Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gas boilers could be banned in new UK homes

Still Waters

Gas hobs or boilers that harm the environment should be banned from being installed in new homes within six years, say government advisers.

A report by the Committee on Climate Change (CCC) said that no new homes should be connected to the gas grid from 2025 at the latest.

It warned that UK homes are not fit for the future with stalling efforts to cut greenhouse gases from housing and properties at growing risk of overheating and flooding.

The proposals would see an end to gas radiators, boilers and cooking hobs, which may disappoint home cooks who find them easier to control than electric.

https://news.sky.com/story/gas-hobs-and-boilers-could-be-banned-in-new-homes-by-2025-to-meet-carbon-emissions-targets-11643467

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Perhaps I didn't read it thorough enough, but I didn't see the alternative other than electric.

nuclear cookers are the future, meals cooked in under a minute and at night you save on the electric by you glowing and lighting up the room. bringing a whole new meaning to the phrase "He/She (enter) they light up the room"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

oh go away and stop bothering everybody. For ****'s sake, gas is about the cleanest fuel there is. Just go away 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

oh go away and stop bothering everybody. For ****'s sake, gas is about the cleanest fuel there is. Just go away 

It may be cleaner in terms of 'dirty' emissions (NOx, VOCs, etc) but it is a hydrocarbon (fossil) fuel and as such is as environmentally damaging as the combustion of petrol or diesel.

They all dump water, energy (in the form of heat), and carbon dioxide into our finite atmosphere with adverse consequences. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Gas hobs or boilers that harm the environment should be banned from being installed in new homes within six years, say government advisers.

A report by the Committee on Climate Change (CCC) said that no new homes should be connected to the gas grid from 2025 at the latest.

It warned that UK homes are not fit for the future with stalling efforts to cut greenhouse gases from housing and properties at growing risk of overheating and flooding.

The proposals would see an end to gas radiators, boilers and cooking hobs, which may disappoint home cooks who find them easier to control than electric.

https://news.sky.com/story/gas-hobs-and-boilers-could-be-banned-in-new-homes-by-2025-to-meet-carbon-emissions-targets-11643467

It might disappoint all of the Gas supply companies that would go out of business too.

Think i'll file this next to my 'driverless cars' folder.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

I'll just get myself a traditional range.  And burn coal  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

It might disappoint all of the Gas supply companies that would go out of business too.

Aren't the power plants run on Natural gas?

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 8:59 AM, Ozymandias said:

They all dump water, energy (in the form of heat), and carbon dioxide into our finite atmosphere with adverse consequences. 

lol, what???

• Like 1

You know what else dumps water, heat and CO2 in the atmosphere?

Spoiler

You.

Natural gas especially is very clean compared to a lot of other fuel sources. It's cheap, clean and plentiful. Run a line out to your BBQ for best results. I <3 natural gas.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, aztek said:

lol, what???

I said, 

On 21/02/2019 at 1:59 PM, Ozymandias said:

What did you not understand?

8 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

You know what else dumps water, heat and CO2 in the atmosphere?

What is the point you are struggling to make here?

8 hours ago, aztek said:

lol, he also dumps toxic chemicals, solid, liquid, and gases lol.

Is that supposed to be an accusation? If so, you are guilty yourself.

26 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

What is the point you are struggling to make here?

I made that point with my eyes closed. If you are struggling with comprehension, I'm sure there are local reading classes you can take. Ask your handler if it's OK, of course.

Let me spell it out for you: you tried to make the case that natural gas is a bad pollutant. I fired back back saying the same elements you listed as pollutants are also coming out of your own body. Your sharp wit won't be missed if you decide to save the planet by removing your pollutants forever. Good luck.

• Like 1

A Green New Deal proponent!  This should come along about the same time as the "self-driving bike"  :w00t:

• Haha 3

@and then I just wet myself

Edited by EnderOTD
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, EnderOTD said:

@and then I just wet myself

A friend posted this on my FB feed a few years ago on AprilFool's day.  It actually had me going for a bit :) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

I made that point with my eyes closed. If you are struggling with comprehension, I'm sure there are local reading classes you can take. Ask your handler if it's OK, of course.

Read? I'd love to be able to read but I don't think she'll let me take the classes. As for comprehension - I suppose comprehension comes after an ability to read and I would have to learn to read first. What do you think? 

Let me spell it out for you: you tried to make the case that natural gas is a bad pollutant.

I didn't try - I don't have to - it is a pollutant. I will repeat what I said so you can read it again:

[Gas] may be cleaner in terms of 'dirty' emissions (NOx, VOCs, etc) but it is a hydrocarbon (fossil) fuel and as such is as environmentally damaging as the combustion of petrol or diesel.

I fired back back saying the same elements you listed as pollutants are also coming out of your own body. Your sharp wit won't be missed if you decide to save the planet by removing your pollutants forever. Good luck.

So, what is the point you are struggling to make? Is it that we should cut back the human population on the planet because people put water, energy and CO2 into the atmosphere as does combustion of fossil fuels? Or are you saying that we are justified in continuing to burn hydrocarbon fuels unabated because humans put the same 'pollutants' into the atmosphere?  

The fact is that you cannot equate the two. They are not the same. 

6 hours ago, and then said:

A friend posted this on my FB feed a few years ago on AprilFool's day.  It actually had me going for a bit :) 

I shared it on FB and left a message reading, I hear this is a major component in the green new deal proposed by neocrats.  Waiting to see how that will be received as many of my friends are Bernie supporters lol. 

I knew something was up when the self driving mom came up at the end, and working while biking, my goodness.  It had me rolling.