Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sock accounts

Jodie.Lynne

Is there a procedure or protocol for dealing with single-user/multiple accounts?

If I suspect that someone may be using multiple or alternate alias, should I just report what I suspect to a moderator?

Or just mind my own business? :)

• Like 1

How fascinating ! Do they make more sense under one alias, than the other(s) ?

If you think someone is participating in rule breaking behavior, thing to do is report it to moderators. If you think it’s a sock account, please include what account you think is being socked.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, rashore said:

If you think someone is participating in rule breaking behavior, thing to do is report it to moderators. If you think it’s a sock account, please include what account you think is being socked.

Thanks rashore. I'm not yet sure, but when I am, I will report it.

I wouldn't want to accuse someone, and be wrong. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Thanks rashore. I'm not yet sure, but when I am, I will report it.

I wouldn't want to accuse someone, and be wrong. :)

I got a guy banned for having a sock account.

He put his small town and state under his first account and his longitude and latitude under his second account. The game was afoot!

Then he spent different hours of the day agreeing about 9/11 conspiracy theories.

It was a pretty simple case really. :sleepy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Habitat said:

How fascinating ! Do they make more sense under one alias, than the other(s) ?

Some give give themselves away fast and some are sneaky until they slip up. 

I can 100% truthfully say I have this account only, too boring and more important things to do to fake things. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I got a guy banned for having a sock account.

He put his small town and state under his first account and his longitude and latitude under his second account. The game was afoot!

Then he spent different hours of the day agreeing about 9/11 conspiracy theories.

It was a pretty simple case really. :sleepy:

My god,imagine the amount of wasted time that poor chap let slip away... :lol:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

The first time I encountered the "sock puppet" thing was on another site.  This guy (I guess) seemed to have multiple puppets and they would all butter each other up.  One time when he was being confronted in a heated discussion with another member, he started slipping up and saying things that one of his other puppets had said.  It was funny -  he was so busted!

That has been noted to happen. On the other hand, there are instances where multiple posters get accused of being the same person, in a conversation.

13 minutes ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

The first time I encountered the "sock puppet" thing was on another site.  This guy (I guess) seemed to have multiple puppets and they would all butter each other up.  One time when he was being confronted in a heated discussion with another member, he started slipping up and saying things that one of his other puppets had said.  It was funny -  he was so busted!

It totally weirds me out when they talk to eachother. I have to wonder if the person is, just that nuts, or just that committed to trying to fool everyone. 

• Like 1

Makes me wonder...has anybody ever witnessed a person arguing with their own sock puppet(s)? I mean I can imagine a situation where some "post-modern" wannabe-artist does that in order to "proof the futility of electronic conversation in the information age" or some bullpoop.

54 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Makes me wonder...has anybody ever witnessed a person arguing with their own sock puppet(s)? I mean I can imagine a situation where some "post-modern" wannabe-artist does that in order to "proof the futility of electronic conversation in the information age" or some bullpoop.

I've seen it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Is there a procedure or protocol for dealing with single-user/multiple accounts?

If I suspect that someone may be using multiple or alternate alias, should I just report what I suspect to a moderator?

Or just mind my own business? :)

Good moderators already know who to keep an eye on because it's very easy to see who is here to have fun and discuss and who is here just to create problems.

I think you create unnecessary drama when you create a topic like this, so I think you should just have reported this to a moderator.

But each to their own.

Edited by LightAngel
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Not on here but on Facebook groups and a baby app I have seen it. 

On the baby app (pregnancy hormones and strong opinions on topics it gets crazy)  atleast 3 women keep making accounts after accounts, mostly to agree with each other on things. 

They give give themselves away by posting with the exact same wording. 

One on there got banned for bullying a mom to be, hour later she was back new screen name and banned again only to return yet again. 

"Sock" Account - well, you learn something new everyday.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

"Sock" Account - well, you learn something new everyday.

You are joking, of course. You knew about Sock Puppetry because you read it in the Forum Rules. :yes:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, acute said:

You are joking, of course. You knew about Sock Puppetry because you read it in the Forum Rules

Of course, yes, well spotted :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ruby04 said:

Not on here but on Facebook groups and a baby app I have seen it. 

On the baby app (pregnancy hormones and strong opinions on topics it gets crazy)  atleast 3 women keep making accounts after accounts, mostly to agree with each other on things. 

They give give themselves away by posting with the exact same wording. 

One on there got banned for bullying a mom to be, hour later she was back new screen name and banned again only to return yet again. 

Oh I meant like, using sock puppet to argue against themselves and contesting their own statements and stuff like that.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Oh I meant like, using sock puppet to argue against themselves and contesting their own statements and stuff like that.

I’d pay to see that :lol:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, rashore said:

^^This

If you suspect someone is using more than one account, please PM a moderator or use the 'report' button to let us know.

Thank you.

• The topic was locked