Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When was the eruption of Thera? Not 1627 BC!

JonnyMcA

1 minute ago, Harte said:

But, of course, Homer didn't know about it, as was stated.

Poor oblivious Homer knew nothing of the Greek defeat of the Atlanteans.

Harte

how do you know? maybe his publisher died before the epic tale of Atlantis was went to scribes?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

oddly enough in the vicinity of the Sahara. i think the history books need to be rewritten. 

And yet nowhere near the Richat structure either. Pseudo history books need to be burned. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

how do you know? maybe his publisher died before the epic tale of Atlantis was went to scribes?

And maybe pigs really do fly. :rolleyes:

cormac

I think that it is a bit hypocritical to accuse the barbaric burning of books now. Afterall, people might just go accusing any book of false history as has been done before to burn them. 

Edited by Opus Magnus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

...because people have been desperate enough for material from Homer they’ve made **** up and attributed it to him. Anything he wrote — if he even /was/ real, which is a whole other conversation you’re ill-equipped to participate in — would have been zealously preserved. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2

On 2/22/2019 at 10:53 AM, Hanslune said:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Diodorus_Siculus/3D*.html#note13.

The name yes of those fine folks in NW Africa but not the city and sunken land of Plato which of course I was referring too. Could you point to the great story of the destruction of Atlantis in myth? Such a great story, not only that but the defeat of those dudes by Athens - I'm sure some Gods were involved - can you link to that and similar myths please.

Plato tossed in the detail about a sinking Atlantean city to increase verisimilitude, especially among his contemporary Greeks who remembered the Greek events of 373-362 BC. 

Plato wrote his Atlantis dialogues ca 360 BC; so the Greek events of 373-362 BC were fresh on the minds of Plato's contemporary Greeks.  373 BC was the date when the capital city (Helike) of Poseidon's Greek Achaean league sank into water.  A subsequent collapse of Poseidon's Achaean league took place, while Greek politics disintegrated into chaos.  

Xenophon, who ends his Hellenica history with the battle of Mantinea (362 BC), says of the battle's results (Hellenica 7.5):

When these things had taken place, the opposite of what all men believed would happen was brought to pass. For since well-nigh all the people of Greece had come together and formed themselves in opposing lines, there was no one who did not suppose that if a battle were fought, those who proved victorious would be the rulers and those who were defeated would be their subjects; but the deity so ordered it that both parties set up a trophy as though victorious and neither tried to hinder those who set them up, that both gave back the dead under a truce as though victorious, and both received back their dead under a truce as though defeated, and that while each party claimed to be victorious, neither was found to be any better off, as regards either additional territory, or city, or sway, than before the battle took place; but there was even more confusion and disorder in Greece after the battle than before.

49 minutes ago, atalante said:

...deleted...

Yeah I know no actual mention of Atlantis in Greek myths. Thanks Atalante if you will look at my avatar you will note that I have source FROM Atlantis. Which is why I find the subject boring (not you the subject) its has been beaten to death for centuries - it will never be found and people will still want it to be found.  Rupert knows the exact story.

I would have though Homer would have associated those on the Greek side with of a blood line that fought against the Atlantean invaders long ago, etc. he never did. Interesting

I'll step out now and let you guys go over the same stuff a couple hundred more times...[wink]

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Thanks Atalante if you will look at my avatar you will note that I have source FROM Atlantis.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA