Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I don't believe you

Jodie.Lynne

2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

No, not by the victim. 

Do you think there was ever a time when something was considered wrong, when it wasn't?

17 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Hmmmm, honest?

Yup.  I don't lie. I see it as destructive and pointless.

This is one reason you find me cold. I wont pretend to be something i am  not. What you see is (at least in part ) what i am

I am fortunate to be married to a woman who much prefers me to be truthful than to lie to be polite, tactful,  or avoid confrontation.

As a child, lying  was perhaps the greatest crime a child in my family  could commit, because  it was a betrayal of trust, and could lead to great harm.

I am not perfect, and it has taken a long while. I lied more when younger, but found it counter productive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Wrong, wrong, and wrong, but yes it is a way of interpreting it

A modern reader must look through the eyes of the original writer in order to understand  the story and its purpose This requires a lot of study of the historical period, beliefs, and culture, of the writer. It also requires academic understanding of the principles of deconstructing texts   

But never mind  It is actually one of several  academic interpretations i have encountered while studying how to deconstruct the bible 

Your last comment is disrespectful but also totally disconnected from  my academic skills training and abilty 

the current US  Secretary  of housing and urban development  (Ben Carsons) was told the exam questions for his final medical exam by angels, yet  became one of Americas top neuro surgeons :) 

I don’t see evidence of academia, or scholarly consensus in your post. You are offering a bible study opinion. 

It is what it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

I work hard to be human and will lie through my teeth to spare another's feelings. It's the right thing to do if truth is too grim to stomach. Better to ease a soul with a lie than damn it with cold hard facts. We lie to ourselves all the time to make life bearable, so I'll spare others the virtue of honesty if circumstance dictates. For those who believe in a conceptual God of compassion, then compassion must dwell in one's heart for as long as one lives. For that's what God is, an idea in countless peoples minds that make the deity a conceptual reality.  As an idea, a God like that really isn't such a bad thing, at all.

How can an untruth do any good? It can only do harm, and is deceptive, dishonest, and misleads others. (My subjective opinion  based on my experiences in life)  A small  lie feeds bigger lies, and lets people build false hopes and understandings about each other and about life  

Being loving and compassionate means/requires, telling the truth,  not being dishonest

3 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

As a child, lying  was perhaps the greatest crime a child in my family  could commit, because  it was a betrayal of trust, and could lead to great harm.

No greater crime can be committed than lying. You got that right Mr Walker. 

22 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

As stated.

Totally trapped  in your own paradigm. 

Can't see the past and can't see the future.

Cant even see how you were  "indoctrinated"  into the values you hold today

eg While it is hard to get good figures, about 1.5 billion humans are vegetarians or about 22% of the worlds population    

In Australia the number of vegetarians is approaching 2 millon or about 12% of the population with a rapid growth in  those numbers 

So A human can live quite healthily without meat, and indeed if it is a choice and not imposed by shortage, vegetarians are generally longer lived and healthier then meat eaters 

More to the point, as our pop grows, the carrying capacity of the world cant sustain meat eating but can support vegetarianism 

That doesn't change the fact that we a omnivorous by nature and have been eating cooked meat for about 45 000 years 

Had we not done so, chances are we may not be here today at all. 

https://www.google.com/amp/time.com/4252373/meat-eating-veganism-evolution/%3famp=true

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

How can an untruth do any good? It can only do harm, and is deceptive, dishonest, and misleads others. (My subjective opinion  based on my experiences in life)  A small  lie feeds bigger lies, and lets people build false hopes and understandings about each other and about life  

Being loving and compassionate means/requires, telling the truth,  not being dishonest

Do you find it interesting that out of any poster here your credibility is questioned and challenged the majority of the time? 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sherapy said:

I don’t see evidence of academia, or scholarly consensus in your post. You are offering a bible study opinion. 

It is what it is. 

Well that is because you have never done any scholarly bible study or deconstruction, so you wouldn't recognise it if you fell over it :)    Do just a little study, maybe read a couple of those bibles where several scholars interpret the words for you, line by line and verse by verse.

Then argue with me.

ATM your opinion lacks value because it is totally uninformed. 

• Haha 3

Just now, Mr Walker said:

bull****. Men tell their wives they're beautiful, all the time, long after their sun has set. The beauty that once was still lives in their hearts and thus, sweet little lies to give the lie to the mirror.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Do you think there was ever a time when something was considered wrong, when it wasn't?

Anything wrong? No. I'd say the victims recognised such quite quickly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Mr Walker said:

Well that is because you have never done any scholarly bible study or deconstruction, so you wouldn't recognise it if you fell over it :)    Do just a little study, maybe read a couple of those bibles where several scholars interpret the words for you, line by line and verse by verse.

Then argue with me.

ATM your opinion lacks value because it is totally uninformed. 

I would be more convinced if you offered an argument, lol.

I am thinking you need a while to google up a counter. Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, psyche101 said:

That doesn't change the fact that we a omnivorous by nature and have been eating cooked meat for about 45 000 years 

Had we not done so, chances are we may not be here today at all. 

https://www.google.com/amp/time.com/4252373/meat-eating-veganism-evolution/%3famp=true

true, and ok while there was a small human population.  Meat eating by  8 billion humans is unsustainable for many factual reasons

Humans do not NEED to eat meat, although it makes a quick and easily accessible source of protein.

However modern humans eat far too much protein My cardio vascular rehab experts such as dietitians, pharmacists, physios, etc all agree that the less meat you can eat the healthier you will be.

None is best, but a small handful that fits in the palm of your hand,  3 or 4 times a week  is all you should eat, before it causes problems  

4 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

bull****. Men tell their wives they're beautiful, all the time, long after their sun has set. The beauty that once was still lives in their hearts and thus, sweet little lies to give the lie to the mirror.

And that is wrong. IF it is a lie 

As i said, I am lucky. My wife IS beautiful,  and so i can tell her so.

It is also not a lie if you believe  what you say, and a husband SHOULD find his wife beautiful.

But, if a pair of jeans makes my wife look fat, she wants to know the truth, not be comforted by a lie, then go out looking fat . :) 

• Haha 1

It is also not a lie if you believe  what you say, and a husband SHOULD find his wife beautiful.

But, if a pair of jeans makes my wife look fat, she wants to know the truth, not be comforted by a lie, then go out looking fat . :) 

Twenty years of celibacy has clearly dulled your senses. 

• Haha 4

What's the matter. Fat isn't beautiful?

6 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I would be more convinced if you offered an argument, lol.

I am thinking you need a while to google up a counter. Lol 

No you wouldn't, and no I don't.

You would then just assume i had googled something that  i have known, and studied on, for 45 years  

I have spent thousands of hours, as a younger person, doing academic studies of the bible, especially the more critical books within it.

My wife studies the bible with  written study guides, and online, for at least an hour every day, has done so for over 60 years,  and we often discuss her studies   

5 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

true, and ok while there was a small human population.  Meat eating by  8 billion humans is unsustainable for many factual reasons

Humans do not NEED to eat meat, although it makes a quick and easily accessible source of protein.

However modern humans eat far too much protein My cardio vascular rehab experts such as dietitians, pharmacists, physios, etc all agree that the less meat you can eat the healthier you will be.

None is best, but a small handful that fits in the palm of your hand,  3 or 4 times a week  is all you should eat, before it causes problems  

5 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

There is you and then there is Andy. 

No offense to you but you have health require dietary changes, according to your autobiography you pushed the envelope and now have to be very strict. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

Twenty years of celibacy has clearly dulled your senses. 

lol I will take that as good humour.

My wife is 76 years old, and still as beautiful as the day i met her in 1972, which was incredibly beautiful.  It  (beauty) is subjective of course, but i would say she is one of the most beautiful women in the world  :) 

20 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

I don't lie.

20 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

I lied more when younger,

Hi Walker

I don't suppose you can see that these two comments affirm that you do lie just not as frequently, but then we do not know how much you lied in your youn g years so there can be no realistic comparison as to how much you lie now.

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Mr Walker said:

lol I will take that as good humour.

My wife is 76 years old, and still as beautiful as the day i met her in 1972, which was incredibly beautiful.  It  (beauty) is subjective of course, but i would say she is one of the most beautiful women in the world  :) 

Objectively, of course, that's a lie.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

There is you and then there is Andy. 

No offense to you but you have health require dietary changes, according to your autobiography you pushed the envelope and now have to be very strict. 

No That is the general medical advice to all humans, if they want to stay well fit and healthy. Western people suffer from heart disease almost entirely because the y eat too much for the amount of exercise they get,  and especially  too much sugar and protein. 

14 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Well said.......

And something, that I think should be thought about. If something then is made illegal by law to not do, must mean it had to be evil and wrong to begin with, to cause it to be made illegal. 

Exactly. 

Things like that don't suddenly become evil because a law is introduced. It's why the law is introduced. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

No you wouldn't, and no I don't.

You would then just assume i had googled something that  i have known, and studied on, for 45 years  

I have spent thousands of hours, as a younger person, doing academic studies of the bible, especially the more critical books within it.

My wife studies the bible with  written study guides, and online, for at least an hour every day, has done so for over 60 years,  and we often discuss her studies   

You offer bible studies type interpretations It is apparent in your post. 

Yes, you have spent years in bible studies, it shows.

What doesn’t show is that you have spent years studying academically or know scholarly consensus. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

No That is the general medical advice to all humans, if they want to stay well fit and healthy. Western people suffer from heart disease almost entirely because the y eat too much for the amount of exercise they get,  and especially  too much sugar and protein. 

Breath MW, you have the heart issues not the rest of us,

You didn’t take care of yourself, you overate and didn’t exercise these are your own words.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Exactly.

There is such a thing as 'civil disobedience', wherein one opposes what they feel is an unfair, or unjust law. Rosa Parks leaps to mind.

But many people seem to think that if there is no law AGAINST something, then it is morally acceptable.

I hear this from religious people a lot. They say of there is no God  why behave? With no consequences we could rape pillage and plunder 

Those people need more than a god I think.