Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I don't believe you

Jodie.Lynne

32 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

True Charity is not measured by the largest monetary quantity, but by the sacrifice of the self. As far as the Christians go, and what Jesus taught, when it comes to money given as charity, there are no true Christians, unless all is given.

As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. 2He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. 3“Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. 4All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.” .

Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18“Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “ ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother,’ c and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’ d

20“All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

21Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Then, to honor Jesus, you should sell your computer.

Just trying to help you get to heaven...

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sword of the LORD said:

Part of the reason believers continue to try and prove the existence of God is because their Scriptures command evangelization. 

:rolleyes:

Yup, that's why members of the Assemblies of God were burning down our Pipe Keepers' Houses and our Mide Huts back in 2000. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sword of the LORD said:

Belief is what also provides comfort, peace, and hope for the future to untold millions. Belief in God has resulted in putting others before oneself, Christians donate more to charity than any other demographic. I am sure there are similar statistics for other religious faiths. Belief in God provides peace to those on their death bed, and comfort to those who have lost a loved one. Faith does have untold merits. 

Not so fast, you are offering an emotional rationale for the beleif in god, not an argument for god. 

Using dangling biblical quotes is meaningless. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pettytalk said:

True Charity is not measured by the largest monetary quantity, but by the sacrifice of the self. As far as the Christians go, and what Jesus taught, when it comes to money given as charity, there are no true Christians, unless all is given.

Well, you certainly have a lot to give away.....

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Then, to honor Jesus, you should sell your computer.

Just trying to help you get to heaven...

I'm already in heaven when you quote me.

13 minutes ago, Piney said:

Well, you certainly have a lot to give away.....

Yes I do! I'm no foolish Christian! Money is the root of all evil, but in this evil world I say keep your hands off of my stack. I'm a Pink Floydian, anyway.

30 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Not so fast, you are offering an emotional rationale for the beleif in god, not an argument for god. 

Using dangling biblical quotes is meaningless. 

Not if one knows the meaning.

11 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Money is the root of all evil

Actually, the saying is:

"The love of money is the root of all evil"

A lot of people get that wrong. It's like a gun - neither good, nor evil, but depends on the motives of the user. N'est pas?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harte said:

Wikipedia? Give me some of that fried chicken, as there I can really sink my teeth into. But, I get it straight from the horse's mouth, because I talk to Jesus like I talk to myself, and he said that the cross was hell enough for him, and he ain't going to hell for anybody, Christian or no Christian.

11 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Actually, the saying is:

"The love of money is the root of all evil"

A lot of people get that wrong. It's like a gun - neither good, nor evil, but depends on the motives of the user. N'est pas?

YES YOU ARE RIGHT. But if there was no money at all there would not be any love for it. And the same can be said of guns, or of any other instrument with which injury can be made. Unfortunately that old saying is very true, iron can be forged into plowshares or swords. The old good versus evil dilemma, and it's always left to us to choose. Many times though it's a choice of the lesser evil, as it's still wrong to shoot and kill anyone, even in self defense. Self preservation compels us to do wrong at times. And only just a handful of persons can turn the other cheek in such extreme testing situations. Just as with those very few that will sell all they have, give the money to the poor, and then still be willing to take up their cross and follow Jesus' other examples, besides.

"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's and unto God, the things that are God's." There's a little Caesar in all of us.

Little-Caesar-1931-classic-movies-328761

13 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

as it's still wrong to shoot and kill anyone, even in self defense.

I truly, sincerely hope that you will never find yourself in a position to have to defend either your own life, or that of someone you care for.

If self defense is wrong, in your words, then even running from a life threatening event is wrong. And frankly, that notion is b******s. But I believe that you are speaking out of your hindquarters, in order to sound noble, philosophical, and pious.

Here is a pop quiz:

What is a lethal instrument, or lethal weapon?

Answer: ANY item, or thing, that is used to cause the death of another.

16 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Just as with those very few that will sell all they have, give the money to the poor, and then still be willing to take up their cross and follow Jesus' other examples, besides.

So I take it that you are not one of the 'very few', you preach, but don't follow your own words. Rather like a televangelist who exhorts the faithful to give up what they cannot spare, while living a life of opulence.

• Like 2

Just now, XenoFish said:

Pizza, pizza. :lol:

Pan. Pan.:rofl:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Harte said:

They say Jesus went and got them out.

Harte

Yeah. Thus they needed Jesus. :lol: He had to die to go get them. So, he did die for those ancient people's sins.

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I'd tend to agree... Considering these beliefs are held most strongly by those most likely to act. Though I think this is a human trait, not a religious one. Any strongly held belief... Political, educational, societal, or otherwise will instigate a greater response, the greater the person holds that belief. 

4 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Yes I do! I'm no foolish Christian! Money is the root of all evil, but in this evil world I say keep your hands off of my stack. I'm a Pink Floydian, anyway.

Doesn't that depend on if you believe in Satan/Lucifer/Enemy? Then is Satan the originator of money?

Christian charitable giving.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/30/religious-people-more-likely-give-charity-study/

Newly released data show that the religious among us are more likely to give to charities than those who do not identify with a faith tradition.

The data result from the Philanthropy Panel Study, an ongoing project at the University of Indiana’s Lilly Family School of Philanthropy that tracks U.S. household giving.

David King, director of the Institute on Faith & Giving at the school, said the “Giving USA Special Report on Giving to Religion,” released on Oct. 26 by The Giving Institute, reaffirms what many researchers in the field have long known: that there is a “substantial connection between religion and giving.”

https://www.philanthropyroundtable.org/almanac/statistics/who-gives

It is easy to think of philanthropy as something done by the very wealthy, or big foundations, or prosperous companies. Actually, of the $358 billion that Americans gave to charity in 2014, only 14 percent came from foundation grants, and just 5 percent from corporations. The rest—81 percent—came from individuals.

And among individual givers in the U.S., while the wealthy do their part (as you’ll see later in this essay), the vast predominance of offerings come from average citizens of moderate income. Six out of ten U.S. households donate to charity in a given year, and the typical household’s annual gifts add up to between two and three thousand dollars.

Surprisingly, people who volunteer at secular organizations are a bit undergiving, in regressions of the PSID statistics. Meanwhile, persons who volunteer at religious organizations are dramatically bigger donors of money.

Religious practice is the behavioral variable most consistently associated with generous giving. Charitable effort correlates strongly with the frequency with which a person attends religious services. Evangelical Protestants and Mormons in particular are strong givers. Compared to Protestant affiliation, both Catholic affiliation and Jewish affiliation reduce the scope of average giving, when other influences are held constant.

Finer-grain numbers from the PSID show that the faithful don’t just give to religious causes; they are also much more likely to give to secular causes than the non-religious. Among Americans who report that they “never” attend religious services, just less than half give any money at all to secular causes. People who attend services 27-52 times per year, though, give money to secular charities in two thirds of all cases. (See page 1138.)

11 hours ago, Sword of the LORD said:

Okay, let's have a rational discussion. Part of the reason believers continue to try and prove the existence of God is because their Scriptures command evangelization. 

If God commanded you to kill, would you?

31 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

If God commanded you to kill, would you?

Either way, you are screwed if you do and screwed if you don't.

Well, if God told you to I'm sure you'd get away with it.

9 minutes ago, Opus Magnus said:

Well, if God told you to I'm sure you'd get away with it.

No, sure aren't you then breaking a commandment, and then how are you supposed to know if it's a test or not?

Just ask God why he needs you to do the killing. Why am I thinking people here have terminal incapacity to think outside the anthropomorphic ?