Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I don't believe you

Jodie.Lynne

49 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

The Romans also could not even fathom Christianity. All they wanted was to have the Emperor recognized as a fellow god. Why would the Christians allow themselves to be killed, and hide (literally) underground, rather than make token offerings to the Emperor?

You can't understand because you have bought into this world. You believe your worldview is the true one, and have firmly planted your flag in it's soil. Not that there anything wrong with that. But your assertions that it is beyond comprehension, or in error, is just your opinion based on your adopted worldview.

Not accusing you, but many say Christians are intolerant. And there is some truth there. But another truth is that many atheists are as intolerant, or more so.

My worldview is Agnostic meaning there isn’t evidence of god one way or the other. So, at this point  I don’t know,

I am open to looking at the evidence and going from there, at this point there isn’t any. 

Meaning my world view would be that the idea of god can only be accepted on faith, which I understand is the Christian way. My personal stance is if it works for you, cool. 

Can I be intolerant, sure I can, but I  save my intolerances (within reason), for practical matters. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I honestly could care less. 

You could, really? 

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

You can't understand because you have bought into this world. You believe your worldview is the true one, and have firmly planted your flag in it's soil. Not that there anything wrong with that. But your assertions that it is beyond comprehension, or in error, is just your opinion based on your adopted worldview.

Not accusing you, but many say Christians are intolerant. And there is some truth there. But another truth is that many atheists are as intolerant, or more so.

Your statement attests to the conviction that your way, and your beliefs are the right ones.

That is understandable. You have a world view based on your belief that a supreme being manifested as a fleshy incarnation, to bring salvation to the dutiful, from a 'fate worse than death', instigated by your creator.

However, your assertion that a realists view is false, and that your believed 'perfect spirit world' view is correct, is based on pure wishful thinking and belief in the unprovable. If that brings you solace, good for you. That does NOT mean that the realists view is inaccurate. That doesn't display intolerance, but rather vanity and arrogance, in my view.

Just the statement "you have bought into this world", sends chills of horror running up my spine. You seem to be one of those believers who think that this life we have is but a stepping stone, a pause, on the way to the "true life".

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

My worldview is Agnostic meaning there isn’t evidence of god one way or the other. So, at this point  I don’t know,

I am open to looking at the evidence and going from there, at this point there isn’t any. 

Meaning my world view would be that the idea of god can only be accepted on faith, which I understand is the Christian way. My personal stance is if it works for you, cool. 

Can I be intolerant, sure I can, but I  save my intolerances (within reason), for practical matters. 

Went back and read your post again. Not as confrontational as I seemed to think it was. :wacko:

Didn't mean offence. Mostly tired misreading.... 

I'd tend to agree with your previous post in that the old will continue to fall away for the new. Hopefully whatever comes on new in religion will be an improvement.

20 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

However, your assertion that a realists view is false, and that your believed 'perfect spirit world' view is correct, is based on pure wishful thinking and belief in the unprovable. If that brings you solace, good for you. That does NOT mean that the realists view is inaccurate. That doesn't display intolerance, but rather vanity and arrogance, in my view.

Touche! Though I believe I've never said I wasn't bias toward religion. It is my world view.

My point wasn't that I am right, but that others can possibly be wrong, based on their world view creating strong bias.

Just the statement "you have bought into this world", sends chills of horror running up my spine. You seem to be one of those believers who think that this life we have is but a stepping stone, a pause, on the way to the "true life".

Not a horrible thing. If you indeed live this life well. Otherwise we may just as well kill our children before they become sinners... assuring them of Heaven.

We have to live this life, and doing so in love, and mercy, and sharing, seems a good way to do it for me. When the Final Judgement comes, I want there to be pages and pages of the things I did right and as little of the things I did wrong as possible. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yes, I couldn't care at all. 

I think "I could not care less" is the greater of the could/couldn't. :lol: :tu:

Because it implies you already are at the lowest caring. "Could" care less implies there is a lower level of caring. 

B)

12 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

My point wasn't that I am right, but that others can possibly be wrong, based on their world view creating strong bias.

I liked your post, it was informative, and I can align with most of what you expressed.

I'm not looking for argument, but may I ask, could your world view 'possibly be wrong'?

I am aware, that this is a "pascal's wager' kind of deal; if you are wrong, you've lost nothing and have (hopefully) lived a good & meaningful life.

I try to live my life helping others, being meaningful, and contributing to the betterment of life in general. 

I think the difference between us is that you are doing it for the 'after party life', while I am doing it without expectation of a reward.

I am NOT claiming the moral high ground in this, just pointing out that believers & non-believers have a different approach towards the same goal.

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I think "I could not care less" is the greater of the could/couldn't. :lol: :tu:

Because it implies you already are at the lowest caring. "Could" care less implies there is a lower level of caring. 

B)

Either way, it was done to illustrate a point. 

• Like 1

I personally feel that it would be better if people kept their faith and spiritual doings between themselves and their god. Isn't that the point really?

• Like 1

You could even look at it in a way where god is only concerned with your spiritual (emotional/psychological) wellbeing and not material wellbeing, that being on us.

Kinda like praying for something vs asking how to do something. 

22 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Not a horrible thing. If you indeed live this life well. Otherwise we may just as well kill our children before they become sinners... assuring them of Heaven.

I am really trying not to be offensive, but there are real life examples of parents who have done this very thing.

If you do a google search for "parents who killed their possessed child" you will, I hope, be horrified at the results. (About 157,000,000 results (0.47 seconds) )

A faith may be beneficial for the majority of believers, but, in my opinion, any faith that could result in such inhumane, evil acts, needs to be examined very closely.

True, the perpetrators of such heinous acts may be mentally unwell, but the fact that they drew their inspiration from their faith, makes one pause.

In another example, one I have not fully researched yet, an American Pastor wants adulterers to be executed. IF this story is true, it shows, again, that believers in an unprovable proposition can be dangerous to the body social.

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Always two there are.... a Master, and an Apprentice. - Yoda

Filthy Sith! A blight on the Galaxy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I liked your post, it was informative, and I can align with most of what you expressed.

I'm not looking for argument, but may I ask, could your world view 'possibly be wrong'?

Could I be wrong? I'd say Yes. Definately. I've said before that I will cling to my faith till I die. BUT, I also realize about myself that if I wake up and am staring at Odin, or Tholth, or Yama, I'll do my best to fast talk my way into that afterlife also.

am aware, that this is a "pascal's wager' kind of deal; if you are wrong, you've lost nothing and have (hopefully) lived a good & meaningful life.

I try to live my life helping others, being meaningful, and contributing to the betterment of life in general. 

I think the difference between us is that you are doing it for the 'after party life', while I am doing it without expectation of a reward.

I am NOT claiming the moral high ground in this, just pointing out that believers & non-believers have a different approach towards the same goal.

I tend to believe I'm not following Jesus because it will get me to Heaven. But because it is the best way to live in this life. Afterlife is the dessert, not the meal. You sit down for the meal, and enjoy the dessert when it shows up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GoldenWolf said:

Must be hard for Satanists to have company over.

Probably a lot of arguing at the get togethers.

Harte

7 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Could I be wrong? I'd say Yes. Definately. I've said before that I will cling to my faith till I die. BUT, I also realize about myself that if I wake up and am staring at Odin, or Tholth, or Yama, I'll do my best to fast talk my way into that afterlife also.

OMG! I think I am in love!  :D

This has to be the most brutally honest response I have ever seen on these boards!

7 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I tend to believe I'm not following Jesus because it will get me to Heaven. But because it is the best way to live in this life. Afterlife is the dessert, not the meal. You sit down for the meal, and enjoy the dessert when it shows up.

So, would I be correct in assuming that you reject the premise that "only by accepting Jesus as your personal savior" can one gain heaven?

If you, as a believer, and I as a non-believer in Jesus, live similar lives, would you gain Paradise, whilst I suffer torment, simply because you bent your knees for Jesus?

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
damned autocorrect!!!!
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Filthy Sith! A blight on the Galaxy!

But, but, they bring balance!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, third_eye said:

Nut is a girl... 

1558506872304.png.cbc01ca7a73f459760608bf0411a88fb.png

~

Who's that looking at the crack of dawn?

Harte

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

OMG! I think I am in love!  :D

This has to be the most brutally honest response I have ever seen on these boards!

And that's why I like Diechecker. You can have good conversations with him. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I am really trying not to be offensive, but there are real life examples of parents who have done this very thing.

If you do a google search for "parents who killed their possessed child" you will, I hope, be horrified at the results. (About 157,000,000 results (0.47 seconds) )

A faith may be beneficial for the majority of believers, but, in my opinion, any faith that could result in such inhumane, evil acts, needs to be examined very closely.

True, the perpetrators of such heinous acts may be mentally unwell, but the fact that they drew their inspiration from their faith, makes one pause.

In another example, one I have not fully researched yet, an American Pastor wants adulterers to be executed. IF this story is true, it shows, again, that believers in an unprovable proposition can be dangerous to the body social.

I think this may be a slightly different issue. Seeking religious aid in someone who may be possessed isn't wrong. Doing it while not seeking mental health aid also is wrong. We have physicians and medical experts for a reason.

People that only pray for extreme conditions to pass deserve to go to prison if the victim dies. 

Someone who wants to execute adulterers would seem to be extreme fringe to me. Jesus taught to forgive and help the sinner, not to be the first to throw the stone. 

True, these religious world views are damaging, even horrible, but really they are the exception. Not to downplay religious abuse and murder too much, but just regular abuse and murder is a much more prevalent thing.

7 minutes ago, Harte said:

Probably a lot of arguing at the get togethers.

Harte

Not as much as you would think.

35 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I personally feel that it would be better if people kept their faith and spiritual doings between themselves and their god. Isn't that the point really?

Matthew 28:19-20 King James Version (KJV)

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Harte

37 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You could even look at it in a way where god is only concerned with your spiritual (emotional/psychological) wellbeing and not material wellbeing, that being on us.

He tells us it's that way.

The Bible is loaded with that.

Harte

6 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Not as much as you would think.

It was a joke - Satan means adversary.

Harte

• Like 1