Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fat Boy Kim asks the UN for food help

Eldorado

The United Nations says North Korea's government has asked for help from international humanitarian groups to combat food shortages.

UN Spokesman Stephane Dujarric said February 21 that food production figures provided by North Korea show "there is a food gap of about 1.4 million tons expected for 2019, and that's crops including rice, wheat, potato and soybeans."

Full report at MoneyControl dot com: https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/world/north-korea-has-asked-for-help-on-food-shortages-un-3570401.html

At the UK Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/02/22/north-korea-faces-food-crisis-ahead-landmark-summit/

Edited by Eldorado
fix title
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Gromdor said:

I'm surprised he isn't turning to China for that.

If the media are right they are already dependent on China but don't like the fact that beggars can't be choosers so will court (beg or blackmail) the UN, South Korea and the US.

China already tried some investment of cash and expertise but it turned into a fiasco.

From the NY Times:

“This isn’t just about us — it is about all companies investing in North Korea,” he said. “They just don’t have the conditions for foreigners to invest. They say they welcome investment, but they don’t have the legal or social foundations.” https://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/06/business/global/north-korea-blasts-chinese-company-in-failed-deal.html

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

If the media are right they are already dependent on China but don't like the fact that beggars can't be choosers so will court (beg or blackmail) the UN, South Korea and the US.

China already tried some investment of cash and expertise but it turned into a fiasco.

From the NY Times:

“This isn’t just about us — it is about all companies investing in North Korea,” he said. “They just don’t have the conditions for foreigners to invest. They say they welcome investment, but they don’t have the legal or social foundations.” https://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/06/business/global/north-korea-blasts-chinese-company-in-failed-deal.html

Yeah, I agree with you.  He is setting up the groundwork to scam some aid/money from someone.  The timing is about right: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-kim-jong-uns-summit-in-vietnam-what-to-expect-from-the-leaders-second-meeting

• Like 2

On 2/22/2019 at 6:40 PM, Gromdor said:

It seems logical but goes against China's need to make him an irritant to America.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

It seems logical but goes against China's need to make him an irritant to America.

After thinking about it, Eldorado is right.  Kim is putting it out there for Trump similar to how my wife puts out Christmas present ideas for herself the month before Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Trade Sanctions on NK isn't really making things going anywhere ...

~

Jan 11, 2019 - Introduction. Sanctions against North Korea (Democratic People's Republic of Korea) were expanded in May 2016 in response to nuclear ...
~
On January 31, 2019, e.l.f. Cosmetics, Inc. (“ELF”) agreed to pay $996,080 to settle its potential civil liability for 156 apparent violations of the North Korea ...
~
The EU first introduced restrictive measures against the DPRK in December 2006. The EU also reinforced the UN's sanctions regime by adopting autonomous ...

~

The Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) introduces additional sanctions with regard to North Korea. Please visit the link below ...

~

The interactive below outlines the sanctions imposed by the United Nations Security Council on North Korea over the past twelve years, on top of earlier ...

~

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Trade Sanctions on NK isn't really making things going anywhere ...

Preventing North Korea from investing and developing it's industry, especially mining. Developments in mining industry would mean that 6-10 trillion $ worth of minerals ( estimates ) could be made available to people of the country. But, with lack of proper tools, lack of quality in electricity producing and especially because of mentioned sanctions... Now we have a case of a country which is extremely rich in resources but still have to ask for help.

They've been through worse tho.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

Preventing North Korea from investing and developing it's industry, especially mining. Developments in mining industry would mean that 6-10 trillion $ worth of minerals ( estimates ) could be made available to people of the country. But, with lack of proper tools, lack of quality in electricity producing and especially because of mentioned sanctions... Now we have a case of a country which is extremely rich in resources but still have to ask for help.

The times. they are a changing ... the swamps though, they remains

~

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

What evidence can you cite that any wealth would be shared with the people?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, and then said:

What evidence can you cite that any wealth would be shared with the people?

What evidence can you cite that it won't? As if, by that standards, as if the US oil wealth is shared among people :) But we can't make a case that US government is stealing resources of American people. It's laughable, such remarks and accusations are just thin.

One more thing, if American president respects Kimmy than who are we to say such horrible things to North's leader?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

What evidence can you cite that it won't? 

The fact a country of potentially starving people is run by a morbidly obese person is suggestive, don’t you agree?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

What evidence can you cite that it won't?

world history is pretty strong evidence 

except for SA and kingdom of Brunei i can't think of any country whose gvmnt shares wealth with all of their people

14 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The fact a country of potentially starving people is run by a morbidly obese person is suggestive, don’t you agree?

I like that :D

What i can't understand is that horrible floods from 1990's are still being used as a case against North Korean leadership. There was also natural disaster in strong countries and people still didn't get much help. Sanctions imposed on NK are very tough. From concern of ''worker abuse'' and money being spent on Nukes, NK can't even export textiles and export is, i guess(?) important for imports? Meanwhile workers in Apple factories in China enjoy all the benefits of working for giant company. I mean, it's not that simple man.

13 hours ago, aztek said:

world history is pretty strong evidence 

That is not enough but generally speaking, what history? One written by MSM over last few decades? In that case i agree there are plenty of evidence for whatever stands against central banks. Saudi's, as you can agree i see, are far larger problem to their people than Kim is but Saudis are easily handled (legacy of 1973 oil $ introduction). Kim is sovereign leader, enough to be hated these days. Everyone has problems so does NK but their problems are made to be far worse than they actually are. That's my opinion.

If you can like provide links about those evidences i would be very glad to learn more, from what i know i didn't find much evidence of general abuse by regime. NK is tightly closed country and lack of information tends to became fertile for all sorts of theories and claims.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:40 AM, Gromdor said:

yes, thats right. China is a capitalist system under communist control so whats to stop Kim from developing NK along the same lines? nothing. this is all about control and running the world community around in the same repetitive circles. this has played out many times in the past. the North Korean leadership gets the aid and then sells it to raise hard currency. 

If only all those resources that went into hacking US computers, building nuclear weapons, etc were put towards feeding their people. Russia got away with taking control of Crimea so maybe we should rush in and take N korea and hand over power to S Korea then cite Putin's own words "only citizens themselves, in conditions of free expression of will and their security can determine their future"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paperboy said:

If only all those resources that went into hacking US computers, building nuclear weapons, etc were put towards feeding their people. Russia got away with taking control of Crimea so maybe we should rush in and take N korea and hand over power to S Korea then cite Putin's own words "only citizens themselves, in conditions of free expression of will and their security can determine their future"

North Korea has enough artillery and rockets on the border to fire 10,000 rounds a minute into Seoul.  There are literally tens of millions of people already in range of their weapons before a war even starts.  Add to that the fact that they now have nukes and can launch it all the way to the west coast and you can see how it is a different situation from Syria, Crimea, or Iraq. 

On 2019. 3. 4. at 5:47 AM, Gromdor said:

North Korea has enough artillery and rockets on the border to fire 10,000 rounds a minute into Seoul.  There are literally tens of millions of people already in range of their weapons before a war even starts.  Add to that the fact that they now have nukes and can launch it all the way to the west coast and you can see how it is a different situation from Syria, Crimea, or Iraq. 

Indeed, When war breaks out, please remember your forum friend, Mr. Daenoin probably will be stroked by enormous rocket missile!

North Korea crisis makes me sad because anytime it can reap my life from the earth! God! Please Save me!!!

13 hours ago, Great Old Man said:

Indeed, When war breaks out, please remember your forum friend, Mr. Daenoin probably will be stroked by enormous rocket missile!

North Korea crisis makes me sad because anytime it can reap my life from the earth! God! Please Save me!!!

I'm fine with taking in refugees from South Korea in that event. 

On 2019. 3. 7. at 9:38 AM, Gromdor said:

I'm fine with taking in refugees from South Korea in that event. 

Thanks, It will be really lucky when I successfully evade from R.O.K when crisis breaks out.

(Actually a few of my relatives are Americans)

By the way, I hope that Kim Jung eun choose the right path(denuclearization) for peace.

However, Will Kim give up the whole "nuclear missles?"

I don't think so, and that's the reason why I fear the "the Second Korean war's possibility".

Edited by Great Old Man