Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep Paralysis

alexyaboy

i was asleep one night and got woken up by a noise but the strange thing was that i couldnt move my body only my eyes were able to move, to make it more scarier there was a dark tall figure with bright red eyes in the corner of my room just observing me sleeping. i wanted to scream but i couldnt 

I’ve never experienced it but I’ve heard how scary it can be. My daughter sees spiders during her episodes of sleep paralysis.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If it happens again try wiggling your toes or making a fist, you should be able to snap out of it.

• Like 3

@alexyaboy  Unfortunately, it's difficult to wake yourself from a sleep paralysis episode; you have to let it run its course. But there are things you can do to keep yourself calm. In addition to wiggling your toes and clenching your fists (as SecretSanta suggests), focus on controlling your breathing. Don't be afraid, don't try to fight it, and above all, don't panic as that will only intensify the experience.

• Like 2

@alexyaboy I have a condition that I dread. If I don't eat enough during a day, I get muscle and joint pain the following morning. It hurts like hell, but my own fear makes it almost unbearable. I've learned to keep calm when it happens, and though it can take 10-15 minutes of pure pain, staying calm takes the edge off. It can't hurt me, it's just very very uncomfortable.

So, when it happens, stay calm. Know that it can't hurt you. Fear only makes it worse.

Edit: Like they say in the movies: Concentrate on your breathing. In... Out... In... Out...

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 2

My dad would get it, he was 89 when he passed in 14,

He found at his dr office a Whitley Strieber book, not his better admitted fiction  but his abduction stuff, dad asked me all kinds of opinions he described his awake asleep not being able to move and no one in the dream would help....but he thought it 100% in his mind, he wanted to really get into understanding it, and loved the work of Michael Persinger

5 hours ago, alexyaboy said:

i was asleep one night and got woken up by a noise but the strange thing was that i couldnt move my body only my eyes were able to move, to make it more scarier there was a dark tall figure with bright red eyes in the corner of my room just observing me sleeping. i wanted to scream but i couldnt 

There are a few things which could cause sleep paralysis, 

But it is quite common, 

Up to as many as four out of every 10 people may have sleep paralysis. This common condition is often first noticed in the teen years

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-paralysis

There is no need to be afraid of it - when you are awake. I can not say do not be afraid when it happens as its not that easy, but as adviced, it is best let it run its course, it does not last long, and recognise it when you wake up as nothing to be afraid of as it was part of your dreaming.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, alexyaboy said:

Classic sleep paralysis. If it happens again roll your eyes up into your head. That will usually break the paralysis. 

I really can’t get over how so many people see the same things in these experiences. 

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I really can’t get over how so many people see the same things in these experiences. 

That is why I tend to challenge those who think because 'sleep paralysis' is well recognized then these stories are simple case closed self-created hallucinations.

My theory is that in these various sleep state so-called tulpa are often experienced. My best understanding of tulpa is that we humans create through our collective subconscious these archetypes.

Tulpa (Wikipedia): Tulpa is a concept in mysticism and the paranormal of a being or object which is created through spiritual or mental powers.[1] It was adapted by 20th century theosophists from Tibetan sprul-pa (Tibetan: སྤྲུལ་པ་, Wylie: sprulpa) which means "emanation" or "manifestation".[2] Modern practitioners use the term to refer to a type of willed imaginary friend which practitioners consider to be sentient and relatively autonomous.[3]

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

That is why I tend to challenge those who think because 'sleep paralysis' is well recognized then these stories are simple case closed self-created hallucinations.

They are indeed nothing more than hallucinations brought on by sleep paralysis. The fact that in some cases hallucinations are similar doesn't mean there's anything more at play. People who suffer from illnesses such as Parkinson's also experience hallucinations that are remarkably similar. It all has to do with how our brains work, and just because science hasn't explained all of it, it doesn't mean that gaps in current knowledge need to be filled in with paranormal explanations.

Couldn’t agree more. More often then not when it comes to things like this, observation somehow equals understanding. It doesn’t.

I’m fact in order for their theories to work with sp, an exact set of circumstances has to occur in exact order. Thing is often it does go in order at all. I know my first experience with sp, can’t be medically explained. Well at least not with the current understanding. And even then, when you look at the studies, they admit they don’t really understand it. They simply say the easiest explanation is often the right one. 

My theory is that in these various sleep state so-called tulpa are often experienced. My best understanding of tulpa is that we humans create through our collective subconscious these archetypes.

Could be. I’d be lying if I said I knew who or what these entities were. I know I was shocked to find out that others had seen exactly what I had during my first SP experience. 

I think it’s possible they are entities that are completely separate from our consciousness. That in the transition from sleep to waking, we can enter an altered state and see things that are always there, just not normally seen. 

To me, people seeing and experiencing several different entities in similar ways, often with the exact same description, is just to much to overlook. I find the explanation for this to be lacking. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

They are indeed nothing more than hallucinations brought on by sleep paralysis. The fact that in some cases hallucinations are similar doesn't mean there's anything more at play. People who suffer from illnesses such as Parkinson's also experience hallucinations that are remarkably similar. It all has to do with how our brains work, and just because science hasn't explained all of it, it doesn't mean that gaps in current knowledge need to be filled in with paranormal explanations.

Well they are often not just similar, but are exactly the same. When you read the sparse studies on this subject they admit they don’t have a full understanding of it. Not only that but in order for the theories to work, things have to go in an exact pattern. But they often don’t go that way at all. 

A diease like Parkinson’s is well mapped with brain scans. They can tell you exactly why they suffer hallucinations. Same with things like alcohol withdrawal. They can tell you exactly why people feel like bugs are crawling on them during it. But with sp, that isn’t the case all. 

In fact that with a little information, bravery, and a strong will, a person can experience what appears to be an out of body experience through sleep paralysis and it throws the medical explanations right out the window. According to medical science there is no way those two experiences can exist simultaneously. Yet I’ve personally experienced this many times. 

In fact, on the rare occasion I wake up to find myself in sp, I know right away that I’m about to project. It’s the only time I know I’m certain to accomplish it. 

Edited by preacherman76

40 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I am not ‘filling in with the paranormal’ but following the worldview I find most reasonable. Astral thought forms are already part of that worldview.

8 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Well they are often not just similar, but are exactly the same. When you read the sparse studies on this subject they admit they don’t have a full understanding of it. Not only that but in order for the theories to work, things have to go in an exact pattern. But they often don’t go that way at all. 

A diease like Parkinson’s is well mapped with brain scans. They can tell you exactly why they suffer hallucinations. Same with things like alcohol withdrawal. They can tell you exactly why people feel like bugs are crawling on them during it. But with sp, that isn’t the case all. 

In fact that with a little information, bravery, and a strong will, a person can experience what appears to be an out of body experience through sleep paralysis and it throws the medical explanations right out the window. According to medical science there is no way those two experiences can exist simultaneously. Yet I’ve personally experienced this many times. 

In fact, on the rare occasion I wake up to find myself in sp, I know right away that I’m about to project. It’s the only time I know I’m certain to accomplish it. 

The experiences are not exactly the same. Certain dreams/hallucinations may share similar elements (such as shadow figures) but individuals experience sleep paralysis in significantly different ways. Hallucinations, for example, can be visual, auditory, olfactory, or tactile. Certain common sensations, such as extreme fear and difficulty breathing, are easily explained. And whilst neuroscientists are not able to fully explain each and every aspect of the condition, they are able to induce it, and have also discovered the brain chemicals that cause it. Furthermore, it is well established that hallucinations and paralysis are caused by a disrupted boundary between dream sleep and wakefulness.

As for PD psychosis, common hallucinations include seeing animals and people. Common delusions are persecutory and jealousy (spousal infidelity, for example). The point being that it is not unusual for people suffering from certain conditions to experience very similar type hallucinations given whatever parts of the brain are affected. Furthermore, we also share similar dreams, such as falling, losing teeth, being chased, showing up late to an exam, or naked to work. We don't attach any paranormal explanation to those dreams, or to PD psychosis, so why attach them to sleep paralysis?

Edited by Kittens Are Jerks
Grammatical correction.

I was hoping there was going to be a thread about this. 

I had something a couple of days ago, (as I was ((or so I thought)) waking up in the morning)  that has me thinking I have been having them through out my life. Understanding what I can about sleep paralysis, I thought that maybe I only had it once years ago. When I woke up in the middle of the night seeing my younges brother sitting in a chair at the end of my bed. And upon turning on the light, he wasn’t there. 

A couple of mornings ago, in the process of ‘waking up’ I thought that on top of usually hearing my husband getting ready for breakfast and work downstairs in the kitchen, I thought I heard my daughter’s voice talking to her dad. Now, she’s married and living five states away. I didn’t hear my son in law’s voice, and nothing seemed out of the usual, it seemed. On top of that, I kept experiencing, (it must have been dreaming or hallucinations ) that I got up and then was driving somewhere, where I felt like I was still half asleep and I needed to shake it off and wake up fully. It seemed so very real. Especially hearing my daughter’s voice. 

Of course, I then did fully awake and of course, my daughter wasn’t around. It was not until this occurrence that I realized I use to have these experiences when I was pregnant with both my kids. They always seemed to be so real as oppose to waking up from dreaming, and it felt like that. Now granted, there was no paranormal aspect to it, despite my interest in the paranormal, and myself feeling I have had experiences,( not in bed, or have been in the process of sleeping or close to it) 

This latest episode has really gotten me to thinking, I have been having them more, that I had previously thought. :o  

On 2/20/2019 at 2:38 PM, SecretSanta said:

If it happens again try wiggling your toes or making a fist, you should be able to snap out of it.

Well, I think this might be helpful. :yes:  But, the thing is, my reality is skewed, would I know it’s happening to do so? Is this like this with everyone’s experience with this? Not being sure you’re having this, and the feeling you fully can’t wake up? 

On 2/20/2019 at 3:36 PM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Unfortunately, it's difficult to wake yourself from a sleep paralysis episode; you have to let it run its course. 

That is what I always thought with these experiences. 

On 2/20/2019 at 3:51 PM, sci-nerd said:

I  have a condition that I dread. If I don't eat enough during a day, I get muscle and joint pain the following morning. It hurts like hell, but my own fear makes it almost unbearable. I've learned to keep calm when it happens, and though it can take 10-15 minutes of pure pain, staying calm takes the edge off. It can't hurt me, it's just very very uncomfortable.

You know, I always thought that was muscle cramps. Not to lesson your experience here to help deal with this situation, but I have found if I exercise too much without stretching properly I would get them and in the middle of the night. I do the same thing you do, I try to calm, even accepting the pain. *shrugs* 

On 2/20/2019 at 8:20 PM, freetoroam said:

There are a few things which could cause sleep paralysis, 

But it is quite common, 

There is no need to be afraid of it - when you are awake. I can not say do not be afraid when it happens as its not that easy, but as adviced, it is best let it run its course, it does not last long, and recognise it when you wake up as nothing to be afraid of as it was part of your dreaming.

I don’t know now, if I am having them myself. As I have said, I am not aware it’s going on, and I usually have none paranormal, none traumatic experiences. (Unless, one considers driving your car, while you’re still trying to wake fully up) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The experiences are not exactly the same. Certain dreams/hallucinations may share similar elements (such as shadow figures) but individuals experience sleep paralysis in significantly different ways. Hallucinations, for example, can be visual, auditory, olfactory, or tactile. Certain common sensations, such as extreme fear and difficulty breathing, are easily explained. And whilst neuroscientists are not able to fully explain each and every aspect of the condition, they are able to induce it, and have also discovered the brain chemicals that cause it. Furthermore, it is well established that hallucinations and paralysis are caused by a disrupted boundary between dream sleep and wakefulness.

I didn't mean to say the experiences are exactly the same. Just that the entities are often described as exactly the same. BTW it isn't even close to well established that hallucinations are caused by disruptive boundary between sleep and wakefulness. I have read just about all there is to read on the subject, and the studies are clear on this, they only have theories. They absolutely do not have definitive reasons for why people hallucinate during these experiences, or if they are in fact hallucinating at all. That is an assumption, based on observation alone.  Truth is, when you closely examine the theories and look at several actual cases, the theories aren't even very good. They fall way short. Please do me a favor and watch this short video.

As for PD psychosis, common hallucinations include seeing animals and people. Common delusions are persecutory and jealousy (spousal infidelity, for example). The point being that it is not unusual for people suffering from certain conditions to experience very similar type hallucinations given whatever parts of the brain are affected. Furthermore, we also share similar dreams, such as falling, losing teeth, being chased, showing up late to an exam, or naked to work. We don't attach any paranormal explanation to those dreams, or to PD psychosis, so why attach them to sleep paralysis?

The only reason it's theorized that people are having hallucinations during sleep paralysis is because the part of the brain that has to do with fear response is active. So its just assumed that that is causing a hallucination. Completely overlooking the possibility that they just might be afraid because of what they are seeing, instead of first being afraid, and that being the cause. Chicken egg kinda thing. My first SP experience I wasn't afraid at all, till I saw a black cloud at the end of my bed. According to the theories, that isn't possible. I experienced my first involuntary OBE during the same episode, which isn't even on the science scales radar. Many have had OBE's during SP, and according to materialist scientists, we are confusing two completely separate events that in no way, according to theory, could possibly happen at the same time.  I teach people with horrible SP experiences how to accomplish OBE's during them.

Yes people often have similar dreams, but that is a way oversimplification of SP experiences being similar. Really its just finding a way to be dismissive. The shadow person called the hat man alone has been seen by millions. What normal dream character can the same be said about? The regular dream can take many more shapes then the average SP experience. SP experiences are far more narrow as far as possibilities of outcome then dreams have.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I was hoping there was going to be a thread about this. 

I had something a couple of days ago, (as I was ((or so I thought)) waking up in the morning)  that has me thinking I have been having them through out my life. Understanding what I can about sleep paralysis, I thought that maybe I only had it once years ago. When I woke up in the middle of the night seeing my younges brother sitting in a chair at the end of my bed. And upon turning on the light, he wasn’t there. 

A couple of mornings ago, in the process of ‘waking up’ I thought that on top of usually hearing my husband getting ready for breakfast and work downstairs in the kitchen, I thought I heard my daughter’s voice talking to her dad. Now, she’s married and living five states away. I didn’t hear my son in law’s voice, and nothing seemed out of the usual, it seemed. On top of that, I kept experiencing, (it must have been dreaming or hallucinations ) that I got up and then was driving somewhere, where I felt like I was still half asleep and I needed to shake it off and wake up fully. It seemed so very real. Especially hearing my daughter’s voice. 

Of course, I then did fully awake and of course, my daughter wasn’t around. It was not until this occurrence that I realized I use to have these experiences when I was pregnant with both my kids. They always seemed to be so real as oppose to waking up from dreaming, and it felt like that. Now granted, there was no paranormal aspect to it, despite my interest in the paranormal, and myself feeling I have had experiences,( not in bed, or have been in the process of sleeping or close to it) 

This latest episode has really gotten me to thinking, I have been having them more, that I had previously thought. :o  

Well, I think this might be helpful. :yes:  But, the thing is, my reality is skewed, would I know it’s happening to do so? Is this like this with everyone’s experience with this? Not being sure you’re having this, and the feeling you fully can’t wake up? 

That is what I always thought with these experiences. 

You know, I always thought that was muscle cramps. Not to lesson your experience here to help deal with this situation, but I have found if I exercise too much without stretching properly I would get them and in the middle of the night. I do the same thing you do, I try to calm, even accepting the pain. *shrugs* 

I don’t know now, if I am having them myself. As I have said, I am not aware it’s going on, and I usually have none paranormal, none traumatic experiences. (Unless, one considers driving your car, while you’re still trying to wake fully up) 

This sounds more like what they call a false awakening then a sleep paralysis episode. I've had quite a few of them over the years. Very cool, and for me, often awesome experiences.

ETA- the first false awakening I ever had, I was around 8-10 years old. I walked out of my bedroom and saw my Mom cooking breakfast on the stove, she had her back to me. So I say to her "what's for breakfast Ma?" She turns around to look at me, and her face looks like she was possessed by a demon. Absolutely terrifying. She has this huge knife in her hand, and lets out this horrible scream.

Then she started running towards me. I turn and run as fast as I can down the hallway and go into the bathroom. The only door inside the house with a lock on it.  I jump in the bathtub and open this really small, near impossible to climb through window. As I'm trying to climb up to the window to try and get through it, she starts pounding on the door. Like she was just running towards it and smashing her head into it as hard as she could. I became paralyzed in fear and just curled up in the corner of the tub. Her head finally comes smashing through. She now has blood running down her face from hitting it on the door, and is screaming with pure hatred, still trying to get into the bathroom. Just as she is about to break through, I woke up. The whole time I thought all this was really happening till I finally woke up. It was the most horrific thing I had ever experienced up till that point in my short life.

So now I'm awake, and I get up and walk out of my room. Don't cha know my Mom actually is cooking breakfast standing in the same position she was in the dream. So I'm all like, ahh Mom? LOL, she turns and asks me how I'd like my eggs cooked. I was obviously very relieved to hear her ask me that.

Edited by preacherman76
  • Thanks 1