Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Marks left 200 years ago found on canal wall

3 posts in this topic

Still Waters

Marks left by men involved in the building of the Caledonian Canal 200 years ago have been found during work to replace lock gates on the waterway.

Scottish Canals has drained a 7,293m (23,927ft) long section of the canal to provide safe access to the gates at Fort Augustus and nearby Kytra.

Several stonemasons' marks have been found carved into stone of the walls that line the canal.

The marks would normally be hidden underwater.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-47317827

• Like 1

the13bats

I do my version of that,  our fixer upper house built 1909 had a cool past, a 1940s sign shop used the basement as a business, and the office walls still has phone numbers and memos jotted on it and places things had been taped, cool stuff is under floors and down in vents ranging back to 1909,

Carpenters marks are found on wood throughout and we found several hidden spaces, and for example i write on the plumbing i replace the date i am working on it,

• Like 1

Still Waters

Related:

Walks on bottom of Caledonian Canal

Members of the public have been able to wander along the bottom of a drained section of the UK's biggest canal.

Open almost 200 years ago, the Caledonian Canal in the Highlands took 12 years to build.

The waterway's 60 miles (96.5km) length includes lochs Ness, Oich and Lochy and 22 miles (35km) of canal with 29 locks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-47496621

• Like 1