Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Paul report meeting Jesus' brother?

eight bits

49 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

That's on you if you reject Jesus,it's on you. No one is forcing you to accept the truth.

Which Jesus do you accept?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/20/2019 at 12:29 PM, Ellapennella said:

Why did Rome need to make a conversion, weren't they happy with their pagan gods? 

Roman did not make the conversion to christianity until I think about 325 when Constantine took over. Unless I miss my guess and I could be wrong Constantine was the first emperor to convert to christianity...I have been out of this mythicists v historicists debate for a long time so I could be totally wrong. I believe jesus was based on many characters and jesus was quite a common name back then.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Ah yes, the classic fall back position of "I'm right, you're wrong"

Not to mention the slight, implied threat involved if one doesn't accept the tale. The part I bolded. Along with the denial that any coercion or threat of punishment is involved.

The funny thing that I have noticed about many believers, not all, but many, is that they are so adamant that their way is the only way, and believers in other paths are flat out wrong. Why is that?

I'm not condemning or attempting to refute anyone's faith, just confused by all the hubbub.

Kind of ridiculous if you think about it since the Judeo-Christian God was never original to the faiths currently in play nor had the same attributes then as now. That’s the power of spin at work. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Piney said:

Never said he was. As for your other point. Did Jesus tell you this? 

As for your other points there is many different kinds of Buddhism. Not all of them believe many of these concepts. In Tendai we do not teach life is suffering. As for the core goal it is to join the Living Universe. Be part of "God" Not to be non-existent. 

What, yes you did , you said something to reference  the universe being God . Jesus teachings and Buddhist are not the same and never will be. Buddhist is from out of the Hindu neither of them teach what Jesus taught. Jesus was a Jew. He lived in a Jewish community and when his time came he left his community to spread his message of the gospel. He did not live in a cave in India and he was not rich and he was not a Buddhist monk. All that talk are nothing but lies about him in hopes of causing confusion and division. 

Christians can not remove Jesus from Christianity or our faith . You can remove Buddha out of Buddhism and still have Buddhism as you try to figure how you can burn out all you want your entire life but Jesus taught we have only one life on earth

Extinguishment translation for the word Nirvana. 

27 minutes ago, Piney said:

Are you familiar with the fact that the Greco-Bactrians brought Buddhism to Rome and Athanasius, the Bishop of Alexandria burned all the writings?

Or that 3 Roman Emperors helped wipe out the pagans?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_pagans_in_the_late_Roman_Empire

edit to answer this.

what is your point ? 

Edited by Ellapennella

4 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

Don't you know? His people will know his name.

Would I be asking if I knew?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

Don't you know? His people will know his name.

30 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Would I be asking if I knew?

Well this devolved quickly...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

What, yes you did , you said something to reference  the universe being God . Jesus teachings and Buddhist are not the same and never will be. Buddhist is from out of the Hindu neither of them teach what Jesus taught. Jesus was a Jew. He lived in a Jewish community and when his time came he left his community to spread his message of the gospel. He did not live in a cave in India and he was not rich and he was not a Buddhist monk. All that talk are nothing but lies about him in hopes of causing confusion and division. 

I'm not disagreeing with this. That idea that Jesus was a Buddhist Monk or "Ascended Master" was Theosophist made up garbage. Buddhism is nothing like Christianity and Hindu Buddhism and Japanese Buddhism are as far apart as Quakers and Catholics. 

I used the term "God" as a reference to a Higher Power. Not in the Judeo-Christian sense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I'm not disagreeing with this. That idea that Jesus was a Buddhist Monk or "Ascended Master" was Theosophist made up garbage. Buddhism is nothing like Christianity and Hindu Buddhism and Japanese Buddhism are as far apart as Quakers and Catholics. 

I used the term "God" as a reference to a Higher Power. Not in the Judeo-Christian sense. 

According to her beliefs, there isn't any other sense of the word 'god'. It's either her way, or the hellway...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

According to her beliefs, there isn't any other sense of the word 'god'. It's either her way, or the hellway...

I know I'm going to Hell. But the Chinese bought it, constructed meditation gardens and installed air-conditioning. :yes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

That's freaking awesome! See ye all in a place the Catholic Church made up and isn't even in the Bible. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, danydandan said:

That's freaking awesome! See ye all in a place the Catholic Church made up and isn't even in the Bible. 

Cool! I like grassy fields! :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Piney said:

Cool! I like grassy fields! :)

I'm like the RHCPs. I Like Dirt.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2019 at 12:54 PM, third_eye said:

Which version ?

~

It matters not, this is where Islam gets Christianity wrong, the Bible and the Quran are very different books, the Injil dosen't exist and if it does where is it mentioned other than being written down in Islamic sources 100s of years later? 'Isa' isn't the Christian Jesus.

Edited by hetrodoxly

5 hours ago, danydandan said:

Not mention, can we be sure of the validity of the documents?

Personally, I'm OK with Pliny and Tacitus from the 110's, but these are evidence of the church, not a historical Jesus (IMO). Josephus is trickier. I don't credit the mention of James, the brother of Jesus called Christ, but think it was an innocent error, not malicious. I think there was some version of the "Testimonium," surely not what we find there now. but probably what would have been evidence of the church had it not been tampered with.

5 hours ago, Ellapennella said:

So what are you looking for in regards to Paul's life, there is historical documentation

Well, you mentioned politicians. We could start there. What've you got?

5 hours ago, Ellapennella said:

I also asked you if you were wanting to prove or disprove Jesus and by the attitude you have I think it's the later.

It's all the same to me. I'd be thrilled to resolve the uncertainty either way. The resolution would need to be by evidence, of course.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Ellapennella said:

Don't you mainly posts threads that pertain to things like demonology, that sort of stuff ,are you into that sort of stuff?

Sorry for the double post, I've got some glitch on the web connection. As to demonology, I think you have me confused with somebody else.

But then a demon would say that, wouldn't it?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, eight bits said:

It's all the same to me. I'd be thrilled to resolve the uncertainty either way. The resolution would need to be by evidence, of course.

Didn't you mean proof 8?

To me there's plenty of evidence not only to suggest but also to resolve personally that Jesus of Nazareth really did live in Palestine about two thousand years ago. 

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

Didn't you mean proof 8?

If there were enough evidence to resolve the question, then I think a lot of people would call that body of evidence proof. I'm unsure that we're in disagreement here.

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

To me there's plenty of evidence not only to suggest but also to resolve personally that Jesus of Nazareth really did live in Palestine about two thousand years ago. 

Well, I suppose we disagree about that :) . But only a little, because that's what happens when there isn't much evidence, or the evidence is is ambiguous and equiviocal. There's nothing to coordinate people's opinions, so you should see a wide range of personal confidence levels, in both directions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2019 at 5:36 AM, third_eye said:

Not quite sure if you are saying that this collection of codices is a hoax or alluding that the modern studies / research is unreliable. Just because Plato's Republic is part of the finds it makes it all a purposed effort of a Noble Lie to you ?

Maybe you as a detractor is expecting too much of the scribes to at least google check before trying to commit such attempts at forgery all those years ago.

Anyways, it is a commentary on The Republic, which just means they studied or at least had knowledge of Plato's works. Something that was heavily suppressed at the time.

~

My bad. I should have listened to that little voice that said check first.

Anyways be sure to check the "Gospel of Thomas", and the "Apocryphon of John" for some gleaming insights.

I don't know why Bart says the Christians were truthful when he wrote the brilliant work "Forged"?

Remember that the 4th century church would have been heretical to Paul because he taught a spiritual flesh resurrection not an earthly flesh resurrection. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Doug1o29 said:

MERRY DMAS:

Did you once use the handle "DAVOS OF SKARO?"

Doug

No. davros of skaro.

I'm stuck with MD for 90 days.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, MERRY DMAS said:

My bad. I should have listened to that little voice that said check first.

Anyways be sure to check the "Gospel of Thomas", and the "Apocryphon of John" for some gleaming insights.

Philip is my favorite ... Thomas and John is old news

~

2 hours ago, MERRY DMAS said:

I don't know why Bart says the Christians were truthful when he wrote the brilliant work "Forged"?

Remember that the 4th century church would have been heretical to Paul because he taught a spiritual flesh resurrection not an earthly flesh resurrection. 

Quite by serendipitous chance I was reading this again, I make sure to read it at least once a year ...

~

Plato's The Apology is an account of the speech Socrates makes at the trial in which he is charged with not recognizing the gods recognized by the state, ...

~

Plato's Apology of Socrates. How you, men of Athens, have been affected by my accusers, I do. 17a not know. 1 . For my part, even I nearly forgot myself ...

~

It answers a lot of your questions and holds the keys to many of your puzzles

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, third_eye said:

Philip is my favorite ... Thomas and John is old news

~

Yes! Most insightful...

Gospel of Philip (select verses)

"Names given to the worldly are very deceptive, for they divert our thoughts from what is correct to what is incorrect. Thus one who hears the word "God" does not perceive what is correct, but perceives what is incorrect. So also with "the Father" and "the Son" and "the Holy Spirit" and "life" and "light" and "resurrection" and "the Church (Ekklesia)" and all the rest - people do not perceive what is correct but they perceive what is incorrect, unless they have come to know what is correct. The names which are heard are in the world [...] deceive. If they were in the Aeon (eternal realm), they would at no time be used as names in the world. Nor were they set among worldly things. They have an end in the Aeon."

"These are powers which [...] man, not wishing him to be saved, in order that they may [...]. For if man is saved, there will not be any sacrifices [...] and animals will not be offered to the powers. Indeed, the animals were the ones to whom they sacrificed. They were indeed offering them up alive, but when they offered them up, they died. As for man, they offered him up to God dead, and he lived."

"Indeed, one must utter a mystery. The Father of everything united with the virgin who came down, and a fire shone for him on that day. He appeared in the great bridal chamber. Therefore his body came into being on that very day. It left the bridal chamber as one who came into being from the bridegroom and the bride. So Jesus established everything in it through these. It is fitting for each of the disciples to enter into his rest."

"There is the Son of Man and there is the son of the Son of Man. The Lord is the Son of Man, and the son of the Son of Man is he who creates through the Son of Man. The Son of Man received from God the capacity to create. He also has the ability to beget. He who has received the ability to create is a creature. He who has received the ability to beget is an offspring. He who creates cannot beget. He who begets also has power to create. Now they say, "He who creates begets". But his so- called "offspring" is merely a creature. Because of [...] of birth, they are not his offspring but [...]. He who creates works openly, and he himself is visible. He who begets, begets in private, and he himself is hidden, since [...] image. Also, he who creates, creates openly. But one who begets, begets children in private."

"As long as it is hidden, wickedness is indeed ineffectual, but it has not been removed from the midst of the seed of the Holy Spirit. They are slaves of evil. But when it is revealed, then the perfect light will flow out on every one. And all those who are in it will receive the chrism. Then the slaves will be free and the captives ransomed. "Every plant which my father who is in heaven has not planted will be plucked out." (Mt 15:13) Those who are separated will unite [...] and will be filled. Every one who will enter the bridal chamber will kindle the light, for [...] just as in the marriages which are [...] happen at night. That fire [...] only at night, and is put out. But the mysteries of that marriage are perfected rather in the day and the light. Neither that day nor its light ever sets. If anyone becomes a son of the bridal chamber, he will receive the light. If anyone does not receive it while he is here, he will not be able to receive it in the other place. He who will receive that light will not be seen, nor can he be detained. And none shall be able to torment a person like this, even while he dwells in the world. And again when he leaves the world, he has already received the truth in the images. The world has become the Aeon (eternal realm), for the Aeon is fullness for him. This is the way it is: it is revealed to him alone, not hidden in the darkness and the night, but hidden in a perfect day and a holy light."

Quite by serendipitous chance I was reading this again, I make sure to read it at least once a year ...

Full text of "Bart D. Ehrman - Forged: Writing In The Name Of God - Why The Bible's Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are"

https://archive.org/stream/BartD.Ehrman-ForgedWritingInTheNameOfGod-WhyTheBiblesAuthors/Forged_djvu.txt

It answers a lot of your questions and holds the keys to many of your puzzles

~

Please pray tell what are my "prophecies", "questions", and "puzzles" that you gleam I have?

I do have a request that Doug the ring counter shot down. You being of like appreciation of the works of Dr. Barbera Thiering. Would you please start a thread on the things from her that you find most convincing. Please articulate beyond a quip and a link that many people around here looks to be a fan of. 

Thanks....

• Like 3