Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Jodie.Lynne

I don't believe you

143 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

freetoroam
On 24/02/2019 at 7:20 AM, Habitat said:

Tedious, perhaps, but is the bolded not true to say ? I certainly would understand having someone telling you that you must hand your life over to Jesus (as if he needs another one to baby-sit !), would be tedious, even very annoying, but I don't understand how simple acceptance of the proposition in the quote box, would be a problem.

Oh its not a problem.  

I was sitting outside work one day having my coffee and was approached by a Jesus person from the happy clappy church,, very nice lady, but she just would not have it that i did not want her leaflet as i do not believe. It was all very amicable, but boy did keep going on..until she realised i was not budging and when i questioned her about evolusion and nature, she then decided to call it a day. Cheeky mare then said "may god be with you" as she walked off, i just laughed.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Habitat
9 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

as she walked off, i just laughed.

Not too derisively, one hopes !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
On 2/20/2019 at 6:11 PM, Mr Walker said:

eligion/ faith/belief is often not really even about an after life but abut how to enjoy life on earth and make the world a better place, while you live 

Hi Walker

Exactly the reason that I am single and not married to a god.

jmccr8

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
On 2/20/2019 at 6:15 PM, Mr Walker said:

Why would we argue ?

Hi Walker

On the chance that you 2 are the only ones left standing.:lol:

jmccr8

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
On 2/20/2019 at 6:20 PM, Mr Walker said:

Why would Christianity collapse without miracles?

Buddhism didn't.

  Christianity can be, and is for many, a way of living, not a belief about miracles or life after death. It is known as a social gospel  and is  more predominant in Australia than Christianity based on miracles or eternal life.  

Hi Walker

Without the miracle of Christ the bible is pointless and as seen in these threads there is still some issue if Jesus was the Christ an opinion which is seen as a rejection of miracles in some circles that denies the truth of the book.

jmccr8

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
On 2/21/2019 at 1:46 AM, Unfortunately said:

That's an absolutely wonderful question, great post. Had to actually stop and have a good think about this.

For me personally, I consider the whole debate as more of an investigation. I tend to be quite skeptical about things and try to follow what verifiable evidence I can find (although I do still try to keep an open mind in regards to the absence of evidence if the person presents an intelligent/rational argument). As for arguing with people, it's a way for me to try and point out anything I believe to be flaws in their arguments as well as having others do the same for my own arguments. I like to pick everyone else's brain for why they believe what they do and compare it to my own beliefs.

I'm not out there to try and change anyone's mind, just trying to figure things out for myself. ^_^

Hey Unfortunately

Wow (not woo) glad to see you back how is life?

jmccr8

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
On 2/21/2019 at 5:57 PM, Mr Walker said:

Not necessary  No two humans have an EXACT same construct about anything or any body. 

Hi Walker

Thanks for the heads up, I spent a month standing in a 2'x2' closet with a 1000 watt grow lamp on waiting to get healed from smoking.:whistle:

jmccr8

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
On 2/25/2019 at 3:44 PM, freetoroam said:

Cheeky mare then said "may god be with you" as she walked off, i just laughed.

On one occasion i remember I did toss in a 'I do hope you are not evolved from the ape like creatures like the rest of humanity' and the chap retorted with a hearty 'I certainly do not' to which I made a rather over the top ' thank you god ' towards the heavens

~

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
On 2/21/2019 at 11:42 PM, danydandan said:

So are you happy to defend anyone's claims relating to God as long as they believe in God?

 

Hi Dany

Of course, they are free to create whatever construct works for them until they say something that Walker can correct them on.

jmccr8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
On 2/22/2019 at 4:26 PM, Mr Walker said:

Think about what the poster has already said about themselves.

  I am not in a position (of either knowledge or comprehension)  to debate a person who is still suffering the effects of PTSD as a result of conflict,  and even if i was, I would not.  He is getting professional help, and that is the only advice i would give apart from some coping strategies 

Hi Walker

Nice out, he put you on the spot and this is your counter.

jmccr8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
On 2/22/2019 at 5:04 PM, Mr Walker said:

Education has no effect on faith or belief although it can shape that belief eg more educated people still believe in gods but are less likely to believe in creation 

Hi Walker

Just to point out that I was raised in the Catholic school system and Christian ethics was a part of the process of indoctrination, public schools, on the other hand, were exempt from the school influence directly but were required to go to Sunday school. At times this was a point of contention as we only went to mass on Sunday and didn't spend the extra hour of bible thumping so were free to hit the pool or rink while the sun was shining(and maybe a black eye or two):lol:

jmccr8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Unfortunately
1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Hey Unfortunately

Wow (not woo) glad to see you back how is life?

jmccr8

Life is life, up and down but that's what keeps things interesting. Cheers for asking. ^_^ You?

 

(In regards to the thread) Running on a different tangent, I feel like too many people are prepared to scream out their arguments passionately without even understanding the concept of what they're arguing about. People should do their own research and learn about the various aspects of each argument in order to use the knowledge to their advantage. Ignorance never usually helps with debating.

People need to expose themselves to each environment a bit to understand the perspectives that the other person is coming from. Makes it a learning experience for everyone. :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

Just to point out that I was raised in the Catholic school system and Christian ethics was a part of the process of indoctrination, public schools, on the other hand, were exempt from the school influence directly but were required to go to Sunday school. At times this was a point of contention as we only went to mass on Sunday and didn't spend the extra hour of bible thumping so were free to hit the pool or rink while the sun was shining(and maybe a black eye or two):lol:

jmccr8

That is interesting. In Australia, public schools do just as much indoctrination, but rather  than religious values, it is humanist ie social, ethical, environmental, socialist  etc.  values , which the government holds to be right, that all children in govt schools are indoctrinated in.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

Nice out, he put you on the spot and this is your counter.

jmccr8

That was my honest personal response, but also what i would say if counselling a person.   It also is the only response  allowable under the site rules on offering medical advice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Dany

Of course, they are free to create whatever construct works for them until they say something that Walker can correct them on.

jmccr8

No that is not right 

 I can debate any ones construct of god but i think any construct is ok if it is positive and beneficial

There is not one true god but billions of them, each existing in a persons mind.

My other point was that (for me) there can be no debate about the existence of god.

That is a physical proven given to me.

  So, while people can tell me they don't believe in gods they might as well tell me they don't believe in dogs 

God for me is not a mental construct but a powerful physical being  How i see/perceive and relate to it is unique to me, but it's physical existence is indisputable.  I have to work very hard to stay polite with people who tell me that god does not exist,  based on their belief, and thus i cannot know it.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

Thanks for the heads up, I spent a month standing in a 2'x2' closet with a 1000 watt grow lamp on waiting to get healed from smoking.:whistle:

jmccr8

yet clearly you are still smoking something :) 

lol I had to read your post 3 times to get it.  

No. NEVER follow another person's god. It doesn't work. Go and find your own.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

Exactly the reason that I am single and not married to a god.

jmccr8

That one i still don't get, even after reading it 3 times. 

Life is better married, or connected to,  someone who loves you, than not.

  It doesn't mean you have to be subservient, or give up things you enjoy.

You negotiate all that between the two of you (this applies to a relationship with a partner or a god )\

In a healthy relationship you will gain more than you lose, but also each half of the  partnership  will be more empowered than if the y were alone, and the couple can achieve,more together than separately 

Edited by Mr Walker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
On 3/13/2019 at 2:37 AM, Unfortunately said:

Life is life, up and down but that's what keeps things interesting. Cheers for asking. ^_^ You?

 

(In regards to the thread) Running on a different tangent, I feel like too many people are prepared to scream out their arguments passionately without even understanding the concept of what they're arguing about. People should do their own research and learn about the various aspects of each argument in order to use the knowledge to their advantage. Ignorance never usually helps with debating.

People need to expose themselves to each environment a bit to understand the perspectives that the other person is coming from. Makes it a learning experience for everyone. :)

 

Hi Unfortunately

I am doing well thanks. There are some that don't argue and just go for the nuts or throat as my daddy taught me but then not everyone is a dinosaur like me.:whistle: To be honest I don't care if people believe in fairies or what not just so long as they are socially safe.

jmccr8

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.