Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spirits of Nephilim?

C.E.Martin

I've seen this a few places now, where the opinion is that "ghosts" and the like are not the souls of the deceased, but rather non-corporeal nephilim, or rather, their spirits, left over from the Flood, which killed all living things on Earth. 

Given that Nephilim were the results of Fallen Angels and mortal women mating, if a Nephilim could then mate again with a human, how many generations before it was no longer Nephlim, but purely mortal? If such a being were partially Nephilim, where would its spirit go upon death? 

Not looking for a real world answer here--I'm a fiction author trying to decide how to work this into a series. I rather like the obscurity of this one. 

7 minutes ago, C.E.Martin said:

Not looking for a real world answer here--I'm a fiction author trying to decide how to work this into a series. I rather like the obscurity of this one. 

This should be reinforced, cause you're gonna get a lot of "experts" who know all about the subject...

8 minutes ago, C.E.Martin said:

Not looking for a real world answer here--I'm a fiction author trying to decide how to work this into a series.

As fiction, you can't have a better resource than a holy book. They are chock full of phantasia.

Good Luck with the writing, I'm a sucker for the written word and look forward to seeing your book on the shelves.

Oh, and welcome to UM! Please keep your arms and legs inside the carriage at all times, and under no circumstances are you to feed the trolls! :)

13 minutes ago, C.E.Martin said:

I've seen this a few places now, where the opinion is that "ghosts" and the like are not the souls of the deceased, but rather non-corporeal nephilim, or rather, their spirits, left over from the Flood, which killed all living things on Earth. 

Given that Nephilim were the results of Fallen Angels and mortal women mating, if a Nephilim could then mate again with a human, how many generations before it was no longer Nephlim, but purely mortal? If such a being were partially Nephilim, where would its spirit go upon death? 

Good concept.  The way I heard it worked was that the Nephilim, unable to go to heaven or hell were confined to this plane in spirit form and were demons, not ghosts.

24 minutes ago, C.E.Martin said:

You should edit your post to have that be the opening of the post. Some people here probably won't make it to the end to see that part and that will effect the replies you get to it, probably in a negative way. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Good concept.  The way I heard it worked was that the Nephilim, unable to go to heaven or hell were confined to this plane in spirit form and were demons, not ghosts.

They also could never be totally human through "interbreeding".  They "left their habitation" and God judged them for that.  They are destined for the Abyss.  A place as far below Hell as Hell is below the earth.  

I'm not read on the biblical lore of Nephilim much beyond the concept that they were the offspring of the sons of God and the daughters of man and they died off in the Great Food along with everything else not on the Ark.

A quick tip-toe through the google.. seems like there is some debate in the Christian lore circles about what exactly sons of God are. And if Nephilim and Giants are really the same thing or not. Couple links discussing it with biblical sourcing to help ya along...

What happened to the giants? Do they still exist?: https://www.lcg.org/questions-and-answers/what-happened-giants-do-they-still-exist

The Nephilim in the Bible - Fallen Angels or Giants?: https://www.crosswalk.com/faith/bible-study/the-nephilim-in-the-bible-fallen-angels-or-giants.html

Did Fallen Angels Have Sex with Humans and Create a Race of Giants?: http://www1.cbn.com/biblestudy/the-nephilim-children-of-demons

So... willing to play with the notion that Nephilim ghosts could still be able to impregnate a human in a corporeal fashion. I assume this would have to be because of the son of God oomph in their blood that they are able to do so unlike mere human ghosts. I don't think decedents would ever be 100% human- crazy deity DNA does stuff, lol. Ghost and corporeal mating likely would have it's own problems. Might help explain characters that have some.. angelic properties or abilities.

But considering that the biblical lore does not appear to contain much information about offspring of non-corporeal Nephilim, you might be able to get away with coming up with the rules about where dead offspring souls go.

Maybe play with the notion that a few Nephilim survived living past the flood and their offspring survives on today. Perhaps the surviving bloodlines goals could be to try to mate with humans enough to ensure their children could get to heaven as humans- and avoid the terrible purgatory that is the state of ghost-hood that some unfortunate mis-breeding results in. Other bloodlines could strive to make sure offspring still lingers on as ghosts for reasons..

And also notably- Nephilim are not noted to be the offspring of the worst fallen angel action- Lucifer/Satan, Ect.. you could have a lot of creative fun coming up with stuff for that particular offspring grouping too. How many times decedents of that one would have to be human before their soul could be untainted enough to pass up?

And a random not so biblical lore fun... the offspring of demons, specifically incubus and succubus, are known as Cambion.

• Like 1

Seven is the Biblical number of perfection and completion used hundreds of times. So, seven generations. And upon death being not fully man, the spirit would be destined to walk the earth until the final day of Judgment.

Edited by South Alabam