Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I don't believe you

Jodie.Lynne

8 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I'm not very knowledgeable about much relating to 'quantum' so I'm not sure why we would expect it to not be possible.  I thought we couldn't completely describe every quantum state due to Heisenberg but I don't know enough to even define what a 'quantum state' is so I'm probably not referring to the same thing.

The quantum state is one of indecision, a state of uncertainty...energy or matter? Soul or body? God or physical nature? However, any observation will bias the decision.

Basically, a Quantum state is one of nothingness, if there is any doubt about it.  Mathematically, God is the theory of everything, as he is responsible for everything, and also since He combines the macro and the micro, to make us feel the furry stuff made by His mathematical laws. These laws govern both the world of the macro and also the world of the micro.  

23 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Enjoy the good times.

Prepare the best you can for the worst of times.

Do your best and keep your expectations low.

Whatever good you wish to do, do it without reward, do it because you can.

Pursue that which is meaningful to you, because it is meaningful to you.

Simply live your life to the best of your abilities.

There. No science, no math, just my thoughts and feelings on this subject. I'm no genius. Never was the smartest person in the group, but here it is. 

That sounds like a Plan to me.

In a world without a plan, one said to have come about by mere random chance, and without a reason, why does it have to be meaningful whatsoever, even for the self?

Why not prepare the worst you can for the best of times? Etc., etc.

Don't demeanor yourself, as you, as well as all of mankind are geniuses, except for me, as I'm too heavy for the IQ scale.

But seriously, it's a very humble way to put it; "Simply live your life to the best of your abilities."

Now I, Callicles, am persuaded of the truth of these things, and I consider
how I shall present my soul whole and undefiled before the judge in that day.
Renouncing the honours at which the world aims, I desire only to know the
truth, and to live as well as I can, and, when I die, to die as well as I can.

16 hours ago, Guyver said:

Great.  So why is it our maker doesn’t reveal himself to us except inside our own imaginations?

Grrrrrrrrreat! says Tony the tiger. The great wisdom of Solomon has not taught you much, if you have to keep asking me for the answers.

56 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

The quantum state is one of indecision, a state of uncertainty...energy or matter? Soul or body? God or physical nature? However, any observation will bias the decision.

Basically, a Quantum state is one of nothingness, if there is any doubt about it.  Mathematically, God is the theory of everything, as he is responsible for everything, and also since He combines the macro and the micro, to make us feel the furry stuff made by His mathematical laws. These laws govern both the world of the macro and also the world of the micro.  

That's NOT what a quantum state is, to whit:

Definition of quantum state

: any of various states of a physical system (such as an electron) that are specified by particular values of attributes (such as charge and spin) of the system and are characterized by a particular energy

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quantum state

Mathematically, God ISN'T a theory of anything as there is no mathematically proof of God's existance. You're making crap up. 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Why do abstract logical thought processes apply to physical reality? Why does the universe correspond to this process?

Harte

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Harte said:

Why do abstract logical thought processes apply to physical reality? Why does the universe correspond to this process?

Harte

Simple, abstraction is cool. 

But abstraction is based on first principles, first principles is based on our observations. Our observations are based on a physical reality, so in an infinite loop. Abstraction is really the most logical way to think about reality. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cormac mac airt said:

You're making crap up. 

Not me, God makes things up.

I suppose I could have used wiki to give, quickly, what you wanted for a quantum state. But since you don't know what I'm talking about, I guess your perspective for the state of quantum you wanted to see makes sense to you. But then you believe you live in a real world, when in fact you don't, thanks to God, mathematically speaking. Any virtual world can be easily constructed mathematically. All is needed is a Mathematician, God.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_state

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/existence-of-god-rational-arguments-mathematics-human-consciousness-a7739841.html

1 hour ago, Pettytalk said:

Not me, God makes things up.

I suppose I could have used wiki to give, quickly, what you wanted for a quantum state. But since you don't know what I'm talking about, I guess your perspective for the state of quantum you wanted to see makes sense to you. But then you believe you live in a real world, when in fact you don't, thanks to God, mathematically speaking. Any virtual world can be easily constructed mathematically. All is needed is a Mathematician, God.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_state

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/existence-of-god-rational-arguments-mathematics-human-consciousness-a7739841.html

A trained economist, second link, should stick with what he knows, which isn’t quantum mechanics or the mathematics related to same. 

cormac

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Harte said:

Harte

I'm not a physicist, quantum or otherwise, but isn't that statement backwards?

The universe doesn't correspond to our theories, but our theories reflect what we see of the universe and how it works?

And, from what I have heard, our 'laws' of physics may only apply to our local universe. For all we know, there may be an area of the universe where our laws (like gravity) may work in complete opposition to what we know.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

For all we know, there may be an area of the universe where our laws (like gravity) may work in complete opposition to what we know.

I've toyed with that idea. A molecule as big as a basketball. But gravity and spacetime are tied together, as gravity is a "dent" in spacetime  so I think it's a constant that doesn't change. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

I've toyed with that idea. A molecule as big as a basketball. But gravity and spacetime are tied together, as gravity is a "dent" in spacetime  so I think it's a constant that doesn't change. 

As far as we know, you are correct. Engaging GEEK-mode for a moment....

In an episode of Star Trek, the original series, the character Spock makes a statement:

If I let go of a hammer on a planet that has a positive gravity, I need not see it fall to know that it has in fact fallen.

Which would indicate that a planet may have a negative gravity.

Granted, this is a fictional character stating something as a fact, but it illustrates that there may be areas of the universe that do not act as we expect them to.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Which would indicate that a planet may have a negative gravity.

Gravity is neither positive or negative. That science is out of date. There are sub-atomic particles that are so small they don't affect spacetime though. They literally produce no gravity and stand "outside" of time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I'm not a physicist, quantum or otherwise, but isn't that statement backwards?

The universe doesn't correspond to our theories, but our theories reflect what we see of the universe and how it works?

And, from what I have heard, our 'laws' of physics may only apply to our local universe. For all we know, there may be an area of the universe where our laws (like gravity) may work in complete opposition to what we know.

There's reams and reams of math that has been done over the last several centuries that had no purpose at all - it was done just for the sake of doing it.

But that old "abstract" math was later found to be descriptive of things that were unknown at the time it was developed.

Harte

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Harte said:

There's reams and reams of math that has been done over the last several centuries that had no purpose at all - it was done just for the sake of doing it.

But that old "abstract" math was later found to be descriptive of things that were unknown at the time it was developed.

Harte

And? Do you conclude that the universe conformed to the mathematics? Or that those early mathematic scribblers may have intuited some order in the cosmos?

Da Vinci is said to have created designs for armoured tanks and Helicopters. Did reality conform to his designs, or was he a visionary?

I don't conclude anything from it. I just pointed out that it was an open question.

Harte

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Mind you this is the same moronic God who gets worried when humans start building towers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

And? Do you conclude that the universe conformed to the mathematics? Or that those early mathematic scribblers may have intuited some order in the cosmos?

Da Vinci is said to have created designs for armoured tanks and Helicopters. Did reality conform to his designs, or was he a visionary?

Just wanted to also point out that mathematics' connection with observation is counting only.

From the principle of counting things, all other mathematics has been derived.

While it's true that a lot of famous mathematicians are better known as scientists, the fact is that advanced mathematics predates even the idea of science by a thousand years or more. Muslims were using all six trig functions to find sides and angles in any triangle around 500 C.E.(it only takes 3.) Algebra was very highly developed even before then.

Anyway, since all mathematics arises from counting, one could argue that this means the universe is "countable." But that's actually a circular argument in that it posits that all mathematics - every bit in every field of mathematics - is applicable to some physical situation in reality. Maybe the universe is only partially countable. That would make it uncountable.

Harte

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2019 at 11:33 AM, Pettytalk said:

Grrrrrrrrreat! says Tony the tiger. The great wisdom of Solomon has not taught you much, if you have to keep asking me for the answers.

There are no answers.  There is only what we think the answers may be.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 5:39 PM, psyche101 said:

71768879c37b348463ce62b9a9a47dac99c697e2

Well, to be fair, that was like Bill Nye debating a toaster... Mr Ham is many things, but a good debater isn't one of them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/15/2019 at 11:47 AM, XenoFish said:

Enjoy the good times.

Prepare the best you can for the worst of times.

Do your best and keep your expectations low.

Whatever good you wish to do, do it without reward, do it because you can.

Pursue that which is meaningful to you, because it is meaningful to you.

Simply live your life to the best of your abilities.

There. No science, no math, just my thoughts and feelings on this subject. I'm no genius. Never was the smartest person in the group, but here it is. 

NO SCIENCE! Don't you know you need PROOFS! 

HA HA! Actually I like that philosophy. :tu:

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

Well, to be fair, that was like Bill Nye debating a toaster... Mr Ham is many things, but a good debater isn't one of them.

It's also worth pointing out out the topic of the debate. In this case it was focused mostly on Evolution. Mr Ham has book written 4000-1000 years ago, with about five or six vague references to the possible age of the Earth. 

My Nye has literally tonnes and tonnes of physical evidence and scientific research/theory to back up his stance.

In all honesty, even if you knew nothing relating to the topic. Who's opinion would you give the most credence to? Then after the debate, did your opinion of the topic change? 

Anyways I don't know/ think this a fair example of a topic religious beliefs can even argue for. Science has nothing to do with Religious beliefs ( unless you're talking about sociology or something, or mental health.) and visa versa.

• Like 5

I wonder who will be more surprised on judgement day, the atheists or the believers?

I think that there will be plenty of time in hell to continue these maddening discussions between the two sides.

"Those whom God wishes to destroy, he first makes mad."

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

30 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

I wonder who will be more surprised on judgement day, the atheists or the believers?

I think that there will be plenty of time in hell to continue these maddening discussions between the two sides.

17518190.gif

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Neither. We  be dead. 

I hear it ain't a bad place to be 

"Those whom God wishes to destroy, he first makes mad."

That's, entrapment isn't it? 

He sounds like a jerk.

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

Sayeth the fool or he who hath been fooled? 

• Thanks 2