Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teeny T. rex relative discovered in Utah

Still Waters

A newly discovered relative of Tyrannosaurus rex stood just over a metre tall at the hip, a study shows.

The diminutive tyrannosaur reveals crucial new information about how T. rexestablished itself as a dominant carnivore in North America.

Early in their evolution, tyrannosaurs were small, but at some stage, the hulking T. rex along with others emerged as apex predators.

The new fossil helps fill a 70-million-year gap in the fossil record.

Discovered in Emery County, Utah, the animal lived about 96 million years ago, during the later part of the Cretaceous Period.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47321411

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A mini T-Rex that weighs 3.5 Kg. more than I do is still scary, lol. Awesome find, though. And I like the feathered look in the reconstruction/conceptual art.

14 hours ago, AllPossible said:

He fits in a purse to be carried around Beverly Hills in, once we clone them of course.

Weighing 172 lbs and standing 4 feet at the hip. I think I will give it a miss.   :D

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, smokeycat said:

Weighing 172 lbs and standing 4 feet at the hip. I think I will give it a miss.   :D

Don't underestimate Khloe Kardashian

• Haha 2

No, no, no, they got this one wrong. This isn't a "before" pic for the T-Rex. It's an "after" pic. How else did we get chickens? I mean, obviously, T-Rexes devolved into chickens, right? :lol:

Edited by jowasmus
It all didn't post for some reason.

Tyrannobbits, Hobbit-Rex, Hobbisaurus,