claim they dreamt the whole thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Summerin1905

Why flat, what if the earth is a hexagon? or a pentagon? Joking aside flat earth people cannot be argued with. Their defense mainly consists of "that's fake, gravity is fake, oh and that's fake. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlyeh
On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 9:24 AM, Grey Area said:

Another claims a dome covers the Earth, and another claims that at a certain altitude you enter some sort of ocean suspended above the Earth.  This one was backed by an airline ad at one point which seemed to illustrate this.

That's from the Bible, waters above and below the earth.

If you watch some of their stargazing videos they zoom in on stars and claim they must be in water because they're blurry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emma_Acid
On 20/02/2019 at 3:27 PM, Dark_Grey said:

Did you know you can type your search words directly in to the address bar and it will take you to Google? In Chrome it takes like, 3 seconds to find anything.

Space.com - 2010

and

Is the public interested in seeing a picture of a fuzzy dot of light or a beautiful blue Avatar planet? NASA admits they heavily edit their images for public consumption and they have been doing it for a long time. This feeds the Flat Earther.

"Touched up" is not the same as "nearly all CGI". Not even close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
1 hour ago, Emma_Acid said:

"Touched up" is not the same as "nearly all CGI". Not even close.

Plus you can find the originals if you bother to put just a little bit of effort into it.

In any event most images from space are meant to highlight certain wavelengths. A meteorologist doesn't really care if his satellite images are true colour, he cares if he can see things like wind patterns and temperature differences. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NotWhoYouThink

if the earth was flat cats would have pushed everything off by now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
3 hours ago, NotWhoYouThink said:

if the earth was flat cats would have pushed everything off by now

Billedet indeholder sandsynligvis: tekst

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek

isn't FE theory hundreds if not a thousand years old.

Image result for flat earth in ancient times

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Essan
11 minutes ago, aztek said:

isn't FE theory hundreds if not a thousand years old.

Image result for flat earth in ancient times


Does this mean everyone today thinks the  Earth is flat?  ;) 



If some humans at least havent know the world is round for at least 100,000 years then I am a dingo's doo-doo

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzAzMi82NzQvb3JpZ2luYWwvRmxhdF9lYXJ0aC5qcGc=.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
2 minutes ago, Essan said:


Does this mean everyone today thinks the  Earth is flat?  ;) 
 

 

no, it means you tube has nothing to do with its popularity,  try to be relevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jaylemurph
21 hours ago, aztek said:

isn't FE theory hundreds if not a thousand years old.

Image result for flat earth in ancient times

Some facts: the Ancient Greek and Roman maps aren't real. They're modern "reconstructions," some of which is based on texts that did not exist at the time they were "recreated." 

The maps in the upper right and left corners are called T and O charts. And they're not maps, per se, they're schemata -- heavily stylized, meant to be a reflection of spiritual/Biblical propaganda rather than a useful reproduction of the real world. Note the centre of the world in them is Jerusalem.

The map from the early Middle Ages is a slightly more realistic version if the same, probably from Arabia or China, although it looks like Roman lettering in the text visible. In any case, it's also clearly from a codex (the modern book form with spine and sewn pages, rather than a scroll or loose parchment), so from later than the seventh century as it's labelled.

--Jaylemurph 

Edited by jaylemurph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
1 minute ago, jaylemurph said:

Some facts: the Ancient Greek and Roman maps aren't real. They're modern "reconstructions," some of which is based on texts that did not exist at the time they were "recreated." 

The maps in the upper right and left corners are called T and O charts. And they're not maps, per se, they're schemata -- heavily stylized, meant to be a reflection of spiritual/Biblical propaganda rather than a useful reproduction of the real world. Note the centre of the world in them is Jerusalem.

The map from the early Middle Ages is a slightly more realistic version if the same, probably from Arabia or China, although it looks like Roman lettering in the text visible. In any case, it's also clearly from a codex (the modern book form with spine and sewn pages, rather than a scroll or loose parchment), so from later than the seventh century as it's labelled.

--Jaylemurph 

you may be right, i just used this pic for reference of FE being a lot older than you tube, or anyone alive today,  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.