Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I don't believe you

Jodie.Lynne

19 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

In argumentation, one must include what the intended meaning is for the quote they are citing, we don’t know what point you are wanting/trying to make.

We are not mind readers it is up to you to make this clear.

When you don’t it comes across as preaching. 

Therefore according to you, if it's not clear it has to be preaching? Interesting concept that I don't understand. Are you therefore preaching to me?

Let me make it clear, as clear as clear can be....I could not care less if we all go to hell, if there is a hell to go to after the hell we already live through on earth. I don't preach as I'm not fit nor worthy to stand on the pulpit and tell others what they should do about good and evil, or about anything that can be considered worthy of preaching. However, I may prophesy a little, here and there, but do not confuse it with preaching.

My point was to point out that any writing that elicits various interpretations is by nature not clear to everyone, and not understood in the same way. You see meaninglessness where others see meaning. If you were a philosophy student you must have learned a little of dialectic. And the use of it would have made it clear to you, that everyone does not cut the muster in the same way, and therefore gives rise to different parts and opinions. And when it becomes clear to you that every human is capable of having and giving only opinions, then you may be on your way to really understanding true philosophy, and hopefully, go that little extra too, and get out of the cave of shadows so as to get a glimpse at reality..

Only God knows!

Socrates.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Apparently the rules are you can only bring up the Bible when it directly pertains to the subject at hand. AKA don't derail threads.

2 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Therefore according to you, if it's not clear it has to be preaching? Interesting concept that I don't understand. Are you therefore preaching to me?

Let me make it clear, as clear as clear can be....I could not care less if we all go to hell, if there is a hell to go to after the hell we already live through on earth. I don't preach as I'm not fit nor worthy to stand on the pulpit and tell others what they should do about good and evil, or about anything that can be considered worthy of preaching. However, I may prophesy a little, here and there, but do not confuse it with preaching.

My point was to point out that any writing that elicits various interpretations is by nature not clear to everyone, and not understood in the same way. You see meaninglessness where others see meaning. If you were a philosophy student you must have learned a little of dialectic. And the use of it would have made it clear to you, that everyone does not cut the muster in the same way, and therefore gives rise to different parts and opinions. And when it becomes clear to you that every human is capable of having and giving only opinions, then you may be on your way to really understanding true philosophy, and hopefully, go that little extra too, and get out of the cave of shadows so as to get a glimpse at reality..

Only God knows!

Socrates.

Wonderful, you get it. 

I am asking that you bring facts and clarity to your opinions so I can understand your perspective and the meaning you are trying to convey and share.

I appreciate that you took the time to address this.

I now have a better understanding of your perspective. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

LOL,  It has been a long time since I read those guys.  Sorry for the mispellings.  I like Kierkegarrd better than Descartes but I don't remember much.  Just thought to suggest whomever it was that they could find out what philosophy is.

Lol, that you of your own volition read these philosophers is astounding.

I agree with you on Descartes, I found him to be a tough one to grasp. 

The spelling made me giggle cuz that is something I would have done too. Ha ha ha ha ha 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Mr. Walker, the math just doesn’t add up.

Just let it go, you only cast doubt on your credibility at this point.

By the way, you might want to do a search of your past posts, you have bragged quite consistently that in order to lessen your carbon footprint you have never owned a new car. 

The maths DOES add up. It is your mind set about things which prevents you seeing and accepting this 

The maths clearly added up because on the income and assets i have discussed we gave away over 1 million dollars over 43 years of marriage and continue to give away about 20% of our income as pensioners.

we were lucky /blessed to live in a time when we did and to have people leave us money. However we were frugal, invested wisely and made money form other things. Eg when i started teaching i was making as much money form selling Amway as i was from teaching having built up a distributorship while i was at uni  We got an income from the farm for  hay and wool  We bought poddy calves for 30 dollars and sold them as yearlings for over 1000  and made quite a lot from property We bought a town block in a seaside country town when it was opened up for 7200 dollars and sold it 10 years later for 70000  We live very comfortably today on the age pension plus a bit of super (40000  a year) and in the past of course we lived on a lot less in dollar terms So today fr example if i was working we would be giving awy over 60000 a year plus the abilty to re give some of this  this when we got our tax return 

It would annoy me, if it didn't amuse me so much that, you are so mean spirited that you cannot believe that some people have little use for material things, and prefer to help others to have a better life 

We lacked fr nothing in our life, that we needed, and lived very comfortably However we didnt go on holidays and we didn't waste money on unnecessary luxuries 

to give one example I bought 4 pairs of trousers in 2005 from insurance money They cost almost 300 dollars. I didnt need t buy any more trousers until 2018. I went to the charity shop and bought 3 pairs for 5 dollars each and paid 5 dollars to have the hems taken up. The trousers were basically brand new and will last me until i die 

We were not unique Among our families and friends some have given more than we did, especially  as a proportion of their income.

Maybe if we had dependent children we might have saved more to help them in life, but while we do help out many of our foster kids with financial help, we never had to put them through university or set them up for life 

I dont believe i said i NEVER owned a new car although you might have assumed that from what i wrote 

Ive owned 2 new cars in 50 years. the ford panel van, and a Toyota corolla. 

The van didn't work out as a family car and so we sold it and bought a second hand sedan.  Since then we have bought second hand cars, except for the corolla which lasted us 10 years and 350000 kilometers. I paid 20000 dollars for it and got 5000 dollars back on it as a trade in

What i did say is that we tend to buy second hand things so that nothing new needs to be produced to supply us. On the other hand sometimes a deal is too good to pass up The corrola was a discontinued model and we saved thousands on it. It was fuel efficient and reliable 

We also had a toyota tray top utility for the farm, which lasted us for 20 years, and had 3  reconditioned  motors  over the  time   

I know you wont accept this, so this response is to other readers   to give them the truth.

I don't hold your lifestyle against you in a personal sense  although, given you have children, you must realise it is not sustainable and you are contributing to the destruction of the planet.   

That is your choice. We chose a different way of living, not just to help others, but to reduce our ecological footprint to a sustainable level , which we have  done.    

52 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

The maths DOES add up. It is your mind set about things which prevents you seeing and accepting this 

The maths clearly added up because on the income and assets i have discussed we gave away over 1 million dollars over 43 years of marriage and continue to give away about 20% of our income as pensioners.

we were lucky /blessed to live in a time when we did and to have people leave us money. However we were frugal, invested wisely and made money form other things. Eg when i started teaching i was making as much money form selling Amway as i was from teaching having built up a distributorship while i was at uni  We got an income from the farm for  hay and wool  We bought poddy calves for 30 dollars and sold them as yearlings for over 1000  and made quite a lot from property We bought a town block in a seaside country town when it was opened up for 7200 dollars and sold it 10 years later for 70000  We live very comfortably today on the age pension plus a bit of super (40000  a year) and in the past of course we lived on a lot less in dollar terms So today fr example if i was working we would be giving awy over 60000 a year plus the abilty to re give some of this  this when we got our tax return 

It would annoy me, if it didn't amuse me so much that, you are so mean spirited that you cannot believe that some people have little use for material things, and prefer to help others to have a better life 

We lacked fr nothing in our life, that we needed, and lived very comfortably However we didnt go on holidays and we didn't waste money on unnecessary luxuries 

to give one example I bought 4 pairs of trousers in 2005 from insurance money They cost almost 300 dollars. I didnt need t buy any more trousers until 2018. I went to the charity shop and bought 3 pairs for 5 dollars each and paid 5 dollars to have the hems taken up. The trousers were basically brand new and will last me until i die 

We were not unique Among our families and friends some have given more than we did, especially  as a proportion of their income.

Maybe if we had dependent children we might have saved more to help them in life, but while we do help out many of our foster kids with financial help, we never had to put them through university or set them up for life 

I dont believe i said i NEVER owned a new car although you might have assumed that from what i wrote 

The van didn't work out as a family car and so we sold it and bought a second hand sedan.  Since then we have bought second hand cars, except for the corolla which lasted us 10 years and 350000 kilometers. I paid 20000 dollars for it and got 5000 dollars back on it as a trade in

What i did say is that we tend to buy second hand things so that nothing new needs to be produced to supply us. On the other hand sometimes a deal is too good to pass up The corrola was a discontinued model and we saved thousands on it. It was fuel efficient and reliable 

We also had a toyota tray top utility for the farm, which lasted us for 20 years, and had 3  reconditioned  motors  over the  time   

I know you wont accept this, so this response is to other readers   to give them the truth.

I don't hold your lifestyle against you in a personal sense  although, given you have children, you must realise it is not sustainable and you are contributing to the destruction of the planet.   

That is your choice. We chose a different way of living, not just to help others, but to reduce our ecological footprint to a sustainable level , which we have  done.    

My lifestyle what do you know about my lifestyle? Lol

You change your stories so much, depending on who you are talking to. 

There isn’t a poster asking for your history.

I think you look for posts that give you an opportunity to brag about yourself. Yawn.

As far as your life being the most sustainable, I fail to see what you are basing this on. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

My lifestyle what do you know about my lifestyle? Lol

You change your stories so much, depending on who you are talking to. 

There isn’t a poster asking for your history.

I think you look for posts that give you an opportunity to brag about yourself. Yawn.

As far as your life being the most sustainable, I fail to see what you are basing this on. 

why do you fuel him?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

why do you fuel him?

Like it or not he has as much the right to post as much anyone else. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Like it or not he has as much the right to post as much anyone else. 

all due respect but you didn't answer the question 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

all due respect but you didn't answer the question 

All due respect, I won’t be. 

I responded to a post that was written to me and will continue to do so. 

I don’t agree with Walker often, if at all, but he is a valued member of UM. 

If you choose not to “fuel” him so be it. 

Sound fair?

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I don’t agree with Walker often, if at all, 

yeah, therefore, i'm asking why you bother replying?=i'm not having a go i'm just interested as to why- what's the point? 

• Haha 1

@Dejarma

MW offers counter arguments, an opportunity for me: to recognize flaws in logic, biases, opinions opposed to facts, anecdotal tales in place of evidence, to listen and read actively, to pay attention to details, It keeps my critical skills honed and this practice reminds me to be humble. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sherapy said:

you have bragged quite consistently that in order to lessen your carbon footprint you have never owned a new car. 

You can find it in the archives ?

• Sad 1

Just now, Habitat said:

You can find it in the archives ?

Habs., where you been?

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Habs., where you been?

Not far away !

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

@Dejarma

MW offers counter arguments, an opportunity for me: to recognize flaws in logic, biases, opinions opposed to facts, anecdotal tales in place of evidence, to listen and read actively, to pay attention to details, It keeps my critical skills honed and this practice reminds me to be humble. 

To Sir, With Love!

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Lurking, lol:P

Just have the occasional look, it is like the Bold and the Beautiful, you can miss a few episodes without losing the drift of the story.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

To Sir, With Love!

No no, this song is dedicated to a dear dear dear  Professor friend of mine.

Who truly is “To Sirr With Love.”

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

:lol:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha good one!!!!

”It was 99 cents”

“I am gonna pop some tags, only got twenty dollars in my pocket”

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Habitat said:

Just have the occasional look, it is like the Bold and the Beautiful, you can miss a few episodes without losing the drift of the story.

Great way to look at UM, Lol.

Are the soaps still on? It has been years since I have watched, lol.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Habitat said:

You watch the bold and the beautiful??? 

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

whomever it was

Is it me, by any chance?

By the time I get to Phoenix we'll all know, really, what philosophy is. But really, philosophy is nothing other than the "love of truth", and really, truth is reality. We are all actually sleeping and only dreaming of reality. And most of those that are addressed as philosophers, especially many of those of our more recent ones considered greatest among them, are perhaps in a deeper sleep and dream state than the rest of the world, and know reality least of all. When the world will suddenly awaken, in an instant, a twinkling of an eye, to the day of reality, it will hit us square in the face, and we'll all be laughing out loud for about 14 billion years or so, before it's time to go to sleep again, and dream another dream. Considering that in our realm of eternity a night, or a day, lasts that long.

39 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

You watch the bold and the beautiful??? 

Sorry to disappoint you, but no, I don't watch any "soaps". But I do occasionally catch the end of B & B just before the news. Who could forget Ridge and Brooke.

• Haha 2