Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Gromdor

Researchers conduct experiment on NATO troops

3 posts in this topic

Gromdor

So basically NATO was wondering if their troops could be influenced out on the field by social media like Instagram and Facebook so they decided to conduct an experiment: https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/20/politics/nato-social-media-influence-report/index.html

From personal experience, I know I have yelled at my nephew after he was newly enlisted for posting Facebook pictures of himself, his chopper, and his various deployment locations.  He also had this annoying habit about posting about how broke he is as at times, his personal problems and those of his wife and kid.  He wised up a little bit (and shut off his cellphone because he got deployed to Korea and didn't switch to an international plan for the first few months.......)

But I had to remind him that phones and apps have GPS trackers in it.  It took over two years before they shut down Pokemon Go and the like for military installations, for example.

Anyway, long story short, the experimenters found out that they could influence troops in the field with fake accounts and the like.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

and then

I'd think that taking phones away from deployed troops would be routine.  It's not as if we're talking 1A rights being hampered.  Military members don't have them in the same sense the rest of us do.  The UCMJ either needs to be brought up to date to deal with advancing technologies or it needs to be better enforced.  

• Like 2

Gromdor
Just now, and then said:

I'd think that taking phones away from deployed troops would be routine.  It's not as if we're talking 1A rights being hampered.  Military members don't have them in the same sense the rest of us do.  The UCMJ either needs to be brought up to date to deal with advancing technologies or it needs to be better enforced.  

You know, I agree.  It wasn't just the US though.  It was a joint NATO exercise/experiment.  But it's real hard to take a phone away from troops, especially if they are away from home and family during a crisis.  Unfortunately, those issues are the very thing that leaves them open to influence.

• Like 2