Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

DOP + temperature spike

SMonkey

About seven years ago I had my first Disappearing Object Phenomenon experience.  A hard cover notebook and a file folder disappeared from my desk at work overnight.  I was working on it when I left work.  I was the last one out, locked up, and was the first one in the next morning.  It all was gone from my desktop and was never found.  After that, similar disappearances came in bunches over time — I’ll have a number of them over days or weeks, reoccurring these seven years.  Sometimes it happens in concert with a spike in temperature in my office at work.  My office will become ten degrees hotter than anywhere else in the building.  Several maintenance personnel have told me they can’t explain it.  I moved to another office, and the temperature phenomenon followed to that office.  Again, maintenance can’t explain it.  It hasn’t happened again in the office I vacated.  It only happens in my office.  It became frustrating and now depressing.  My wife and friends just tell me “there must be a logical explanation,” but I can’t find one.  Has anyone else had experiences like this?  Any thoughts?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SMonkey

• ChrLzs

• freetoroam

• zep73

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Do those rooms have any kind of heat sensitive security?

If I was a burglar and knew that, I would bypass it that way.

Edited by sci-nerd

1 hour ago, SMonkey said:

My office will become ten degrees hotter than anywhere else in the building.

How do you know this and how do you know the temperature of all the other rooms at any one given time? 

How many other people work in the building?

The first incident seven years ago happened at a different workplace.  That was a four person office.  I never had a temperature issue there, but was only there for a short time.  About six years ago, I moved to a new job.  There are about 45 employees.  I know everyone there, and nobody has experienced the temperature fluctuations I have.  My office went from 73 to 82 today in a period of about 45 minutes.  The thermostat in the office wasn’t adjusted . . . the temp just spiked.  I lowered the setting to 60, but as of the end of the day the temp was still above 80.  The last time this happened it stayed hot for five days before suddenly going back to normal.  It is the same thing that happened several times when I had an office at the other end of our space.  The person there now says he has never had an issue.  It happened multiple times to me in both offices at the current workplace.  Part of what freaks me out is that the DOP has repeatedly occurred at two different jobs in two different buildings, and the temperature thing has occurred in two different offices at the same workplace — always when some DOP happens.  I know this sounds crazy.  That’s why I’m reaching out.  

Or cameras.... why would you not have them installed if this is true?

Was this work related stuff, and if so, how did your supervisor react, or what other implications were there?  Were police reports made - if not why not?  Can you tell us exactly what the 'maintenance personnel' said?  Did they install a thermometer, or was this just a discussion with some dude in overalls...?

Increased anxiety or stress levels can cause a perceived temperature rise.

In other words, I'm a little 'perplexed' by the story.  BTW, somebody should tell the urban dictionaries about DOP's - definitely worthy of that useful acronym........  Somebody!?!

I haven’t installed cameras.  Nothing of real value is ever taken.  It’s usually work product (such as the original notebook and file folder) or very minor personal items.  My supervisor, who is a close friend, is among the people who shrug and say “there must be an explanation.”  He and my other friends just joke about it.  They don’t understand that it has really started to bother me.  Maintenance checks my office and thermostat and say they have no idea why it is so hot.  Once they replaced the thermostat with a newer one because it happened repeatedly, but the same thing happened again.  I don’t think they are much concerned because it self corrects and never persists too long.  I’m not imagining the temps rising.  The thermostat confirms what I can feel.  Sorry if you are “perplexed.”  I am too.  Which is why I resorted to an unexplained phenomenon message board.  Btw:  I picked up the acronym DOP at this site.  I registered and posted here because I saw that discussed here.  No need to be snarky about it.

Edited by SMonkey