Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I don't believe you

Jodie.Lynne

17 hours ago, danydandan said:

Unless you're Country Music fan, if that is the case, that sucks and I feel sorry for you. 

That's extinct. Now it's just a group of urban and suburban rednecks dressing like urban and suburban rednecks.......

Here's some real country boys!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, danydandan said:

Drugs, Sex and Rock 'n' Roll.

Got it. 

Unless you're Country Music fan, if that is the case, that sucks and I feel sorry for you. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

Yep, this thread has run its course.

It's broadened into a delta, with branching streams flowing lazily into the sea.

• Haha 2

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

It's broadened into a delta, with branching streams flowing lazily into the sea.

In other words its become diluted.

Just now, XenoFish said:

In other words its become diluted.

It's morphed into multiple Power Rangers, each with a color-coded magic Rolex.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's morphed into multiple Power Rangers, each with a color-coded magic Rolex.

Boring.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Boring.

Yeah, I'm a Voltron man, myself.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Figured you for a Brony.

No ponies here. I'm third generation Xbox.

• Haha 1

I agree, it's been beaten to death, and has wandered all over the landscape.

But, despite what some may think, I've learned a couple of things from this thread.

Basically, there are some who have a faith, that makes them want to be better than they are.

And, there are some who are desperate to make another believe as they do.

And, that there are some who don't need a 'higher power' to be strive to improve who they are.

It has also taught me that there are some, theists and non-believers, who I would be happy to share a meal & good convo with.

And some, believers & non alike, that I would Taser on sight.

• Haha 4

Just now, XenoFish said:

I'm bored and I find this thread to be trivial. I'm out.

You'll miss the Walk-About.

4 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I agree, it's been beaten to death, and has wandered all over the landscape.

But, despite what some may think, I've learned a couple of things from this thread.

Basically, there are some who have a faith, that makes them want to be better than they are.

And, there are some who are desperate to make another believe as they do.

And, that there are some who don't need a 'higher power' to be strive to improve who they are.

It has also taught me that there are some, theists and non-believers, who I would be happy to share a meal & good convo with.

And some, believers & non alike, that I would Taser on sight.

In other words, they're just representative of people in general. It's always the few bad apples that taint the barrel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

You'll miss the Walk-About.

WARNING!

You have come dangerously close to mentioning "he who shall not be named!"

This is your only warning! Further infractions will result in you imprisonment with Gilbert Godfrey, for a period of no less than 20 years!

:P

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Yeah, I'm a Voltron man, myself.

Battle of the Planets/G-force

myself.

But my real love is "Bubblegum Crises"

• Haha 2

On 18/05/2019 at 6:54 PM, XenoFish said:

In that regard, the animals are smarter.

No they are "dumber", but maybe "happier." 

On 18/05/2019 at 7:00 PM, danydandan said:

I've never seen you apply logic to anything.

Give one example of what you mean.

I use (formal and informal)  logic in everything. 

However logic is a process.

Thus the the outcome of logical thinking varies with the staring  point.

Logic can't lead you to a fact or truth unless the original starting point is correct. 

• Confused 1

On 18/05/2019 at 9:27 PM, DieChecker said:

I've heard that elephants, dolphins and even crows/ravens are all self aware, and can recognize themselves as being individuals.

I've often wondered if elephants have some kind or religion. With the way they grieve over their dead and have what look like ceremonial actions.

Some of the first animals you mention pass what is known as the mirror test, where the y can differentiate self from other. That is a very low level entry point to self awareness ie it  is awareness OF self,but it doesn't mean the animal can think in abstract symbolic or other ways, and thus cant be spiritual, creative, or share the level of intellectual emotions which humans have.  We know of no other animal which has more self awareness or abilty than a 4 year old child, and in many respects, such as sophisticated language, they have much less.

Elephants are interesting, and certainly are worthy of more study.   

On 18/05/2019 at 10:27 PM, Liquid Gardens said:

There is evidences before the event, I'm totally unclear at this point what you think evidence even is.  What term do you use for the fact that the vast majority of planes don't crash?  Looks like evidence to me, and rather potent.  That is overwhelming evidence from which to make a decision, faith is so unneeded in the face of those odds except maybe for the phobic, and that fact doesn't rely on faith at all.  Probability is evidence for future outcomes, everyone operates if that's the case and it's held up pretty well; if that wasn't the case then indeed there'd be a lot more indecision about crossing streets, and Vegas would definitely get very interesting.

You CANNOT have evidences that the particular plane you are on will fly safely and arrive safely, BEFORE the event 

You can have  past experience and you can have theoretical knowldge on flight dynamics etc. but each time oyu step onto a plane you face a totally new scenario.

Past experiences and knowledge mean nothing.

If your past flights had NOT been successful you wouldn't be there to ponder on it. 

Only faith lets you step on board for THIS flight. 

Probability helps, but people rarely use it. (Do you know the probability of the plane you are on crashing, bearing in mind all the unknown variables of that; plane, pilot and airline ?  )

They use faith 

• Like 1

On 18/05/2019 at 11:39 PM, danydandan said:

I'm totally clear, that he has no inclination of what evidence even is..

But he has to stick to his narrative, or his God alien goes away. 

Ive explained (correctly) the nature of evidence. My point is that on any flight past evidences count for nothing  Your current survival only means you were NOT one of those unlucky passengers killed when your plane was shot down, hijacked, lost at sea, or ran into a mountain. 

You HAVE no evidence for a current flight until the flight is completed .

Sorry but my god has nothing to do with this, and cant "go away" because it has its own independent existence, no matter what i believe 

Try reading my posts without your preconceptions about my intelligence, or abilty to discern reality.

Eg You are just boarding a flight. Tell me what evidences you possess that this flight will arrive safely. What do you know about the state of the airplane, the pilot and crew,   or the many other variables like weather, topography, terrorism etc.  

Now it is true that your chance of dying in any single plane fight is about 30 million to one and being in a plane crash is about 11 million to one , But that doesn't  really help you if you happen to board a plane which does crash.  interesting thing is that if you are an american or another westerner that chance (of dying in a plane crash )  goes up to 1 in 200000 (I assume because such people fly much more or maybe its taken over a life time of flying rather than just one flight  ) 

Other sources bring the odds for Americans in particular even higher

Put it another way: Americans have a 1 in 114 chance of dying in a car crash, according to the National Safety Council. The odds of dying in air and space transport incidents, which include private flights and air taxis, are 1 in 9,821. That’s almost three times better chances than you meeting your fate by choking on food.

http://fortune.com/2017/07/20/are-airplanes-safer-than-cars/

None the less When you board a flight you have NO knowldge or evidence to  assure you that THIS flight will arrive safely. You are playing the odds, and that takes faith. 

Edited by Mr Walker

13 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

You CANNOT have evidences that the particular plane you are on will fly safely and arrive safely, BEFORE the event 

Hi Walker

Not everyone worries/thinks about it

14 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

You can have  past experience and you can have theoretical knowldge on flight dynamics etc. but each time oyu step onto a plane you face a totally new scenario.

All I need to know is if my luggage will go to the same place I am at the same time.

15 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Past experiences and knowledge mean nothing.

Depends on the situation

16 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

If your past flights had NOT been successful you wouldn't be there to ponder on it. 

I have been hit by cars 3 times while walking and once while riding a bike so should I assume that the other million cars on the road are driven by incompetent boobs? Crap happens but it is not the norm.

19 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Only faith lets you step on board for THIS flight. 

If I don't think about it why would I need faith as it is a conscious choice?

21 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Probability helps, but people rarely use it. (Do you know the probability of the plane you are on crashing, bearing in mind all the unknown variables of that; plane, pilot and airline ?  )

I suppose those that have a fear of flying might need a soother but most of us just buy a ticket get on and look forward to what we will do when we get there.

22 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

They use faith 

Subjective projection

jmccr8

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 19/05/2019 at 10:56 AM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

I get out of bed because of my eyeballs opened and maybe I don't worry/think about things that much.

jmccr8

Yup But if you  lacked faith that oyu would survive the night you wouldn't go to bed :) 

Plus, of course, while you might not consider all this consciously, your mind is busy calculating odds, making itself  promises and being optimistic. Your faith is so strong that you  don't even think about it consciously, you just act upon it.  

In other words, you are not the simple 'home boy" you present yourselves as. :) 

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

Not everyone worries/thinks about it

All I need to know is if my luggage will go to the same place I am at the same time.

Depends on the situation

I have been hit by cars 3 times while walking and once while riding a bike so should I assume that the other million cars on the road are driven by incompetent boobs? Crap happens but it is not the norm.

If I don't think about it why would I need faith as it is a conscious choice?

I suppose those that have a fear of flying might need a soother but most of us just buy a ticket get on and look forward to what we will do when we get there.

Subjective projection

jmccr8

yep they do, but some use subconscious processing to avoid consciously thinking about it.

A human cant do ANYTHING which requires planning, without some form of mental processing ie thinking 

Your faith in surviving subconsciously releases you from the need to worry (Thats kinda the point I am making) 

No faith; ie belief in a positive outcome, before we can KNOW what that outcome will be.

You believe(in faith) that this plane will not crash, and you will not die. That takes faith.  

Just now, Mr Walker said:

Yup But if you  lacked faith that oyu would survive the night you wouldn't go to bed :)

Hi Walker

Not really, I spent a good part of my life not caring if there is a tomorrow, I woke up had things to do and did them if there is a tomorrow oh well I still have things to do. If I die do you think anyone will get mad at me and how worried about it do you think I should be (after I die:lol:)?

5 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Plus, of course, while you might not consider all this consciously, your mind is busy calculating odds, making itself  promises and being optimistic. Your faith is so strong that you  don't even think about it consciously, you just act upon it.  

Yup, my brain is busy taking care of business and my faith is in myself everything else is what it is.

6 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

In other words, you are not the simple 'home boy" you present yourselves as. :) 

I don't know where you get the idea that I think I am a simple "homeboy", I don't do gang anything and have spent a fair bit of investment time and moneywise to learn the skills that I have.

jmccr8

• Like 1