Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
RabidMongoose

Mysticism Help Needed

31 posts in this topic

XenoFish

I get the feeling that all this is just mental gymnastics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pettytalk

Tiresome is this give and take without the right mystic to explain it. Here we have many that are the wandbearers but few are the mystics.

The philosopher desires death–which the wicked world will insinuate that he also deserves: and perhaps he does, but not in any sense which they are capable of understanding. Enough of them: the real question is, What is the nature of that death which he desires? Death is the separation of soul and body–and the philosopher desires such a separation. He would like to be freed from the dominion of bodily pleasures and of the senses, which are always perturbing his mental vision. He wants to get rid of eyes and ears, and with the light of the mind only to behold the light of truth. All the evils and impurities and necessities of men come from the body. And death separates him from these corruptions, which in life he cannot wholly lay aside. Why then should he repine when the hour of separation arrives? Why, if he is dead while he lives, should he fear that other death, through which alone he can behold wisdom in her purity? Besides, the philosopher has notions of good and evil unlike those of other men. For they are courageous because they are afraid of greater dangers, and temperate because they desire greater pleasures. But he disdains this balancing of pleasures and pains, which is the exchange of commerce and not of virtue. All the virtues, including wisdom, are regarded by him only as purifications of the soul. And this was the meaning of the founders of the mysteries when they said, ’Many are the wandbearers but few are the mystics.

Socrates.

freetoroam
3 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

@ RabidMongoose: what happened to you? You used to post really good stuff but now you've entirely 'lost the plot'. I'm wondering if someone has hijacked your password here.

You are right.

It seems he has seen the light

Of the number 47 bus and it got him right between the eyes. 

• Sad 1

XenoFish
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

It seems he has seen the light

I guess seeing the light tend to make people a little strange.:hmm:

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

Pettytalk
2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I guess seeing the light tend to make people a little strange.:hmm:

They should outlaw night fishing with lights everywhere, since fish are irresistibly attracted to light. And with humans, if there is a correlation between the amount of strangeness in proportion to the amount of light seen, then I'm the strangest of them all, since I was exposed to such a bright light that I lost my blindness. And perhaps we should all become strange, at some point in this life, by seeking out the light that some only see when they die.

Good, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, since these are subjective. What is good for one is bad for another. What seems good in the beginning turns out bad in the end. Sometimes when one gives, the gift is given only for the taking. For instance, hustlers playing for money with those that have not seen the light, as when the play is over they take back what they give to the suckers in the beginning, plus a great deal more. Something similar is related to us about the profit of giving and having, which is really a "mystical" concept, since it comes from a great mystic who was before Abraham.  What will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?   The great hustler in the game of life will give you the physical world, initially...........

XenoFish
2 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

What seems good in the beginning turns out bad in the end.

Happens all to often.

• Like 1