Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I don't believe you

Jodie.Lynne

Plus I hardly see a point in trying to "learn new things" like that in such a way. Lazy, stupid, both, perhaps still very much apathetic to my continued existence, meh. I don't know. Appreciate it though.

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Nah, I'm kinda iffy about something that wants a lot of my info. Plus I saw psychology not philosophy listed in the free trial. 

You can get first course damn near free you can’t be that cheap. Lol

https://www.straighterline.com/mktg/lp/?subid=01-AF_02-SMCH_03-SCIR_16-NA_04-B2Af2C_05-NA_06-NA_07-NA_14-NA_15-NA_08-NA_09-AF0020_10-AffiliateFirstCourseFree_11-NA_12-NA_13-NA&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=smarterchaos&utm_campaign=AFF0020&st-t=affiliate

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Plus I hardly see a point in trying to "learn new things" like that in such a way. Lazy, stupid, both, perhaps still very much apathetic to my continued existence, meh. I don't know. Appreciate it though.

Your naturally smart, that is why I suggested it. 

It wouldn’t be for everyone, because it is rigorous. 

No worries though.

Just now, XenoFish said:

Why are you pushing this?

Not pushing just showing you that it is close to free.

Moving on. 

Just now, Sherapy said:

Your naturally smart, that is why I suggested it. 

It wouldn’t be for everyone, because it is rigorous. 

No worries though.

I appreciate it I really do and this is the first time you (well anyone) has been this adamant about something towards me.

• Thanks 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

I appreciate it I really do and this is the first time you (well anyone) has been this adamant about something towards me.

I know smart when I see it I guess.

Don't get mad at me, I won’t say anything more. 

:wub:

Just now, Sherapy said:

I know smart when I see it I guess.

Don't get mad at me, I won’t say anything more. 

:wub:

It's not you. I can't get that "little voice" out of my head, okay. No matter what I could do, read 10,000 books a 100 times a piece, build the most powerful galaxy jumping warp engine, solve the worlds problems, and I'd still feel like an idiot. Even if I had an 800 IQ I'd still feel dumb. 

• Sad 1

I think that the only brilliant question I ever came up with is "If god exist. Where did god come from and who/what created it?" that has to be the best thing in my eyes. Because it can't be answered without going into a continuous loop.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It's not you. I can't get that "little voice" out of my head, okay. No matter what I could do, read 10,000 books a 100 times a piece, build the most powerful galaxy jumping warp engine, solve the worlds problems, and I'd still feel like an idiot. Even if I had an 800 IQ I'd still feel dumb. 

Did you hear how stupid you were all the time growing up?

28 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Quit this BS, or I will start to feel sorry for you ! People speak admiringly of those who are "smart", but disparagingly of those they consider "dumb". Which in itself is a bit dumb, because when anyone booms someone up, or denigrates them in those terms, I realise the more apt commentary is " how lucky for him", or "how unlucky for him", because it really ain't something under their control to any great extent. Next time someone is running down another to you, just say "what bad luck for him/her to be afflicted with such a shortcoming", and see the strange look come over their face. But objectively, it is nearer to the truth. Value judgements are often fraught.

28 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Did you hear how stupid you were all the time growing up?

Yes. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

Right, we cannot prove/disprove  god, but we can argue for or against many aspects of infinite perfection. 

When I took Philosophy it was required, the professor assigned many papers where we had to do both. 

The point isn’t to prove god but to use facts when arguing for or against to support the idea of god. 

Most of the posts on here from the religious bunch are silly to say the least.

You would love Philosophy 

https://www.straighterline.com/online-college-courses/humanities/introduction-to-philosophy/

That why other religious people are hazardous to you Faith, each, potentially, causing more damage than any ten atheists. Some people's idea of God is bizarre and infantile. Atheism doesn't seduce people away from religion; religious people drive them away.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yes. 

You must be/have been a sensitive soul to carry that barb through your life. It is not the fashion to be such a person these days, but it is better not to be a fashion victim, either ! 

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

I think that the only brilliant question I ever came up with is "If god exist. Where did god come from and who/what created it?" that has to be the best thing in my eyes. Because it can't be answered without going into a continuous loop.

froot loops.jpg

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Until recently voices were regarded as a symptom of a mental illness and not talked about because of fear of stigma. Hearing voices is still considered by psychiatry as an auditory hallucination and as a symptom of conditions such as schizophrenic disorders, manic depression and psychosis.

40 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

That why other religious people are hazardous to you Faith, each, potentially, causing more damage than any ten atheists. Some people's idea of God is bizarre and infantile. Atheism doesn't seduce people away from religion; religious people drive them away.

Where I'm from we don't seduce anyone. And I doubt you have ever been seduced, but I believe you have been driven off a time or two. Using your gift of gab, eloquently describe an idea or two of a bizarre and infantile God. Put your alter ego on display for me; first provide your non bizarre, adult idea of God, and then religiously drive away the childish idea of my 5 feet 4 inches tall God, Gloria.

30 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm done. Good luck with this thread Jodie. 

Thread and needles!

45 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You must be/have been a sensitive soul to carry that barb through your life. It is not the fashion to be such a person these days, but it is better not to be a fashion victim, either ! 

You have driven him off, religiously!

49 minutes ago, Habitat said:

36 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Atheism doesn't seduce people away from religion; religious people drive them away.

While I agree that some religious zealots can drive people away from religion, or faith, I don't think that is THE reason.

For some of us, there is an entire tapestry of illogic that drives us away, due to the fact that there are no satisfactory answers given to our questions. And the oft heard response to "Why?" being "God works in mysterious ways", is no answer.

Someone above stated that "Jesus died for your sins, but you have to confess your sins to be forgiven". But.... if 'god' is all knowing, then he knows your sins. Yes? If so, then the god-son's sacrifice to the god-father should extirpate the sin and 'confession' is meaningless. However, asking for forgiveness for one's sins is another issue entirely. "I confess that I did not take others feelings into consideration when I did what I did" is a far cry from "I am sorry for what I did, please forgive me". 

Earlier, I used the example of someone paying your debt for you, no strings attached.  Allow me to expand on it.

If YOU, HC, owed a debt for 1 million dollars, and I come up and say "Don't worry, the debt is gone, I took care of it for you.  Forget about it, and be prosperous!", the debt is handled, yes? 

Now, you may 'feel' indebted to me, but if I stipulated that I did it because I loved you, and to just go and live life, and I feel you owe me nothing. Do you still have a debt?

And, if I said that you owed me nothing, but then came to you later and told you "I need you to do something for me, remember how I wiped out your debt because I love you?", was my gift all that beneficent? And, if I did my act of kindness for an ulterior motive (lets say I wanted to thwart your debtor, for whatever reason), is my action a 'good' one?

While I am no Stephen Hawking, I do consider myself somewhat educated and fairly intelligent. I read, a lot. One that differentiates good stories from bad ones is a sense of consistent, internal logic.  Harry Potter is "believable", in a story sense, because things happen for a reason (magic). The magic works, and we can accept the outcomes, because it is logically consistent with the parameters of the Potter-verse.

Likewise, we can accept the actions and adventures of Captain America and the Avengers, because there is a sense of continuity and internal logic to the tale.

However, for me, the majority of tales and explanations for the actions and existence of gods lacks this internal logic and consistency.  "God" can do what it wants, 'because', with no rhyme or reason. If 'god' needs to do something that has not been demonstrated beforehand, he just can. Because, "god, duh!" But that same god cannot do something that runs counters to it's own desires or creations.  To which: god creates creature which act in opposition to their creators wishes, allowing 'sin' to enter the world.

'God" declares that sin and sinners must be punished. But, supposedly, this is a caring, loving being and is heartsick that its creations must suffer because of the rules that it has put in place. So, rather than contacting its creations and re-writing the rules and punishments, or abolishing these penalties altogether, the 'creator' has to violate a young woman (without her consent!) in order to manifest as one of its own creation, in order to suffer and die, to exploit a vague loophole in its own law, to circumvent its own dictates. And then claims that it has saved humanity from himself, and all debts are paid in full. Except, they are not and you are still subject to the same old law & punishments.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

You have driven him off, religiously!

All my fault ? 

6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

All my fault ? 

Let us blame God, the cause for everything.

“I have often wondered how it is that every man loves himself more than all the rest of men, but yet sets less value on his own opinion of himself than on the opinion of others.”
Marcus Aurelius